bridal show

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I disagree to a point on the hardware .. I think having some "gear" makes you look like a DJ to someone walking by (as long as it's clean gear and not blasting away). With just a slideshow and pictures, someone needs to guess that you're a DJ or a lighting guy or a designer. I used to help my wife at Bridal Shows .. she used to sell Wedding Invitations .. and went to a few.

I agree that having some gear to make you look like a DJ is relevant and necessary, but Red Hot gave the impression that he wanted the gear there so he could explain to attendees how it all works. He wanted the gear to be his focal point.

I would consider having my rack gear and speakers displayed and hooked up at the back of the booth below the tv so there is background gear to add to the theme of the booth.

It's there to talk about if someone inquires about it, but I would not have any gear on my main table to try and use as a conversation piece or starter.

Last edited:
At what point does trying to stand out come across as cheesy or desperate?

I mean, you could have a 30' pole and banners hanging from it, wear a suit with lighting build into it, a 10 gallon hat - youd' be remembered and to some that is all it takes.

I guess it depends on what you're selling - classy, fun, cheesy, etc.

As for the table cloth I have a black one with a penguin on it.

At what point does trying to stand out come across as cheesy or desperate?

I mean, you could have a 30' pole and banners hanging from it, wear a suit with lighting build into it, a 10 gallon hat - youd' be remembered and to some that is all it takes.

I hear what you're saying but keep in mind, the shows this guy is talking about are at the convention center. This is a huge space with 25-30 ft ceilings (estimating here). Not a lot of vendors will have 15 foot t-bars, and this dude is selling drapery. While I haven't seen his setup, his work is superb so it makes sense. I'm thinking very strongly of doing the big show (Pink Bridal) in January so I might have to borrow his idea. I already have 12 ft extendables and a couple of 15s would be cheap and likely use the same base plates I already have. If I did a drapery hang with a huge vertical banner in front, I could see that as a very positive attention getter. At the very least I think it would shake up some of the old guard in town who has been hearing my name but never seen me at a tradeshow.

Reactions: DJ TJ
I agree that having some gear to make you look like a DJ is relevant and necessary, but Red Hot gave the impression that he wanted the gear there so he could explain to attendees how it all works. He wanted the gear to be his focal point.

You must of misunderstood what I was saying, I'm not trying to sell my equipment, I'm trying to make it easy for brides to figure out what I do. The only selling or explaining that I will be doing is telling the brides that I will be the right choice for their very special day and I will have the equipment there to back up my words

Reactions: steve149
Ok, no problem. That's how it came across to me anyways.

My advice to you still stands.
Take the mixer off the table, put your gear at the back of the booth below a tv slideshowing "lifestyle" dj dancing pics with a speaker playing pop/dance tunes at very low volume and get a decent sized banner, not your small sign as pictured.
A little ambient/up-lighting with slow colour changes, but no atmospherics.
Best of luck to you.:)

Reactions: steve149 and SEDJ
We just got back in from the show. This was the first time we have been to Francesca's as for doing a bridal show, very nice turn out. Most brides to be were looking at 2017. There were 3 other DJs there, 2 were from the local radio station. I feel happy about the event. We just have to wait and see what it might bring.

100_2977.jpg 100_2976.jpg

I'm late here, but I like Chuck's sign because it points out a few things (karaoke, unique parties etc.) and the graphics make it more appealing. I also like the way Chuck is standing and smiling with one hand in pocket.

I used to go to bridal shows with an agency and one thing we did was show that we had upbeat personalities. You'd think we were at a party sometimes! That's part of the emotional aspect, and personality is a big part of what you're selling. Talk to brides in an upbeat way while showing that you're also knowledgable about weddings. Loosen up, relax, smile, be friendly - have fun.

Reactions: DJ TJ