Compact Portable PA System

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
The EVOX 12 is substantially heavier .. 80# vs 50#

That's one of my concerns. But then again, an ELX118P is 70 pounds, has no wheels, and it's not unmanageable. An extra 10 pounds in roughly the same size cabinet wouldn't be too difficult to deal with. The 90 degree spread is the same as the tops of the Live-X system, so that's equal.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
The EVOX 12 is substantially heavier .. 80# vs 50#. Max SPL is about the same (2db difference) but the 12 has a 90 deg spread, whereas the 8 has a 120 deg spread. Because of that, the 12 will throw more energy in its coverage area. For me, my events are smaller .. the wider dispersion of the 8 helps (like the Bose). I would certainly like the option of more bass at times .. thus I'm thinking of the larger setup, but the ease of carrying and packing the 8 is perfect for 95% of what I do.
OK... Now I'm back to the 8's. I think I'm developing a whiplash.[emoji2] The weight difference really is substantial, though. Thanks Steve![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK... Now I'm back to the 8's. I think I'm developing a whiplash.[emoji2] The weight difference really is substantial, though. Thanks Steve![emoji4]

It's probably not as great as the 30# difference. Since the EVOX 8 packs all together, it's 50 pounds for the sub+top. The 12 packs separate, but they don't have a weight breakdown .. I would guess 15 or so pounds for the top and 65 for the sub, so you'd be lifting just 15 pounds more in one shot, but need the 2 pieces. The EVOX 12 sub does have a handle and small wheels built-in, so that might help in positioning, but it's probably not much use in transport.

That's one of my concerns. But then again, an ELX118P is 70 pounds, has no wheels, and it's not unmanageable. An extra 10 pounds in roughly the same size cabinet wouldn't be too difficult to deal with. The 90 degree spread is the same as the tops of the Live-X system, so that's equal.
My Yamaha DXS12 subs are close to 75# .. about the limit of what I want since I have to dead lift them into my Pilot. That's the prime reason for looking at either the RCF SUB 705-AS II or the EVOX 12 .. the sub units are very similar on those. The SUB 705 is only 51# with a larger driver than the Yamaha and less than 1" size difference all around.

It's probably not as great as the 30# difference. Since the EVOX 8 packs all together, it's 50 pounds for the sub+top. The 12 packs separate, but they don't have a weight breakdown .. I would guess 15 or so pounds for the top and 65 for the sub, so you'd be lifting just 15 pounds more in one shot, but need the 2 pieces. The EVOX 12 sub does have a handle and small wheels built-in, so that might help in positioning, but it's probably not much use in transport.
What???... Are you just TRYING to make my head spin??? [emoji2] Nope... I'm sticking with the 8's, but if I regret it later, I'm blaming YOU! [emoji2]

I will comment on this and say that since you already have that EV Live X System and you are keeping it , you should get the Evox 8. As Steve mentioned it will be great for any of your smaller / medium events. Than anything over 150 people or where you just want Bass to throw much further than the dance floor you'll have your EV system. If someone is looking for 1 system to cover pretty much all of their events than between the 2 I would recommend the Evox 12 solely for the longer throw of the subwoofer. But also as mentioned with the 12 you lose a lot of the portability and have extra pieces to transport

What???... Are you just TRYING to make my head spin??? [emoji2] Nope... I'm sticking with the 8's, but if I regret it later, I'm blaming YOU! [emoji2]

No worries ... I'm used to taking the blame ..

I'm actually going to DJ an awards banquet for a local Drag car racetrack in a couple hours and i'll be using the Evox 8 system for about 200 people :)
Good luck .. let us know how they work there.

Reactions: Loneavenger
I should also note - the banquet isn't outside at the track , it will be in a banquet hall

Here, it would have had to be .. another 6-8" of snow this morning.

Reactions: Loneavenger
I subscribe to the Evox 8's. I've used them at an event where I needed more "umph" so I added a couple of RCF ART 800A 15" subs and ART 200A 12" tops. It got me through the event, but the room was very large and necessitated a long throw...that I didn't really have. Had the room been smaller, adding only the 15" subs would have sufficed. I will upload a photo of it later; it must still be in my smartphone.

011.jpg 014.jpg

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I will comment on this and say that since you already have that EV Live X System and you are keeping it , you should get the Evox 8. As Steve mentioned it will be great for any of your smaller / medium events. Than anything over 150 people or where you just want Bass to throw much further than the dance floor you'll have your EV system. If someone is looking for 1 system to cover pretty much all of their events than between the 2 I would recommend the Evox 12 solely for the longer throw of the subwoofer. But also as mentioned with the 12 you lose a lot of the portability and have extra pieces to transport

I thought about that, but as I mentioned, I use my Bose system 90% of the time. The Live-X system comes out for the bigger events (school dances and big weddings), and for smaller events (with just one sub, or no subs at all). I could use the Live-X system for all of my events, but I don't love the look of boxy speakers. People really like the "stick" look of the Bose system and I think the EVOX 12 system has pretty good visual appeal, too.

Having only heard the EVOX 12s in a noisy room at the DJ Expo, it's hard to tell how much better it is sonically compared to the EVOX 8. You guys have been helpful.

I thought about that, but as I mentioned, I use my Bose system 90% of the time. The Live-X system comes out for the bigger events (school dances and big weddings), and for smaller events (with just one sub, or no subs at all). I could use the Live-X system for all of my events, but I don't love the look of boxy speakers. People really like the "stick" look of the Bose system and I think the EVOX 12 system has pretty good visual appeal, too.

Having only heard the EVOX 12s in a noisy room at the DJ Expo, it's hard to tell how much better it is sonically compared to the EVOX 8. You guys have been helpful.
I don't think the sound is night/day different. I also heard the 12 at DJExpo, but not at the same time as the 8, so going on memory, I'd say they are voiced similar, but the 12 has better articulation in the lower mids and the 8 in the high mids .. mainly due to the driver differences (4" vs 2") .. bass sounded similar, but I would suspect there's a little more in the 12. Whether you need 120 deg of spread or if 90 will do .. that is a big difference.

When I bought the 8, they didn't have the 12 .. I think I would still opt for the 8 due to size.

... When I bought the 8, they didn't have the 12 .. I think I would still opt for the 8 due to size.
Yeh... I wanted to buy the 8 around the same time you bought yours, and the 12 had not been announced, so it was an easier decision then. If I had not already spent my equipment budget for the year, I would have done it.
Anyone know what price should I expect to pay for the 8 at this point? I know what the list price is, but how much play is there in that price? What is a good price for the 12?

Last edited:
Yeh... I wanted to buy the 8 around the same time you bought yours, and the 12 had not been announced, so it was an easier decision then. If I had not already spent my equipment budget for the year, I would have done it.
Anyone know what price should I expect to pay for the 8 at this point? I know what the list price is, but how much play is there in that price? What is a good price for the 12?

I think it's still hovering around $3K for a system. I paid that about this time last year including cases and a cart.

Any idea if the evox v2 is in production yet?
No mention on their website but they may just quietly change the production without making a news release.

Also Steve, I know you are looking for lighter weight but the new RCF 905AS-II 15" will way the same as your yammy with more punch I'm sure. It was showcased at Musikmeese 2015 but still no word on their site about it.
I'm just saying as you mentioned you have a small reservation about it as to whether or not the 705AS-II will give you the punch you need and be able to support your tops.

I think I might have posted this video before but here it is again.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpaups7knY

Going purely on speculation here as I haven't heard either but I think a pair of those over your JBl's or the new RCF HD-32A tops would be a killer system and still manageable.

Reactions: steve149
Any idea if the evox v2 is in production yet?
No mention on their website but they may just quietly change the production without making a news release.

Also Steve, I know you are looking for lighter weight but the new RCF 905AS-II 15" will way the same as your yammy with more punch I'm sure. It was showcased at Musikmeese 2015 but still no word on their site about it.
I'm just saying as you mentioned you have a small reservation about it as to whether or not the 705AS-II will give you the punch you need and be able to support your tops.

I think I might have posted this video before but here it is again.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpaups7knY

Going purely on speculation here as I haven't heard either but I think a pair of those over your JBl's or the new RCF HD-32A tops would be a killer system and still manageable.
I'm not so much worried about the punch of the 705 (certainly more is better) .. I was worried it may be too light at 50# to hold a 35# top safely on a pole .. could be a tipping hazzard.

BTW, I can't find any mention of the 905 AS II on the RCF website .. I wonder if they put it on hold.

Last edited: