Batteries in wireless mics

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I'm usually against using rechargeable batteries for wireless mics. However, at my day job, I installed a perm-install system in the campus auditorium. It's 2, 4-channel GTD units and 1, 2-channel GTD. Total of 10 wireless mics. The system works very well but I heard a complaint today about how many batteries they go through. I'm tempted to suggest some Eneloop batteries. These are re-chargeables, which I've heard a lot of photographers use for their speedlights. I believe they're a bit higher amps and seem to last a long time.

Anybody care to weigh in on this?

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Rechargeable batteries for mics? Most rechargeable are 1.2v instead of 1.5v. The decay curve drops below usable power levels even though the battery is not discharged.

I use the generic Amazon bulk brand and their staying power is quite remarkable compared to copper-tops and some of the so-called Pro series.

If you go rechargeable, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

I have and used GTD audio mic systems and amps for years (I introduced the brand to this board a few years ago an most of you laughed at me at the time) I use good quality alkaline batteries in them and get long life out of them if I use Energizer lithium I get about a year from them.

Rechargeable batteries for mics? Most rechargeable are 1.2v instead of 1.5v. The decay curve drops below usable power levels even though the battery is not discharged.

I use the generic Amazon bulk brand and their staying power is quite remarkable compared to copper-tops and some of the so-called Pro series.

If you go rechargeable, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Personally, I don't use rechargeables. I use Energizers. The situation is they often have events where they're using 10 mics, or 20 batteries. These aren't profit-making events, they are govt meetings. The lady in charge of the sound system keeps getting hassled by her boss because she's having to keep buying AA batteries. I'm just trying to help her find a solution.

I have been using Eneloops now for about 2 years. Love those things. They do maintain and hold a good charge. Cap you are right about the voltage, but I cannot hear an audible difference and my wireless mics are only used for speeches, announcements, toasts, MC duties, etc... not singing performances. The few times I have had to provide sound support to a singer at a wedding or reception even they prefer the hard wired microphone. Here is some more information for those interested:
Panasonic 4th Generation Eneloop Pro Rechargeable Batteries

[QUOTE="rickryan.com, post: 574287, member: 1650". The lady in charge of the sound system keeps getting hassled by her boss because she's having to keep buying AA batteries..[/QUOTE]

Is she buying them because she has to, or because she thinks she needs to? I know a couple of people who change out every gig because they think they should. The other problem could be that at the end of events, whoever is doing sound is not turning them off.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
[QUOTE="rickryan.com, post: 574287, member: 1650". The lady in charge of the sound system keeps getting hassled by her boss because she's having to keep buying AA batteries..

Is she buying them because she has to, or because she thinks she needs to? I know a couple of people who change out every gig because they think they should. The other problem could be that at the end of events, whoever is doing sound is not turning them off.[/QUOTE]
I change all the batteries out in my equipment before every gig. I guess I could take the batteries out and test them to see how much of a charge remains, but I guess I'm just lazy![emoji2] There is a price you pay for being lazy sometimes. [emoji4]
I haven't considered using rechargeable batteries. It will be interesting to see how they work out for those using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lady in charge of the sound system keeps getting hassled by her boss because she's having to keep buying AA batteries..
They choose to purchase the cheapest of the possible equipment options and some how she is surprised that her boss is hassling her about something as cheap as batteries (AA Duracell x 2 < .90)...just proves the adage that cheap begets cheap begets more cheap.

DJ Bobcat,

I too change batteries before every event but my cost : profit is purposefully not seriously impacted by a $2 necessary supply as it would be if my equipment failed as a result of overused batteries.

Know your role, Jahbroni!

The lady in charge of the sound system keeps getting hassled by her boss because she's having to keep buying AA batteries..

Is she buying them because she has to, or because she thinks she needs to? I know a couple of people who change out every gig because they think they should. The other problem could be that at the end of events, whoever is doing sound is not turning them off.

Mine run for 10 hours before the battery signal starts flashing.

I use Duracell Procells .. last longer than the copper tops and buying them in bulk isn't any more expensive.