Comparable Subs to KW181

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

TheOlogee

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 4, 2011
Texas
www.idjdfw.com
We start shopping for upgrades and system adds on next month and have I question for the group about sub recommendations. I drank the QSC kool-aid last year and currently have a pair of K10s and KW153s and like them both for the gigs I typically do (weddings). For subs Ive been using 2 PV118s which are ok at best when coupled during events of 100 or less. They are fed by a QSC GX5 and processed via a DBX PA+. I want better subs, preferably active and have been eyeing the KW181 for some time now.

I was going to build a few Fitzmaurice designs but don't really have time for it and it could cause some insurance issues so will stick with a known vendor brand.

Any suggestions on subs that compare? I have asked my local dealer who suggested JBLs PRX618SXLF. They recently sold their floor model and wont have any more for a couple of weeks so I didn't get to hear it. I did hear the KW181 as well as the KSub which are in two different classes. I much prefer the versatility of the KW181 over the KSub as we start doing larger events. The other sub I auditioned there was a Cerwin Vega 18 and a Peavey higher end. Both where nice subs but ugly (per the wife) and heavy so didn't bother with the model numbers.

Oh...and I was also informed to stay away from the Mackie HD series. Supposedly a lot of problems there.

I'm looking at no more than $1200 each.

Last edited:
We start shopping for upgrades and system adds on next month and have I question for the group about sub recommendations. I drank the QSC kool-aid last year and currently have a pair of K10s and KW153s and like them both for the gigs I typically do (weddings). For subs Ive been using 2 PV118s which are ok at best when coupled during events of 100 or less. They are fed by a QSC GX5 and processed via a DBX PA+. I want better subs, preferably active and have been eyeing the KW181 for some time now.

I was going to build a few Fitzmaurice designs but don't really have time for it and it could cause some insurance issues so will stick with a known vendor brand.

Any suggestions on subs that compare? I have asked my local dealer who suggested JBLs PRX618SXLF. They recently sold their floor model and wont have any more for a couple of weeks so I didn't get to hear it. I did hear the KW181 as well as the KSub which are in two different classes. I much prefer the versatility of the KW181 over the KSub as we start doing larger events. The other sub I auditioned there was a Cerwin Vega 18 and a Peavey higher end. Both where nice subs but ugly (per the wife) and heavy so didn't bother with the model numbers.

Oh...and I was also informed to stay away from the Mackie HD series. Supposedly a lot of problems there.

I'm looking at no more than $1200 each.
Since you are using QSC tops I will suggest you go with QSC Subs.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think you'll find anything significantly better than the KW181 without spending much more. I do believe the JBL PRX618-XLF is on par with it, as would be the SRX718 (or STX) or even the JTR Growler when powered properly, if you want to go passive.

I also have sipped the QSC kool-aid. I have a pair of each of the tops in the HPRi series, and a pair of HPR181i subs. Build quality and sound are fantastic. I cannot think that you would be unhappy with the QSC 18 subs you are considering. These and a pair of JBL Eon 315 and a JBL EON 518 sub for small gigs make up my active speaker stock.

Passives are another story, I have a whole lot of different JBL SRX tops, 3 and 4 way SRX and SRX woofers as well. Proper powered touring grade Crowns to power them. I run passive if possible, as I am an old-school guy.

Paul

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks all...going with the KW181s ordered 1 today. Was able to get a new sub and cover a little below my budget.

Since starting back up after 10 years or so I wanted to give actives a try. As with any tool of the trade I realize actives are not a one size fit all solution so will be looking into passives this time next year. I have my eye on the EV Tour X line when the time and money comes.

Good for you! I've heard good things about the EV's. LOL, I'm a JBL fan....been working with their passives for a long time now and brand loyalty dies hard for me....they perform well time after time, and also pass the test of time. I have 2 different pair of SRX 3 ways that are almost 30 years old, and the clients comment on how good we sound all the time! Drawback is weight......I'm getting older, they feel like they are getting heavier however i just don't want to let go of what helped make our reputation when we started out.

Paul

@ TheOlogee, when buying/using actives take into consideration its applications. I personally won't recommend them for outdoor use in the sun. The passives are a better option for that kind of use.

Last edited:
@ TheOlogee, when buying/using passives take into consideration its applications. I personally won't recommend them for outdoor use in the sun. The passives are a better option for that kind of use.

Houston's words are valid. We have run the QSC actives outside in broad daylight without a problem, as well as the JBL actives.

Take into consideration your location. I'm in New England, it gets hot here however it's surely different than an outdoor gig would be in SoCal or Tucson/Phoenix.

Paul

Don't worry .. Mix has assured me you'd only need the tops outdoors and you can hide them under a shade tree with no loss of coverage.

Thanks all...going with the KW181s ordered 1 today. Was able to get a new sub and cover a little below my budget.

May I ask where? I'm looking at this sub as well and less than $1299 a great price for the unit + shipping + cover

@ TheOlogee, when buying/using passives take into consideration its applications. I personally won't recommend them for outdoor use in the sun. The passives are a better option for that kind of use.

Houston...did you mean don't run actives outdoor? I completely get that if thats what you meant. Texas heat is brutal and I wouldn't dare try it unless under some type of cover.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

May I ask where? I'm looking at this sub as well and less than $1299 a great price for the unit + shipping + cover

I bought from a local independent dealer here "Mr. E's". I did have to pay 8.25% sales tax.

We have an EZ-UP shelter. This is a good investment for outdoor gigs, not only will it provide shade and rain protection, ours is large enough where we can put our speakers under it as well. As to not running the QSC's outside, we have played them outside at 90 degrees+ and not had a problem. The newer versions you are buying I believe have fans in the amps as well, our HPRi's are convection cooling only, however the amp design was based on the RMX series amps, which have a proven track record. We've never had a thermal problem even pushing them fairly hard for some time.

Paul

Houston...did you mean don't run actives outdoor? I completely get that if thats what you meant. Texas heat is brutal and I wouldn't dare try it unless under some type of cover.
I don't have actives to run outdoor. My Bose and JBLs are both designed for Stage use inside as well as outside. In a Gig report thread a couple of weeks ago they were in the sun for about seven hours Noon - 7.00pm facing the West Sun which as we all know in Texas gets very hot as the afternoon comes along.
As far as putting speakers under a tent, that is not enough spread for me because one has no excuse for space when outdoors. Those speakers were 100 feet apart and running in Stereo. ;) Here is the thread with pics. http://ourdjtalk.com/threads/39638-Golf-Club-Gig-Sept-22nd-2012

Most actives are designed for stage use inside and outside as well. The QSC are actively cooled (by fan) and are rated to spec at up to 122 degrees ambient. They prefer to have the amp side in the shade or shaded by a covering if in direct sun (and Canute, you can always use 2 tents to spread them).

Most actives are designed for stage use inside and outside as well. The QSC are actively cooled (by fan) and are rated to spec at up to 122 degrees ambient. They prefer to have the amp side in the shade or shaded by a covering if in direct sun (and Canute, you can always use 2 tents to spread them).
For me there is no need.

Still need to protect the amps .. not all outside events are next to a building, so for many situations, the issues are similar whether it's an active speaker or a passive one and an amp.

Still need to protect the amps .. not all outside events are next to a building, so for many situations, the issues are similar whether it's an active speaker or a passive one and an amp.
Well my dear friend we were talking about Speakers, I won't put the gear out in the open sun. Sure I will use cover or a tent for that part! Even though my last outdoor Gig a few weeks ago I was terrorized by sun coming in where I was. I always carry at least my Electronic oscillating fan which keep my area cool. You can see it in one of the pics.

We are talking speakers, but they also need them darn electronics as well at some point. The reality is I've run passive speakers with amps and powered speakers in 90+ degree weather with no issues. As long as you take the necessary precautions, neither is considered the best or the worst for outdoor duty.