Compact Portable PA System

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm seriously contemplating getting a pair of these EVOX 8s .. I wish I could hear them nearby, but I may have to go by reviews. I got a good price on a pair+covers for under $3K .. that is less than the Bose L1 Model 1S with B2 sub ($3600 for pair or $3240 when they're on sale) and much less than the Model IIs.

The 12" sub is OK for my needs, though it kind of makes my Yamaha DXS12s redundant, though I can always use them for the lowest octaves when needed.

I do need to sell my Yorkville Unity set to make space or my new car gets booted back outside.

This seems to be a trend .. K-array, HK, Dawn Pro Audio .. all have sub with skinny top available. I bet we see a QSC version soon.

$_57.jpg

The EVOX 8 s have 8 2" drivers with a dispersion pattern of 120 degrees left and right, 30 degrees up and down. It has one 12" speaker sub. Comparing it to an L1S with 12 2" drivers, a dual 10" sub with a 180 degree left and right and (aprox) 10 degree up and down is like comparing cumquats to oranges.

It's less costly, not a better or comparable deal to the 1S.

Reactions: ittigger
Cap, with all due respect, have your heard in a side by side comparison, that the only real way to decide if it's a real competitor or not.

Reactions: ittigger
tunes4046 : Have you read the entire thread? The person who made mention of the L1S comparison, of whom I have the greatest respect for as well, said he too had not done the listening either but may buy relying on specs.

Don't be so quick to slam me if you are not able to read the thread in its entirety.

And to take the teeth out of the generally next absurd comments, yes I am a Bose Independent dealer. Yes, I am an ardent Bose L1 user for the past 11 or 12 years, and yes, I think it's the best overall mobile DJ sound system out here, but, no, I will not slam or bash or berate or belittle someone's choices as seem to be the demeanor of many about mine.

Giving respect to those who don't give it is one of the hardest spiritual lessons I must learn daily.

tunes4046 : Have you read the entire thread? The person who made mention of the L1S comparison, of whom I have the greatest respect for as well, said he too had not done the listening either but may buy relying on specs.

Don't be so quick to slam me if you are not able to read the thread in its entirety.

And to take the teeth out of the generally next absurd comments, yes I am a Bose Independent dealer. Yes, I am an ardent Bose L1 user for the past 11 or 12 years, and yes, I think it's the best overall mobile DJ sound system out here, but, no, I will not slam or bash or berate or belittle someone's choices as seem to be the demeanor of many about mine.

Giving respect to those who don't give it is one of the hardest spiritual lessons I must learn daily.

You are correct and I do love ya .. going by specs and reviews only on the EVOX ... which show similar freq response (-3db) 40-20K vs 40-14K and show the EVOX 10db louder at peak (relative to the L1 Model 1S w/B2), though above the only comparison I made was with pricing. Crossovers to tops seem to be equivalent (200hz for the Bose, 220hz for the RCF). It's tough comparing apples-apples as it's tough to get specs on the Bose components (for example the actual driver in the B2). It is certainly possible a single 12" will hold its own vs a dual 10" setup .. depends on voice coil size, magnet size, power, etc. The bass unit in the RCF gets 500w (1000w peak) .. the B2 gets 250w (and I assume 500w peak as it's not stated). The dispersion pattern is more in line with what I get now, though a little wider. It is not as wide as the Bose.

I do wish I could listen to them side by side. The RCF breaks down into a smaller rig and the cost is about $300 cheaper per side not accounting for 1/2 of a T1 (so actually almost $500 less per side if I bought a T1). The Bose looks a bit cleaner, since the RCF requires a Speakon cable to the top (whereas the Bose has a Speakon to the bass unit on the floor).

As for a comparison, on paper it actually DOES look like a better deal and performer .. in reality, I have no idea .. thus the desire to seek out the unit. The Bose we have locally at GC .. RCF isn't carried by many around me .. would have to go to the city or find a smaller dealer.

I'm not Bose bashing .. it's just nice that there are alternatives available.

Last edited:
I posted this in another post but didn't realize there was a thread already for this system. My bad! The RCF Evox 8's are AWESOME. I'm surprised others here are aware of these already, I actually just got a demo in Yesterday from our RCF rep and I used it for a Karaoke show at a local Middle school. 350 kids and it was plenty. You'd be shocked to see this thing in person and see how incredibly light and portable it is. That 12 inch sub packs a lot of punch and the highs are crisp and clear. The sub and top clip together and are carried with 1 handle, the only separate piece is the small bag that holds the extension pole and you can fit the IEC and the Speakon cables in the little bag also. It even comes with clips on the pole to hide the cables and not have to use Velcro. I look forward to purchasing the demo and another to complete the pair. I would use this setup for any DJ event in a midsize space up to 200-250 people. For Karaoke or Speaking you could easily do many events around 350 plus depending on the size of the room ( with 2 tops and 2 subs ). They are also extremely affordable and my brother is an RCF dealer so that made this system an easy decision for me.

In the bottom picture below you'll see the top of the RCF sticking up over a sea of middle schoolers, it really sounded amazing. This was in a cafeteria. ( We used the RCF in the cafeteria to do Karaoke and EV Tour X in their gym to do a dance. The kids hop back and forth between the 2 )

Attachments

• RCF Evox 8.jpg
    RCF Evox 8.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 24
I should also mention , having used Bose in the past , This RCF is definitely even easier t0 transport. Although Bose isn't too bad , it's still multiple bags and things to carry. The RCF can be carried completely with just 1 handle. And if you have 2 of them, there's a little cart RCF offers for around $100, to easily stack these and roll them into your event even easier. And although the stats are close, personally I think this blows away Bose with the sound quality/power. Just my opinion though.

I posted this in another post but didn't realize there was a thread already for this system. My bad! The RCF Evox 8's are AWESOME. I'm surprised others here are aware of these already, I actually just got a demo in Yesterday from our RCF rep and I used it for a Karaoke show at a local Middle school. 350 kids and it was plenty. You'd be shocked to see this thing in person and see how incredibly light and portable it is. That 12 inch sub packs a lot of punch and the highs are crisp and clear. The sub and top clip together and are carried with 1 handle, the only separate piece is the small bag that holds the extension pole and you can fit the IEC and the Speakon cables in the little bag also. It even comes with clips on the pole to hide the cables and not have to use Velcro. I look forward to purchasing the demo and another to complete the pair. I would use this setup for any DJ event in a midsize space up to 200-250 people. For Karaoke or Speaking you could easily do many events around 350 plus depending on the size of the room ( with 2 tops and 2 subs ). They are also extremely affordable and my brother is an RCF dealer so that made this system an easy decision for me.

In the bottom picture below you'll see the top of the RCF sticking up over a sea of middle schoolers, it really sounded amazing. This was in a cafeteria. ( We used the RCF in the cafeteria to do Karaoke and EV Tour X in their gym to do a dance. The kids hop back and forth between the 2 )
Ok Lone,
Indulge me here. I like your review but I am having a bit of trouble with the headcount numbers. I am relating this to what I use or would use for a certain amount as audience, as a matter of comparison. I have never heard the Evox but I have heard the Bose L1s and the Compacts. My Private Karaoke Group uses 2 Bose Compacts in a home for our meetups. I think it is a good choice because you can hear and feel the power without the blaring.
I think in terms of what I use in a small restaurant/bar for Karaoke, the regular Bose 802s + 1 JBL MRX518s or 1 or 2 JBL 15" Scoops. This covers 70 people at great listening volumes without blaring. For over 100 I will use 2 Scoops, for 300 + I will use 4 Scoops.
You are proposing that a pair of these EVOX units will serve 200-250 for DJ and 350 for Karaoke. I am skeptical, very skeptical. You surely must be referring to blaring sound not a natural effortless powerful natural tone. I just can't wrap my head around this. Maybe some peoples idea of coverage is different to mine.
I have seen guys use 2 QSC K 10s with one sub in a Sm/Medium Bar about 150 people and they sounded like shyt, loud, blaring, tinny like wind coming through tin foil. I have no use for 8" or 10" 2 Ways.
For DJing to 300 people or Karaoke I would not dare use anything less than 4 JBL Scoops or two JBL SRX/STX 728s as subs.
I will have to seek out an EVOX dealer/store in Houston to hear for myself.
Now if you all were talking about the following, I can completely understand. I would use a pair of these in a heartbeat.
KR402 by K Array.
http://www.k-array.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=318&Itemid=1226

KR402_main_1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok Lone,
Indulge me here. I like your review but I am having a bit of trouble with the headcount numbers. I am relating this to what I use or would use for a certain amount as audience. I have never heard the Evox but I have heard the Bose L1s and the Compacts. My Private Karaoke Group uses 2 Bose Compacts in a home for our meetups. I think it is a good choice because you can hear and feel the power without the blaring.
I think in terms of what I use in a small restaurant/bar for Karaoke, the regular Bose 802s + 1 JBL MRX518s or 1or2 JBL 15" Scoops. This covers 70 people at great listening bc olumes without blaring. For over 100 I will use 2 Scoops for 300 plus I will use 4 Scoops.
You are proposing that a pair of these EVOX units will serve 200-250 for DJ and 350 for Karaoke. I am skeptical, very skeptical. You surely must be referring to blaring sound not a natural effortless powerful natural tone. I just can't wrap my head around this. Maybe some peoples idea of coverage is different to mine.
For DJing to 300 people or Karaoke I would not dare use anything less than 4 JBL Scoops or two JBL SRX/STX 728s as subs.
Now if you all were talking about the following, I can completely understand. I would use a pair of these in a heartbeat.
KR402 by K Array.
http://www.k-array.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=318&Itemid=1226

I'll tell you what .. I'll go in with you on a package deal .. find them for less than $5K for a pair and we're golden ... (BTW, the sell for $16,500 a pair).

Looking at the K-Array catalog, it seems they actually have a product in this space as well. The K-Array KB1-W (MAP at $1999). 12" sub and array top. Specs seem to slot in this space ... 30Hz-20KHz (I assume at -10db), 450W to sub, 240w to top. But what intrigues me is it seems to have a Bose T1 type mixer built in .. 4 channels, full DSP, 16 effects, and full wireless control (that's a WiFi unit on the back lower right corner).

Top also comes with foam rubber ends to use laying down horizontally on a stage as a floor monitor.

There's also a version without the mixer for use as a second channel .. it MAPs for $1495, so a system would be $3490 MAP.

Manufacturer's webpage: http://www.k-array.com/portable-systems/kb1.html#features

kakb1w.jpg kakb1w_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have more than enough equipment to do all the work I expect to receive. I do admit the EVOX8 had me looking at many of the small array systems.

I do like the size, potability and ease of set up with the EVOX. I like the K-array's wireless options, and I like the Bose dispersion. I have only listened to the Bose, and the first few times was in the Bose store in the Opry Mills Mall, Nashville TN. I guess having people who can't afford and don't understand what they are selling will never make the product look good, as my trips to the mall were not impressive.

I did get to listen to the Bose system at an outdoor strip mall event with a fake Elvis (who was very good) in Pigeon Forge TN, and the system absolutely blew me away. I could probably use it for half my events, but I do enough school stuff and larger adult parties, I would still have to have a system with some power and thump.

I have more than enough equipment to do all the work I expect to receive. I do admit the EVOX8 had me looking at many of the small array systems.

I do like the size, potability and ease of set up with the EVOX. I like the K-array's wireless options, and I like the Bose dispersion. I have only listened to the Bose, and the first few times was in the Bose store in the Opry Mills Mall, Nashville TN. I guess having people who can't afford and don't understand what they are selling will never make the product look good, as my trips to the mall were not impressive.

I did get to listen to the Bose system at an outdoor strip mall event with a fake Elvis (who was very good) in Pigeon Forge TN, and the system absolutely blew me away. I could probably use it for half my events, but I do enough school stuff and larger adult parties, I would still have to have a system with some power and thump.
I was in that store in April ... :)

My gigs are no longer large .. thus the intent to sell my tri-amped Yorkville setup. Most Karaoke stuff is 50 people or less. Company parties and reunions have hovered around 100 or so and it would seem any of these would do the job. Add a set of kicking subs (like the ETX/PRX/RCF) and I could do anything I would go after.

Ok Lone,
Indulge me here. I like your review but I am having a bit of trouble with the headcount numbers. I am relating this to what I use or would use for a certain amount as audience, as a matter of comparison. I have never heard the Evox but I have heard the Bose L1s and the Compacts. My Private Karaoke Group uses 2 Bose Compacts in a home for our meetups. I think it is a good choice because you can hear and feel the power without the blaring.
I think in terms of what I use in a small restaurant/bar for Karaoke, the regular Bose 802s + 1 JBL MRX518s or 1 or 2 JBL 15" Scoops. This covers 70 people at great listening volumes without blaring. For over 100 I will use 2 Scoops, for 300 + I will use 4 Scoops.
I have seen guys use 2 QSC K 10s with one sub in a Sm/Medium Bar about 150 people and they sounded like shyt, loud, blaring, tinny like wind coming through tin foil. I have no use for 8" or 10" 2 Ways.
KR402 by K Array.

KR402_main_1.jpg

Normally I agree with you Houston, My brother actually got this demo just to prove a point to me on what kind of power can be achieved with such a compact system. For my smallest shows i typically run at the smallest a pair of Tour X Single 18's and Single 15 tops. So trust me I would NEVER before believe a system of this tiny size could provide not only enough sound for 300, but completely clear non strained sound as well. He proved me wrong. This is the reason i say i don't feel they are even in the same conversation as Bose because i've never been nearly that impressed with the output on a Bose System. Of course on my normal systems i have much more headroom. But near Peak volume these RCF's never distort or sound like they are " Screaming ".

Loneavenger, I wonder how the tops would keep up with the addition of an additional powered 18" subwoofer (non-Evox)? Thinking the addition of the sub would add another dimension to the low end. Would the tops (Evox) still carry their own? I have a pair of RCF 200A (12") and pair of RCF Sub ART 800A (15"). Might as well keep it in the family. Maybe add the ART 800A (400 watt) to each side along with the 200 RCF Watt tops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loneavenger
Loneavenger, I wonder how the tops would keep up with the addition of an additional powered 18" subwoofer (non-Evox)? Thinking the addition of the sub would add another dimension to the low end. Would the tops (Evox) still carry their own? I have a pair of RCF 200A (12") and RCF Sub ART 800A (15"). Might as well keep it in the family. Maybe add the ART 800A (400 watt) to each side along with the 200 RCF Watt tops.

hmmmm, good question! I know the top with the 12 inch sub is PERFECTLY matched. I did mention that as incredible as the sub is , I would love a 15 inch sub version, that way it could still stay extremely portable and handle even more events. I would say as long as you don't have the 18 going full blast I see no reason it shouldn't still sound great. And also, not a bad idea at all!

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
hmmmm, good question! I know the top with the 12 inch sub is PERFECTLY matched. I did mention that as incredible as the sub is , I would love a 15 inch sub version, that way it could still stay extremely portable and handle even more events. I would say as long as you don't have the 18 going full blast I see no reason it shouldn't still sound great. And also, not a bad idea at all!

That would be my plan as well .. run a pair like the RCF or K-Array and use a set of powered 15" or 18" subs to augment when needed.

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
I agree and certainly wouldn't run the 18" loud, but would use more "shape" to engulf the room. The addition of the 400 watt 15" sub would give it more punch as well. Will want to talk with you in more detail in the future via PM.

Add on: I mean add a pair of the RCF 15" subs or a single Yorkville 18" LS801P.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahoustondj