Cargo Trailer to duex

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
life is a compromise...
Leaf Spring Axles versus Torsion Axles

The Torsion vs. Spring Axle Debate Demystified | Complete Trailers Blog

Mine has springs and I have no complaints. Both articles mention maintenance and repair..can't say I've done either...ever..on any trailer. Or car or truck. What maintenance on leaf springs? they don't need lubed, adjusted or anything of that nature.

The aging of the rubber in the torsion axles would be my biggest concern. After 5 to 8 years I'm sure they'll be dry rotting and crumbling.

life is a compromise...
Leaf Spring Axles versus Torsion Axles

The Torsion vs. Spring Axle Debate Demystified | Complete Trailers Blog

Mine has springs and I have no complaints. Both articles mention maintenance and repair..can't say I've done either...ever..on any trailer. Or car or truck. What maintenance on leaf springs? they don't need lubed, adjusted or anything of that nature.

The aging of the rubber in the torsion axles would be my biggest concern. After 5 to 8 years I'm sure they'll be dry rotting and crumbling.
i have torsion axles on my 10 year old car trailer, still working great

Reactions: ittigger
I still want to try tandem ... oh, you mean trailers .. never mind.

Reactions: ittigger
Steve, nice trailer! I know a thing or two about towing, more than I'd like to know... Get yourself a pair of Timbren's and bolt them in.
You'll notice a big difference since it looks like your 1/2 ton is not taking the added weight very well. Timbren's are inexpensive, easy to install and most importantly, effective. Timbren SES Suspension Upgrades - Upgrade Your Truck, Van, SUV

Steve It is actually pretty level almost as much as without the trailer. I will look into the Timbren though.
I think I should probably have a straight hitch ball mount. The guy who installed it put one with a 2 inch drop and turned it upside down. So it is 2" raised, and the truck then drops about an 1 1/2" when the trailer is hitched. Do you think that may be an issue? More pics below.

Steve, nice trailer! I know a thing or two about towing, more than I'd like to know... Get yourself a pair of Timbren's and bolt them in.
You'll notice a big difference since it looks like your 1/2 ton is not taking the added weight very well. Timbren's are inexpensive, easy to install and most importantly, effective. Timbren SES Suspension Upgrades - Upgrade Your Truck, Van, SUV

How much were the Timbrens? I was thinking possibly airbags.

Steve, he most likely put a 2" rise to HELP level it. If you put on a straight hitch mount, the truck would most likely drop even further. The Timbren's will have NO effect when there is no extra weight in the back of the truck. The tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the load to keep the trailer stable BUT remember, when you hit the brakes, the tongue will put additional downward force on the hitch, causing your truck's front end to raise if the rear suspension can't support it. When this happens, your steering becomes an issue. I cringe when I see guys not pulling travel trailers properly on the freeway. You are a smart guy, you'll be fine.