Anybody here ever done a wrestling event?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I had a call today from a wrestling promoter. Said he wants to hire a DJ for their event in Nashville on 5/21. After chatting I finally understood that this is a new level of event they're trying to put together. They're basically wanting a DJ to supply their sound system. I asked him how they'd done setups before and he said the DJ sets up speakers (either 2 or 4 tops) near the doors where the wrestlers make their entrance. This event is a step up in production for them and he said they'd never attempted anything this large. 700 attendees in an 11k sq ft room (he said gym-sized). He also said they had $1,000 to work with. No lighting would be needed. Just seating music, entrance bumps and after-show.

I tried to be straight with the guy and told him we haven't done anything like this and I was doubtful that I had enough sound to do it justice. I also told him that, among the mobile DJ jocks he's calling, I probably have the biggest rig around town. I think that really he ought to be calling a production A/V group for sound and have them throw in a DJ. I told him I'd make some calls and get back with him. He said he was going back to his partners to discuss perhaps changing their plans. So all this said, any words of wisdom here? I just can't see anything less than a huge system to get to the volume level to get over the top of 700 screaming fans. What say you?

Agree .. You're talking a lot of gear to do it justice.

There was a guy on here awhile back that did stuff for UFC or something - required a butt ton of stuff.

I would agree too. May I ask what do you have to use if you did the event? My reason for asking this is I've seen some others do a school dance on here and to me didn't have enough gear. They said they did and if it worked for them fine. I just saw one that they had 900 attendees and to me even though the setup was great looking I just say they didn't have enough sound for that large a crowd.

I would agree too. May I ask what do you have to use if you did the event? My reason for asking this is I've seen some others do a school dance on here and to me didn't have enough gear. They said they did and if it worked for them fine. I just saw one that they had 900 attendees and to me even though the setup was great looking I just say they didn't have enough sound for that large a crowd.

Without renting, I have the following available;

4 , 15" full-range, passive cabinets
2, 12" EV Live-x active
2, 10" KSC K10 active
2, EV zlax1 active
2, Yorkville ls801p subs

It's not that big a deal. You're not in a stadium - 11k SqFt is equivalent to a four salon ballroom, about 80ft x 140ft. 700 people isn't as big a crowd as you think - I've had Proms that size.

It's not the size of the crowd, per-se, but the expectations of a wrestling crowd. I think "power bass" is the norm, and I would expect a double 18 or 2 for each top you'd have. The music is usually deafening, at least for entrances and usually over the top .. it's a carnival event.

It's not the size of the crowd, per-se, but the expectations of a wrestling crowd. I think "power bass" is the norm, and I would expect a double 18 or 2 for each top you'd have. The music is usually deafening, at least for entrances and usually over the top .. it's a carnival event.

That's pretty well what I was thinking also. I could easily do a wedding in an 11k room for 700 people but you add the excitement and 700 screaming fans is going to be pretty hard to get over the top of.

I've only been to one around here when my son was young but it was pretty raucous ...

I did one show about 10 years ago for about 350 or so and it was plenty loud with 2 earthquakes and 4 JRX 115's. I probably gouls have doubled that crowd with it actually. Room was about 12,000 Sq Ft

The big thing I found was you really need a script provided and be able to work fast. If they have a good script it's fairly easy I suspect not so much without it

I say it's about positioning of the speakers. You have plenty in my eyes sir. It's not like it a regular party or wedding where you're expected to keep music playing the whole time looking to get a crowd up dancing like crazy. I don't see you playing all this music while the wrestlers are having at it.

The expectation is clear: $1,000 budget. Everything else follows from that regardless of whether the room is a gymn, rink, or stadium.

The expectation is clear: $1,000 budget. Everything else follows from that regardless of whether the room is a gymn, rink, or stadium.
That's the client's expectation .. the audience has a different one. One would have to decide if fulfilling the needs of the client and potentially NOT of the audience is sufficient. YMMV

Bose says each L1 can fill a room up to 500 people, so I'd bring 2 l1's. No problem.

Just kidding. :)

Bose says each L1 can fill a room up to 500 people, so I'd bring 2 l1's. No problem.

Just kidding. :)

Now you're just tryin' to dtart a fight Hanna ;)

Reactions: Scott Hanna
I did one show about 10 years ago for about 350 or so and it was plenty loud with 2 earthquakes and 4 JRX 115's. I probably gouls have doubled that crowd with it actually. Room was about 12,000 Sq Ft...
GOULS... ghosts and goblins!:laugh:
Now you're just tryin' to dtart a fight Hanna ;)
Someone has a case of WACKY FINGER today!:laugh:

Reactions: Jeff Romard