Credit card payment issue

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

tunes4046

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Fennimore Wi
I have corporate client who I have performed for for several years last year we had a payment issue with a corporate credit card, first time they used a credit card for payment, they ended up putting on it on someones personal card a getting reimburse, by corporate, this is the response I received this year when booking

There should be no problem running the card no matter what type of machine they use. The problem may have been with the merchant category code not being a part of the PCard program. I do not know if it will be declined until they actually try to run the payment. Please let me know if you have further questions.

We can see if we can get approval to add the MCC code, but there is no guarantee that it will be approved. If you can contact the vendor and ask them if they know what their MCC code is, I check to see if it is currently a part of the program. Most merchants do not know what it is though. Let me know if you have further questions.

I use a square card reader, can anyone be of help

I have corporate client who I have performed for for several years last year we had a payment issue with a corporate credit card, first time they used a credit card for payment, they ended up putting on it on someones personal card a getting reimburse, by corporate, this is the response I received this year when booking

There should be no problem running the card no matter what type of machine they use. The problem may have been with the merchant category code not being a part of the PCard program. I do not know if it will be declined until they actually try to run the payment. Please let me know if you have further questions.

We can see if we can get approval to add the MCC code, but there is no guarantee that it will be approved. If you can contact the vendor and ask them if they know what their MCC code is, I check to see if it is currently a part of the program. Most merchants do not know what it is though. Let me know if you have further questions.

I use a square card reader, can anyone be of help

I've had card issues with paypal (bank debit cards) but never had square kick one back. Weird.

I've seen issues with Paypal. But, I'm wondering if it's because it would be very easy to set up a Square account (or Paypal for that matter), and funnel payments through an individual.

It would be pretty simple to get your own square, run a card for $1,200 to your own bank, and then pay a vendor $1000 personally and skim quite a bit of money off a company card. Most companies still want receipts or invoices, but it depends on how much slack they want in their system.

It's not so much the card as it is the PCard and what it's authorized to pay for. The Gov't has this issue often.

A true merchant account may not do it. Sometimes it depends on what the card user is authorized to purchase / pay for. I would get back in touch with the card holder and ensure that they can pay for it.

Ye

Yep sent a paypal invoice
Case closed and end of story. Glad things worked out and normally such clients are the ones that will get things resolved in the end. Especially them being a repeat client. Obviously they like your work and want to make you happy.

MCC: Merchant Category Code is a number assigned to a merchant account that identifies the category of product/service sold by that merchant.

It is used by corporate card managers to track credit card purchases and prevent internal fraud. Charges might be set to automatically decline if the MCC is missing, does not conform to company purchase policy, or does not match a pre-approved order.

For example, you could restrict a card only to the purchase of office supplies, and set a maximum individual purchase level. An office manager who is approved to buy up to $600 of office supplies at a time might get declined when trying to pay only $300 for a DJ because the MCC is not an approved match.

Corporate card statements also group charges by category to make expense tracking easier. The MCC is how that sorting is accomplished.

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
MCC: Merchant Category Code is a number assigned to a merchant account that identifies the category of product/service sold by that merchant.

It is used by corporate card managers to track credit card purchases and prevent internal fraud. Charges might be set to automatically decline if the MCC is missing, does not conform to company purchase policy, or does not match a pre-approved order.

For example, you could restrict a card only to the purchase of office supplies, and set a maximum individual purchase level. An office manager who is approved to buy up to $600 of office supplies at a time might get declined when trying to pay only $300 for a DJ because the MCC is not an approved match.

Corporate card statements also group charges by category to make expense tracking easier. The MCC is how that sorting is accomplished.
That was the issue, my square account was not set up properly, I don't use it often so I really never paid attention, It was too much of a hassle to change it quickly, Paypal worked perfectly fine