DJ agrees to do a 4th of July event but doesn't have equipment.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
How does that work? I asked my friend that DJs with me was he doing the 4th of July event where he lives at. He tells me no. I think someone did mention his name. He just finish telling me they got some young guy to do it. This guy goes to my friend to ask can he borrow a speaker. My friend told him a lie saying he wasn't going to be there that day. He says the guy is ass. He says all the guy has is a laptop.

How do you agree to do an event as a DJ yet you don't have any equipment to get the job done? So this so called DJ has to scrounge around to see if he can borrow equipment to get the job done. My friend tells me they know this guy. Well if they know the guy because he lives there, then why don't they know this guy has no equipment? How do you call yourself a DJ and don't have any equipment to work with? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I told my friend why they picked this guy. He's cheap labor. They know either he will do it for a ridiculously low price or for free.

Some people also DJ without proper liability insurance or properly acquired music libraries too. Can't win them all.

How do you agree to do an event as a DJ yet you don't have any equipment to get the job done? So this so called DJ has to scrounge around to see if he can borrow equipment to get the job done. My friend tells me they know this guy. Well if they know the guy because he lives there, then why don't they know this guy has no equipment? How do you call yourself a DJ and don't have any equipment to work with? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you need to have equipment? click the link below there are many places to rent

Google

He could drive to Guitar Center TODAY and purchase a Harbinger VARI 12 inch powered speaker that has RCA inputs in the back of it for only $129 on July 4th sale. Run a RCA into 3.5MM audio headphone cord into his laptop.

Harbinger Vari V2112 600 W 12" Two-Way Powered Loudspeaker

600 watts, 1 speaker set on top of the table with his laptop and he has music for the event. ...It won't look great, but it will work.

Reactions: sonic-vision
You're missing it. To agree to do an event as a DJ you should have the equipment side covered once you agree to do the event. Renting equipment is out of the question with this event. You'll lose money if you rent any gear. I can tell you those people aren't looking to spend much. $200 for the whole day is probably a big stretch.

Mix, I think you have very little room to call someone out considering you don't pay taxes, you collect disability and you do not have a legitimate music library .. among other things.
Isn't one of the basic things you figured out a long time ago that you need some type of equipment to call yourself a DJ? Don't you need equipment to do the job? Weather it's good or bad equipment you still need the equipment or how can you do the job?

Yes. He needs equipment. It is cheaper than ever to get into the business on low end entry level stuff.

This weekend he could go to Guitar Center and purchase 2 Harbinger Vari 12" 600 watt speakers for $129 each. He could purchase a Cheap, small mixer for as low as $44.99. Harbinger makes one. He could then get a cheap wired microphone for like $29. Buy a 20 foot XLR Cable for the mic, and a couple more XLR Cables for the speakers. He could purchase a set of cheap speaker stands, and that is his system. Total cost of around $460 total. He has it paid off with 3-4 cheap paying gigs. Then he keeps using that system for the next 12 to 18 months to do the cheap, low end gigs with while saving up for a better quality sound system. Once he buys the better quality system, then his older system can be a secondary system. Then he can start to get into bigger events and weddings etc.

If he can consistently get gigs, he can grow. All it takes is a laptop with DJ program, and lots of music on it, and about $500 for the sound system these days.

Harbinger Vari speakers don't sound great, but they sound better than the entry level stuff DJs had to work with 10, 15, 20 years ago etc. And for $129 per speaker and powered. It's cheaper than ever. I would think many newbies are buying those speakers this weekend. Hell, I may buy one tomorrow just as another speaker to play music in the yard with.

He could always borrow gear from another DJ. Sometimes getting the gig is the first and most important step. But it is funny when a prospect asks me if I have equipment. Got my first PA system in 1970, so I think so!

Paris Hilton has made 100s of Thousands off DJing .. I bet she doesn't own a single piece of gear. Probably doesn't even know how to spell gear.

How do you agree to do an event as a DJ yet you don't have any equipment to get the job done?

The REALLY good ones just fax over their equipment rider, then show up with their flash drive.

So a guy with no equipment gets a job over you. I thought you had mad skills?
I never said anything about them asking me to do the job. The word was about my friend possibly doing it. I wasn't in the running and didn't want to be.

He could always borrow gear from another DJ. Sometimes getting the gig is the first and most important step. But it is funny when a prospect asks me if I have equipment. Got my first PA system in 1970, so I think so!
The only way I loan out gear to another DJ is I personally must know the DJ and that means they know their stuff! The ones I know that know their stuff don't need to borrow gear from me because they got their shit together. They have what they need to do the job.

So when you loan out your gear, aka library, do you hand them a computer with a desktop shortcut to youtube?
Where did I say I loan out my HD? I never have. That sticks with me. Both of them. I never said I loan out my gear. I said my friend's have their act together.

Once I made the mistake of trying to help a new DJ just starting out with a block party. I was trying to help someone new. I came back after having to go somewhere else to do something and one of my subs was busted. I learned my lesson. Stop trying to help some people. I should have quit when he wouldn't listen to me in the basement. He was stuck on how he wanted to do things and didn't have an idea what to do.

Isn't one of the basic things you figured out a long time ago that you need some type of equipment to call yourself a DJ? Don't you need equipment to do the job? Weather it's good or bad equipment you still need the equipment or how can you do the job?

If you don't charge enough to be able to rent gear you can't afford to do the event

He could then get a cheap wired microphone for like $29. Buy a 20 foot XLR Cable for the mic,

You could buy one of these for about $28 and it comes with a 20 footer. They don't sound all that bad either I picked up a couple for backups last week

I'm still stuck on "...$200 is a stretch for an all day event."

I have the gear, but would pass on the gig to some pimple faced kid with daddy's credit card in a hot second...

If you ever wonder why you're always getting asked to do cheap paying gigs... Well cheap begets cheap...

And if you're mourning not getting this gig you're stupider than I ever thought!