Customer service from Latshaw

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Scott Hanna

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 25, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.djincleveland.com
Had an issue with my license from Latshas Karaosoft/Karma. Their help is now done through facebook.

So I messaged them through facebook and this is the thread. I don't believe they were trying to be rude, but I believe they don't understand how a message can come across

Scott: Hello, I went to use the software on my computer and the license on it says it's in trial mode. I'm not sure what happened. It should have it's own license. I tried adding license, I tried resetting it on website, but still says activation failed with no reason given. name is Scott Hanna and lic# is xxxxx

Got this reply:

It always gives a reason. Pay attention. If you click ok after an error, if will give you a very specific reason.

Scott: this is the response i get: Testing Connection to web service... The request failed with an empty response.

That just means you have an older Latshaw version. You need to install the latest version and activate it with your license key.

Scott: thanks. Thanks, that worked. Love the product. Would recommend not telling people to pay attention because it obviously does not always give a specific reason. Some people may find that rude

I should note that the last response came very quickly...and it did work. Had they simply left the words "pay attention" out of this, and maybe said, "It should give you a specific reason", it would have been great customer service.
Amazing how a few words can change the tone of a message.

I

Indian English may not translate as well.

Sadly, good customer service has been on its way out the window for a long time .. although you can see the ones the perform it well, most have dedicated customers.
It's funny how good customer service has become something that really sticks out to us. It used to be standard ops.

Last edited:
I totally agree Danno. That's why I say it's easy to see where the customer service is - because their customers are dedicated.

Reactions: Dan The Man
Scott - I understand what you are saying. I'm referring to customer service in general. Sadly, customer service doesn't seem to matter to most companies anymore - except during sales - and even then, some places suck at that too.

Reactions: Scott Hanna

It always gives a reason. Pay attention. If you click ok after an error, if will give you a very specific reason.

Scott I admire your patience they would have remembered my name if they sent me that email

Got a reply from my last note:
It does always give a reason. Prove me wrong and send me a screen shot of it NOT giving you a reason and I'll give you a full apology. Deal?

I replied:
I did copy and paste what it said. It did say exactly: request failed with an empty response ... Those were the exact words. I don't need an apology. Trying to help.

Got a reply from my last note:
It does always give a reason. Prove me wrong and send me a screen shot of it NOT giving you a reason and I'll give you a full apology. Deal?

I replied:
I did copy and paste what it said. It did say exactly: request failed with an empty response ... Those were the exact words. I don't need an apology. Trying to help.

You are a better man than I. That guy is a total douche. His software is shit.

He keeps going:
That error just means you don't have the latest version installed.

Me:
I do understand that. What I don't understand is how you believe that that response can be considered as " it always give you a reason". According to my definitions, "empty response"cannot be considered as giving a reason. If it always give a reason, it would say "you need to update your software" or something to that effect.

That error is telling you that the server is giving you an empty response because it's attempting to contact the old LatshawSystems.com server. Now do you want to explain to me how an older piece of software could possibly know where a new server is and predict that we'd change the company name one day? Figure that one out and I'll nominate you for the Nobel prize. ...AND hire you!

Me:
No, but I don't mind telling you that you've just listed an instance when it won't give you a reason, which proves my point.

Remember, this all started with you telling me to pay attention. What exactly wasn't I paying attention to?

He keeps going:
That error just means you don't have the latest version installed.

Me:
I do understand that. What I don't understand is how you believe that that response can be considered as " it always give you a reason". According to my definitions, "empty response"cannot be considered as giving a reason. If it always give a reason, it would say "you need to update your software" or something to that effect.

That error is telling you that the server is giving you an empty response because it's attempting to contact the old LatshawSystems.com server. Now do you want to explain to me how an older piece of software could possibly know where a new server is and predict that we'd change the company name one day? Figure that one out and I'll nominate you for the Nobel prize. ...AND hire you!

Me:
No, but I don't mind telling you that you've just listed an instance when it won't give you a reason, which proves my point.

Remember, this all started with you telling me to pay attention. What exactly wasn't I paying attention to?

Scott, if I may please offer your next response:

"We all voted. You're an ass."

Maybe you should invite him to the thread Scott we could have some entertainment ;)

Jeff

Would have a field day with him :D :D :D

I wish I had read this old thread before attempting to contact Karaosoft this morning. Friends, if you value your money and have even an ounce of integrity, do not do business with Bob Latshaw or Karaosoft. I could have saved an hour and just punched a wall without dealing with this BS.

Via Facebook:
  • Brendan Lafferty
    Hi... I purchased a license for Song List Generator some time ago and haven't used the program in a couple of years. I launched the program and a pop-up mentioned that an update was available, so I downloaded and installed the update. Now the program is back in Trial Mode, my activation failed and the original customer number that I was given doesn't work to log me in to your website. Can you help?

Product: Song List Generator 4.x Name: Brendan Lafferty Key: 15XXXXXX

Thanks! -Brendan

• 11:48am

Karaosoft
    Go to the login page of the customer menu on our web site and there's a link for people who forgot their login password.

• Brendan Lafferty

I tried that... and got "Email Address not in our database Try Again".

My email address that should be on file is (deleted)@southcoastdj.com

• 11:55am

Karaosoft
    It's correct. Your email address is not in the database. Neither is your name.

• Brendan Lafferty

Okay... how do we remedy this? I purchased the program on 4/26/13 and have the email that was sent to me with the license key.

Sorry... 4/25/13

• 11:58am

Karaosoft
    It's possible your account was hijacked, but it's also possible your license was revoked. Can you think of anything that may have caused either of these scenarios?

• Brendan Lafferty

No. I bought the program and uploaded to Songbooks Live (which we used that same year for two events), but never even printed a book with it. I'm a one-man DJ company; I'm not sure why the license would have been revoked and as far as I know, it wouldn't have been hijacked.

• 12:26pm

Karaosoft
    Well the customer record isn't there and I can't just create one.

• Brendan Lafferty

Well then we need another option that doesn't involve me paying for the program again. I have a record of my purchase, but you don't.

I was going to re-sign on with Songbooks Live and finally print some new books, as we've seen some renewed interest in karaoke here.

• 12:29pm

Karaosoft
    Let's cut to the chase. I'm not giving you a free license. If you want a license, you'll need to purchase one. Period.

• Brendan Lafferty

I have purchased one. I can forward you the email confirmation from your company, if you'd like.

Karaosoft
    The emails are text and could be copied and edited. That doesn't mean squat.

• Brendan Lafferty

I'll contact my credit card company. Surely they have proof that I paid your company $69 for the license.

• 12:32pm

Karaosoft
    That too doesn't mean anything. Again, your license could have been revoked. AGAIN, you're not getting a free license.

• Brendan Lafferty

I never asked for a free license. Just some customer support.

• 12:33pm

Karaosoft
    You got customer support. Everything I'm telling you is the truth.

Do you think I'm withholding anything?

• Brendan Lafferty

No, and neither am I. But it's weird that your company would not have a record of my purchase.

• 12:35pm

Karaosoft
    I agree. It's weird. Still doesn't change anything.

• Brendan Lafferty

This is disappointing... the program was really useful and at $69 is a relative bargain, but this experience has been pretty terrible. I realize that you probably get plenty of people looking to get something for nothing. I'm not that guy. Thanks for your time.

I wish I had read this old thread before attempting to contact Karaosoft this morning. Friends, if you value your money and have even an ounce of integrity, do not do business with Bob Latshaw or Karaosoft. I could have saved an hour and just punched a wall without dealing with this BS.

Via Facebook:
  • Brendan Lafferty
    Hi... I purchased a license for Song List Generator some time ago and haven't used the program in a couple of years. I launched the program and a pop-up mentioned that an update was available, so I downloaded and installed the update. Now the program is back in Trial Mode, my activation failed and the original customer number that I was given doesn't work to log me in to your website. Can you help?

Product: Song List Generator 4.x Name: Brendan Lafferty Key: 15XXXXXX

Thanks! -Brendan

• 11:48am

Karaosoft
    Go to the login page of the customer menu on our web site and there's a link for people who forgot their login password.

• Brendan Lafferty

I tried that... and got "Email Address not in our database Try Again".

My email address that should be on file is (deleted)@southcoastdj.com

• 11:55am

Karaosoft
    It's correct. Your email address is not in the database. Neither is your name.

• Brendan Lafferty

Okay... how do we remedy this? I purchased the program on 4/26/13 and have the email that was sent to me with the license key.

Sorry... 4/25/13

• 11:58am

Karaosoft
    It's possible your account was hijacked, but it's also possible your license was revoked. Can you think of anything that may have caused either of these scenarios?

• Brendan Lafferty

No. I bought the program and uploaded to Songbooks Live (which we used that same year for two events), but never even printed a book with it. I'm a one-man DJ company; I'm not sure why the license would have been revoked and as far as I know, it wouldn't have been hijacked.

• 12:26pm

Karaosoft
    Well the customer record isn't there and I can't just create one.

• Brendan Lafferty

Well then we need another option that doesn't involve me paying for the program again. I have a record of my purchase, but you don't.

I was going to re-sign on with Songbooks Live and finally print some new books, as we've seen some renewed interest in karaoke here.

Karaosoft
    Let's cut to the chase. I'm not giving you a free license. If you want a license, you'll need to purchase one. Period.

• Brendan Lafferty

I have purchased one. I can forward you the email confirmation from your company, if you'd like.

Karaosoft
    The emails are text and could be copied and edited. That doesn't mean squat.

• Brendan Lafferty

I'll contact my credit card company. Surely they have proof that I paid your company $69 for the license.

• 12:32pm

Karaosoft
    That too doesn't mean anything. Again, your license could have been revoked. AGAIN, you're not getting a free license.

• Brendan Lafferty

I never asked for a free license. Just some customer support.

• 12:33pm

Karaosoft
    You got customer support. Everything I'm telling you is the truth.

Do you think I'm withholding anything?

• Brendan Lafferty

No, and neither am I. But it's weird that your company would not have a record of my purchase.

• 12:35pm

Karaosoft
    I agree. It's weird. Still doesn't change anything.

• Brendan Lafferty

This is disappointing... the program was really useful and at $69 is a relative bargain, but this experience has been pretty terrible. I realize that you probably get plenty of people looking to get something for nothing. I'm not that guy. Thanks for your time.
Yikes ... Can we vote again for the Internet A$$wipe Award?

BTW, Did you inform them that you planned on posting this example of "fine customer service" on all the DJ/KJ boards you could so everyone else will know what kind of stellar service to expect from Karosoft? :)

BTW, Did you inform them that you planned on posting this example of "fine customer service" on all the DJ/KJ boards you could so everyone else will know what kind of stellar service to expect from Karosoft?

Nah, that's not my style. I worked in customer service for close to ten years and threats like that are meaningless. I just can't believe that they'd be that inconsiderate - if their recordkeeping sucks, just be honest about it and offer a discounted re-purchase rate or something. I didn't cause the problem, I barely used the program, and if the license was revoked or "hijacked" (?), they're the only ones who would know.

I can find an alternative to using their software program. It's unfortunate that this is the reason why I will.