Weddings Brides wanting different/hard to find music

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm also a husband, which means at one time, I was a groom. Many of the members here are married. I guess we're still not qualified to understand?

I'll just chime in here real quick...being recently married (not even two months yet) and the fact that both of us are DJs.

For my personal tastes, Tony, your music is way too cheesy and way overpriced for what a person is getting. But that's my personal take.

As for the business take, yes, we have bought one of your songs for a client...we griped and complained the whole time about the price to ourselves.

To suggest that $11 is worth every penny for an emotional memory is fine, but please don't forget you can buy entire albums for that price that can have just as large of an emotional impact if not bigger.

Once again on a personal note, I hope we never get another client who wants an over priced song, by you or anyone else.

If I need music that I don't have. If they have it I will suggest they provide it if they have it. If not I will spend up to 20 dollars for music for there event. I had a bride provide a list of special ceremony songs. She did not have them. I went looking for them. I found them on only 1 site.

They where 10 to 30 dollars each. She wanted what totaled 150 dollars worth of songs. It took me about 10 minutes to call her and let her know that it would never happen. She was suprised that they where all on only one site (yea right) and said no problem what ever you can do.

This is almost funny coming from a bunch of guys that think $100/hr isn't enough to "make memories"

No doubt Jeff. Merry Freaking Christmas. This is exactly why the industry continues to dive face first in the muck. A PM mentality that we know it all and coming from folks who many came to this site to escape this very kind of public thrashing. How embarrasing. I spoke to Tony on the phone and he is a good person. If he wants to charge 20 dollars per single who here has a right to chastise who here has a right to call another persons creation cheesy etc. If one doesnt like it they might consider avoiding comment. What a concept. As Jeff said and I agree. We complain about cheapskate clients etc yet we sit here and slam an individual who is making what he feels his product should sell for. Dont buy it. Refuse to get it when your bride asks sweetly for it as one of her chosen songs. What purpose does it create to bash for ones price structure or to call their creation cheesy?
Condescending comments caused a total stranger to stand firm and comment. Its pretty sad that some feel tough when typing on the computer.

One more thing!! I challenge almost anyone here to do what Tony has done and report back next yr on the results. Other than a few here who have recorded and know the ropes, I feel none are likely able to know what Tony does nor would any qualify their comments made. I personally thank Tony Carter for giving brides choices other than the same songs 40 brides will use each season.

I can only speak for my portions of this thread. I speak for no one but myself - not as an "industry", nor this site (just one member of it). I have no doubt that Tony Carter is a good person, as are Jon Tuck, and Steve Sharp, and many others. I'm not a know it all. In fact, I asked Tony Carter, who charges up to ten times the price for his music than what is considered the "norm", how he does it. How would understanding and attempting to emulate his business success constitute "chastising" him? I even SPECIFICALLY STATED that I was not flaming. On the other hand, I FELT condescended to, by Tony Carter.

I have a question, though.

I remember a specific thread where Beyonce's music was thrashed. Was that shameful as well? Would it be different if Beyonce were on these forums? What opinions are "fair game" and what ones aren't, and why?

Mr. Carter!!

I do understand the frustration on having to pay the higher price for independent music. Please understand that because we don't sell millions of copies, it's impossible to recoup the money spent for recording if sold for .99 like Itunes. We do our best and I do have a lot of positive feedback from DJs that are glad to offer something new. Since launching our new website in August, we now provide a DJ discount for those who register. Saving are usually 25% - 35% off normal price.

I hope that for those of you that have purchased, you have used my songs more than once. I have a lot of requests, my youtube videos are over 4 million in the past year, and the comments and reviews are very positive. Haven't really gotten the "cheesy" or "non-sentimental" comments, but everyone is entitled to that opinion.

Feel free to contact me. I want to work with DJs and often provide additional discounts to those who understand and appreciate what I'm trying to do. I really want to offer something that's great that also has not been played a million times over. Brides and grooms appreciate that and are looking for that.

Best wishes,

Tony Carter
T Carter Music

We purchased your music for my bride in September as she wanted it. (She paid for it;) When your music was played, emotions filled the room. Amazing. Please keep up the good work.

it looked like he was answering all doubts on what he does

It also seems when asking questions some forcefully ask for answers iin such a way that one might take it as being backed in a corner especially when being told their price is ludicrous or their music is terrible and even Cheesy.

I didnt find Tony's response condescending. I do feel that some have a very thin skin and no matter what one might reply in answering ones deep digging questions the Questioning party would never be satisfied. Unless of course this was the one in a million odd instance. If so Steve I stand corrected. Glad you have memory of such unimportant topics which seem to cause one to lose sleep such as a Beyonce thread.:sqwink:
I can only speak for my portions of this thread. I speak for no one but myself - not as an "industry", nor this site (just one member of it). I have no doubt that Tony Carter is a good person, as are Jon Tuck, and Steve Sharp, and many others. I'm not a know it all. In fact, I asked Tony Carter, who charges up to ten times the price for his music than what is considered the "norm", how he does it. How would understanding and attempting to emulate his business success constitute "chastising" him? I even SPECIFICALLY STATED that I was not flaming. On the other hand, I FELT condescended to, by Tony Carter.

I have a question, though.

I remember a specific thread where Beyonce's music was thrashed. Was that shameful as well? Would it be different if Beyonce were on these forums? What opinions are "fair game" and what ones aren't, and why?

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some just said it in a way that could be taken the wrong way. Some flat out just said it and it wasn't to T Carter's liking.

I myself really liked the song I played. It was a great song. I myself, do not like the price. That is nothing against the music or the man who wrote, sang and produced it.

There are a lot of things I would like, but don't buy because of price. Also things I need that I don't buy. I find ways to use something else.

So I would like to apologize to Tony if I offended him. It is nothing against his music, just I would prefer if one of my couples wanted his music, to purchase it themselves. And that is what they did.

Let's put the numbers in perspective..

Let's say that the event is $400.00
and the cost of the recording(s) is $11.00
Your percentage of expenses is 2.75%, which to me is a minimal expense to make a client happy.

If you're charging $600.00
cost of recording(s) is $11.00
Your percentage of expenses is 1.83%

etc, etc....

YMMV

Karl the point is if one doesnt like the price they can simply tell their client sorry but you arent worth 11 bucks. I would need 911 dollars if you expect me to purchase the cd for your special day.

Thanks Kirby for presenting the math. I am amused that so many of our bunch want so much for such little input.

Jon, like Kirby said, YMMV. Mine does. I convinced my couple to buy the cd so they could have the keepsake case. If they would have not wanted to, I would have bought it.

I would do the same thing if the situation comes up again.

Another way to look at numbers. If you play 60 songs at an event, if each song was $10, that would be $600. I know you would not have to buy all of them but my point being 1 song should not cost 10X as much as the other 59 you play.

The example above where the DJ had to buy 50 songs, would you buy them all for that 1 event if they were $10 each? If the event was $400, you would lose $100.

I agree that 1 song for $11 is only a small percent of the total amount of the event but do that enough and it is a big deal. At least to me and obviously others.

That doesn't make my opinion any better than anyone elses, just different.

well I wasnt arguing anyones views here. My issue was with how some jumped on this new member almost saying how dare you charge 10 for a song. He has to make the price choice himself and a bunch of Rocket Scientist DJs arent going to help or ruin his efforts. He will be responsible for it totally himself. the old saying Opinions are like.....................

Let's put the numbers in perspective..

Let's say that the event is $400.00
and the cost of the recording(s) is $11.00
Your percentage of expenses is 2.75%, which to me is a minimal expense to make a client happy.

If you're charging $600.00
cost of recording(s) is $11.00
Your percentage of expenses is 1.83%

etc, etc....

YMMV

Let's take it one further and amortize that song over the amount of times you will use it for the next 10 years.....

I'll just chime in here real quick...being recently married (not even two months yet) and the fact that both of us are DJs.

For my personal tastes, Tony, your music is way too cheesy and way overpriced for what a person is getting. But that's my personal take.

As for the business take, yes, we have bought one of your songs for a client...we griped and complained the whole time about the price to ourselves.

To suggest that $11 is worth every penny for an emotional memory is fine, but please don't forget you can buy entire albums for that price that can have just as large of an emotional impact if not bigger.

Once again on a personal note, I hope we never get another client who wants an over priced song, by you or anyone else.

Anna - didn't your mother tell you that if you have nothing good to say about something....

You post was just plain rude....

This thread was not about whether you liked or disliked the music...To the one bride who truly felt the connections with Tony's song;that $15 album is squat.

I hope a bride who desires that special song, finds a DJ service that truly wants to provide personalized and professional service; not one too cheap to pony up a couple of bucks to add that extra level of service...

Based on the responses of a couple here; I guess I'm not the "wet blanket" here.....

Good Show !!! :sqmad:

Tony - my aplogies....

well I wasnt arguing anyones views here. My issue was with how some jumped on this new member almost saying how dare you charge 10 for a song. He has to make the price choice himself and a bunch of Rocket Scientist DJs arent going to help or ruin his efforts. He will be responsible for it totally himself. the old saying Opinions are like.....................

We should be jumping all over those DJ's that charge $200 for an hours work...They'll say they're prices are fair....

I have no issue with what other DJs or recording artists charge it has no affect on my wallet. No one said life was fair nor that one price is fair compared to another.

While I remained neutral on the price of Tony's work, I did point out that there are definitely opportunities there to make the same level/better product for less, but that's it.

In the end, I don't see bride's complaining.

If anything, we should all take a clue from the philosophy he expressed here that drives and justifies his approach to his products. Regardless of what we think of the product itself, how can we apply his philosphy to what it is we are doing?

He is in a position many among us have spent 25+ years trying to be in - of building business by word of mouth and online marketing alone.

There is definitely something to be learned here for anyone wise enough to take a step back from the price tag on the cd itself.