Weddings Cool bands, but for weddings?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Wes

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 23, 2008
Memphis / Mid-South Area
www.mobiledjwes.com
Here's my bride's favorite bands list. I'm supposed to try to work as many of these in as I can.

So, your challenge here today is to come up with a setlist of songs you would play and when you would play them (during cocktails, dinner, early dancing, later dancing, cake cutting, etc.).

If you feel like adding your own 'transitional' songs that would help with the flow, I'm open to any and all ideas.

Again, this is a wedding.

Here's the list.
The Devil Makes Three
Grand Funk Railroad
The Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Mumford and Sons
The Strokes
Phoenix
Lucero (they’re a little slower but are one of my favorites)
The Killers
The Black Keys
Kings of Leon
The Beatles
Bill Withers (and any to that affect)
Asteroids Galaxy Tour (Golden Age, Bad Fever, or Lady Jesus)
The Black Keys
CCR
Frank Sinatra
Grateful Dead
James Brown
Jim Croce/ John Prine (for slow songs)
Prince
Regina Spektor
St. Vincent
The Temptations
Amy Winehouse (not the rehab song)
Otis Redding
Chuck Berry
Florence and the Machine (really like “the dog days are over”)
Norah Jones
Queen
Mamas and the Papas

@ Wes, what is wrong with those Bands and that Music for Weddings? Is this supposed to be about the DJ or what the Client wants?

Reactions: 1 person
No Pink Floyd? I'd punt.

Reactions: 2 people
Nothing wrong with those bands. I'm thinking about the guests. Most of those bands are just not mainstream enough to please the masses. What's your favorite (danceable) St. Vincent song? People don't normally like to dance to a song they've never heard before. That's all I'm saying. I project a slow dance floor overall.

She also said this:"No Aerosmith, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Britney Spears[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] etc.[/FONT]
We like bluesy, but not country and would prefer no rap or heavy metal.
Not huge on 80’s music"

So, your challenge here today is to come up with a setlist of songs you would play and when you would play them (during cocktails, dinner, early dancing, later dancing, cake cutting, etc.).

Is this supposed to be about the DJ or what the Client wants?

I think hes asking for what songs would go good with different events during the day, i didn't see anything saying about what the DJ wants

Is this supposed to be about the DJ or what the Client wants?

I think hes asking for what songs would go good with different events during the day, i didn't see anything saying about what the DJ wants
That was not my question so lets not derail this thread. Sorry Wes.

If you do a phone consult the week of I'd talk to her about getting her favorite songs during dinner, id also talk about what makes for a great reception and then be honest about your concerns that a lot of these wont work for dancing. Follow it up with "if its what you want I'll do it (empower her) but I really want you and your guests to have a good time. If she's adamant ask her if people aren't dancing if its ok to deviate from the list. If the answer is still no I would make an announcement before dancing that the music was picked by the b&g. I'd say it with a smile but would not let anyone there think I had anything to do with it lol...Most folks can be guided and persuaded if you just give then a little nudge

Reactions: Ausumm and DJ Wes
Here's my bride's favorite bands list. I'm supposed to try to work as many of these in as I can.

If you feel like adding your own 'transitional' songs that would help with the flow, I'm open to any and all ideas.

Again, this is a wedding.

Here's the list.
The Devil Makes Three
Grand Funk Railroad: Some Kind of Wonderful, The Loco-Motion, My Girl
The Rolling Stones: Wild Horses
Jimi Hendrix: Foxey Lady
Mumford and Sons
The Strokes
Phoenix
The Killers
The Black Keys
Kings of Leon
The Beatles
Bill Withers (and any to that affect)
The Black Keys
CCR: Down On The Corner; Lookin' Out My Back Door
Frank Sinatra
Grateful Dead
James Brown: Papa's Got A Brand New Bag, I Got You
Jim Croce/ John Prine (for slow songs)
Prince: Kiss, 1999, Purple Rain
Regina Spektor
St. Vincent
The Temptations: My Girl, Get Ready
Amy Winehouse (not the rehab song)
Otis Redding
Chuck Berry: Johnny B. Goode, Roll Over Bethoven
Florence and the Machine (really like “the dog days are over”)
Norah Jones
Queen: a ton of different songs
Mamas and the Papas

There are some thoughts.

How much you wanna bet she knows her family and friends taste in music better than you.... I had a wedding where mostly 90s alt rock was requested and while not my taste nor did I think it'd go over well.. To my surprise it did! The bride was ecstatic

btw Jon pointed out a few and when I have time I'll point out a few he missed.

- - - Updated - - -

Really Jon for Prince 1999, Kiss and purple rain is the best you got? What about Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret, Let's go Crazy or even Diamonds and Perals, or 7

;)

Reactions: 3 people
For:
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Otis Redding - These Arms Of Mine
Frank Sinatra - The Way You Look Tonight, My Way,
Beatles - And I Love Her, Something, Here There And Everywhere

Last edited:
Really Jon for Prince 1999, Kiss and purple rain is the best you got? What about Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret, Let's go Crazy or even Diamonds and Perals, or 7

;)

Hey, it'd been a long day. Besides I had to leave some for the rest of you. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Adding on to The Beatles, "Twist and Shout"

Thanks guys, but I've got the Beatles and Frank under control. I'm more worried about bands like St. Vincent, The Killers, The Strokes, Phoenix etc. You know, bands few could name a single song from.

Thanks guys, but I've got the Beatles and Frank under control. I'm more worried about bands like St. Vincent, The Killers, The Strokes, Phoenix etc. You know, bands few could name a single song from.
I was happy to contribute because you asked. If you knew you already have some of the artists covered, why put them on the list? We are not mind readers. Just saying! May I suggest that next time you only put what you are seeking on the list?

Last edited:
Try "The Killers- Human"

the other bands I have no idea. Time for a YouTube session.

She also said this:"No Aerosmith, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Britney Spears etc.
We like bluesy, but not country and would prefer no rap or heavy metal.
Not huge on 80’s music"

It's gonna be hard to come up with Blues songs that don't have an element of Country! doh! This bride is way too picky and isn't aware that her guests are important. But honestly, I haven't played any Britney or Madonna at all this year. Bon Jovi and Aerosmith are more likely to be requested by guests.

Brian Redd recently brought up that a DNP list was mostly meant for songs that will bring up bad memories of earlier relationships. But some clients go overboard on it.

She needs to clarify here idea of Rap, since many contemporary hits have Rap elements. I would guess she means no hard core ghetto stuff, but I would discuss it with her.

Here's the list:
The Devil Makes Three
Grand Funk Railroad
The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze, Foxey Lady
Mumford and Sons - I Will Wait, Little Lion Man, The Cave
The Strokes
Phoenix - Liztomania
The Killers - Bright Side
The Black Keys - I'll Be Your Man, Howlin' for You, Gold on the Ceiling
Kings of Leon - Use Somebody, Sex on Fire
The Beatles
Bill Withers (and any to that affect) - Lean on Me
The Black Keys
CCR - Suzie Q
Frank Sinatra
Grateful Dead - Truckin'
James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good), Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, Night Train
Jim Croce/ John Prine (for slow songs) - Time in a Bottle
Prince
Regina Spektor
St. Vincent
The Temptations - Baby I Need Your Lovin'
Amy Winehouse (not the rehab song) - (There is) No Greater Love, Me & Mr. Jones
Otis Redding - Try a Little Tenderness
Chuck Berry
Florence and the Machine (really like “the dog days are over”) - Dog Days are Over, Cosmic Love, You've Got the Love
Norah Jones - Be My Somebody
Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love, You're My Best Friend, Somebody to Love
Mamas and the Papas - Dedicated to the One I Love, California Dreamin'

I would also include:
  • LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends"
  • anything by M83, particularly "Midnight City"
  • Passion Pit - "Take a Walk
  • Dan Auerbach (lead singer of Black Keys) - "Goin' Home"
  • The Association - "Cherish" and "Never My Love"

Hope this helps!

~DJ Ducky

- - - Updated - - -

I would also make sure to have "Ho Hey" - Lumineers on hand!

What I think is your thinking is there isn't a lot if any main stream artist of today on this list and people won't dance to the artist on the list. They will if you pick the right songs and know when to play them. Prince and James Brown have a ton of songs you can play that people will dance to. When is this wedding? Just do your homework and don't be afraid. Obviously certain songs would be great for the cocktail and dinner hour. Other stuff can be for them to boogie down to when the time is right.

Thanks again everyone. Event went well, considering it was outdoors and it was 80+ degrees all night. Here's the pics. http://www.mobiledjwes.com/Pic-395.htm
Looks good Wes. Hey, any event with a Redhead in attendance has to be a good one! LOL Did you have any issues with the Glass Panes on the opposite sides?