Weddings Cancelled Weddings: Will The DJ Be Part Of This Equation.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I think it's a fantastic idea. Obviously, the contracts would have to be re-inked but I had a 6/29 blow out on me. Yea, I got half the money but I'd rather get all the money working for someone else instead of having to tag along on one of my other crew's jobs to run lighting and video.

Reactions: 2 people
Not for me. My contract is with one person and can not be transfered.
Yeah but a cancelled Wedding may only get you the Deposit. Lets suppose the Total fee was $1,000.00 with 50% Down = $500.00 received. If there is a cancellation, early enough, you only get $500. The original Bride sells the package to the second Bride for $800.00. She keeps/recoups $300.00 and you get the balance $500.00. Now you have received the whole amount. Another way is for you to advertise the Date as on a Resale Special for $800.00 to the second Bride. So now you get $500.00 (From 1st Bride) + $800.00 (From 2nd Bride) = $1,300.00
Note, in some cases, if it is for example days before the Date that the Cancellation occurs, then you may get to keep the whole amount.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah but a cancelled Wedding may only get you the Deposit. Lets suppose the Total fee was $1,000.00 with 50% Down = $500.00 received. If there is a cancellation, early enough, you only get $500. The original Bride sells the package to the second Bride for $800.00. She keeps/recoups $300.00 and you get the balance $500.00. Now you have received the whole amount. Another way is for you to advertise the Date as on a Resale Special for $800.00 to the second Bride. So now you get $500.00 (From 1st Bride) + $800.00 (From 2nd Bride) = $1,300.00
Note, in some cases, if it is for example days before the Date that the Cancellation occurs, then you may get to keep the whole amount.

Not that easy. For me there are a lot of variables involved.

* As stated in my contract.
* I get 75% of the contract amount if the event is canceled, by the client, within 30 days of the event date.
* 100% if canceled within two weeks
* All cancellations must be in writing
* If I don't get a written cancellation, I show up for the event and am entitled the full amount
*The contract and retainers are not transferable.

I don't waver on the terms of my contract. Once you start being flexible with the terms of your contract, you may not be able to win in court if you had to sue someone.

So the replacement bride would need to sign a new contract with me after the previous bride sent a written cancellation.

After all that, I may not want to work with the replacement bride.

Not saying all together that I wouldn't do it, but I'm not going to allow someone to sell off my services at a discount.

Reactions: 1 person
Not that easy. For me there are a lot of variables involved.

* As stated in my contract.
* I get 75% of the contract amount if the event is canceled, by the client, within 30 days of the event date.
* 100% if canceled within two weeks
* All cancellations must be in writing
* If I don't get a written cancellation, I show up for the event and am entitled the full amount
*The contract and retainers are not transferable.

I don't waver on the terms of my contract. Once you start being flexible with the terms of your contract, you may not be able to win in court if you had to sue someone.

So the replacement bride would need to sign a new contract with me after the previous bride sent a written cancellation.

After all that, I may not want to work with the replacement bride.

Not saying all together that I wouldn't do it, but I'm not going to allow someone to sell off my services at a discount.

First off, it's "waiver", not "waver". There's nothing here that says you can't keep the up-front retainer, just like you're doing now. There's also nothing here that says you HAVE to work with the new bride. If you want to pick up the new contract and apply a portion or all of the previous deposit to it, you get ALL of the money you were originally going to get from the date. It's brilliant.

And thank you Canute. I'm going to put a "SPECIAL DEAL" ad on craiglist today about my 6/29 opening. Maybe I can pickup that other $800 and salvage the date. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: 1 person
First off, it's "waiver", not "waver". There's nothing here that says you can't keep the up-front retainer, just like you're doing now. There's also nothing here that says you HAVE to work with the new bride. If you want to pick up the new contract and apply a portion or all of the previous deposit to it, you get ALL of the money you were originally going to get from the date. It's brilliant.

And thank you Canute. I'm going to put a "SPECIAL DEAL" ad on craiglist today about my 6/29 opening. Maybe I can pickup that other $800 and salvage the date. Thanks for the idea.

thnkcs four teh spilleng lescion.:p

I'm not saying that I wouldn't give a discounted price to re-book the date. What I am saying is that I would not allow anyone to resell my services via a brokerage firm.

When I do have someone cancel I send emails to past leads that I had that date open up and have re-booked the date several times.

Where can I send my Bill to you? :D

Reactions: 4 people
I'm a little confused (so what ELSE is new)
Does the website hook you up with the BRIDE so you can make your deal with her
and she can recoup (some of) her money?
Or are they advertising cancelled dates, that the vendors are offering at a discount?
I'd rather deal with the former bride to be, and help her...
rather than try to get a deal out of a venue, since they haven't "lost" any money.