...and speaking of last minute gigs

Discussion in 'The Big Show' started by rickryan.com, Aug 21, 2015.

1. rickryan.com

rickryan.com Well-Known Member

I just had an interesting call that I didn't see coming. One of my country club contacts down in Franklin called. Next Wednesday, I'm supplying A/V for the Williamson County Women Republicans association as they host Presidential candidate, Dr. Ben Carson. I'll wire Carson, have two runners with hand-held mics and my wife has been cleared to come take photos. It'll be 250 guests, which will pack that facility, and I'll be doing 2 wired and 2 wireless speakers to cover it. Pay is peanuts, $200, but he told me the head of the association was very interested to meet me (probably was the cheap price). This could get interesting.............

2. rickryan.com

and speaking of wireless links. I've used my AT lav mics for this but wondering if it would be better to go ahead and pickup some real wireless units. Can anybody recommend some units to look at?

3. Jeff Romard

Jeff Romard Moderator Staff Member

There's nothing wrong with picking up a couple of hundred on a Wednesday night with limited work. The only thing I find with working with political parties ( I've worked for all the major parties here) is the price never goes up they expect the same the next time. Do you have to pay the runners or is the party paying them?.

I don't own one of these but I have used them as rentals on several occasions and found them to be very reliable

SM93 Lavalier Microphone | Shure Americas

4. DJ Ricky B

DJ Ricky B Well-Known Member

I'm a Republican.

...I really like Dr. Carson. I find myself agreeing with him all the time when he speaks. He seems very intelligent (Would have to be seeing he was a Brain Surgeon before). I am positive he has virtually no chance to win, but let me know what you think of what he has to say at this small conference.

Jeff Romard likes this.
  5. dunlopj

dunlopj Well-Known Member

The hardest part is going to be your security clearances.

6. rickryan.com

There was no security clearance (he's not the nominee yet). Carson just finished a few minutes ago. I had to cover several rooms and ended up using 2 QSC K10s and 2 EV ZXa1s. Three units wired together and spread about 60 feet (2 different rooms). The fourth unit I tapped wirelessly with an AT lav mic setup. I had 2 hand-helds (audience mics for question/answer session) and 1 lav unit, which I wired on Carson. Problem was, once he got to the platform he grabbed one of the hand-helds. I quickly re-configured the lav channel to a 3rd hand-held. I have to admit though, and Bob will like this, I didn't even think about media needing an audio feed. Had 3 TV stations in attendance so I gave them a tap off my sub-mixer. Fortunately, everything ran smooth with no hiccups. I did have to chase Carson's crew down to get my lav back. I have to say, that guy is one more inspirational character. He's so smooth, so at ease and so genuine. Up to this point I kinda saw him as stuffy or boring but in person he was electrifying. What a great gig.

7. DJ Ricky B

DJ Ricky B Well-Known Member

Dr. Carson might just get my vote. He and Huckabee are my top choices. ...If it weren't for them two, I might actually be a Trump Voter. This election will be the most interesting election we have seen in a long time...maybe ever.

IceBurghDJ likes this.
  8. rickryan.com

I've liked Carson but to be honest, he just doesn't play well to TV spots. Too subdued in his personality. However, getting the chance to be around him for a few minutes, backstage, then watching how he gave thoughtful, sincere answers to the questions presented, well, he sure impressed me.

9. rickryan.com

10. robare99

robare99 Active Member

Nice. I put in a quote for an all candidates Q&A forum for our Canadian federal election. The candidates are all from our riding. Pretty easy setup.

5 mics on short mic stands
    Mixer
    SOS
    A monitor so they can hear the questions
    Wireless mic for questions.

$300 on a Monday. Not bad.

Jeff Romard and ittigger like this.