Does it EVER stop and do you feel guilty???? (

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Djderik

DJ Extraordinaire
So I have been struggling with a client for the past month....well my wife actually as she handles a lot of the client emails. We try and do a lot of "Good Karma" aka Give Back type low priced (or free if possible) gigs for good causes like American Heart Association, Homeless , etc etc. I think you get my drift!? So I have an up coming fund raiser event that is completely sold out for the client. We are basically doing the event for next to nothing, but the coordinator keeps on asking to add on item after item....."Oh you can stay and hour or 2 extra right?", lighting.....projector.......etc... Expecting it for FREE of course! The businessman in me says update the quote and advise them with a discounted cost and write off the rest, but the other part of me says LET IT GO! You guys have the same inner struggles too?

Ahhhhhh vent purged :) All better. :cheers:

Having your terms outlined in your agreement will clear this up for you. If it's a freebie, indicate the start and end hours. After that, it becomes a paid event.

I am all for donating services for a good cause but remember, that does not pay your business expenses, your mortgage or your kids college tuition. I am not in business to lose money.

Whenever I did a fund raiser freebie, would have an agreement that I would make a donation of $XXX and they would write me a check for the same amount.

We'd exchange checks the day of the event. This way, at least I could write off MY check as a charitable donation.

LOL I'll donate ONE MILLLLLLLLION DOLLARS!
If that's what a similar non-freebie gig would pay you, then yes ...

There needs to be a stated value (supportable of course) to have a tax derived benefit.

I have done the swap checks before I won't ever again, I had one returned NSF, of course the one I wrote cleared before I found out

Reactions: steve149
Agree with Steve. Just because it's a freebie doesn't ever mean there is not an agreement made and signed.

I would have have a rather frank discussion on how I ma glad to support your charity but do you realize that normally these services are how I make my living, and I feel like you are taking advantage of my good nature

Reactions: djmagicmoments
When I'm approached to donate my services I've come to ask a few questions..."is the caterer donating? Signs? Ticket people? tent people?" if not then why should I be the only one to work for free?

Many of the sports leagues I photograph want something - sponsor a team, a banner, an ad in their program, thank you plaques for the sponsors, etc. So I have to write them a check - it's advertising. No acc't or the IRS is gonna have a problem with that - my name is on the uniform, banner, etc.

What you are experiencing is quite common amongst charity event organizers.
They figure that if you are willing to donate services to begin with, that it gives them free reign to milk what they can out of you.
Many of them even try to con you with the promise of future paid gigs if you help them out this time. :rolleyes:
Many DJ's get sucked in because they believe it will give them exposure that will lead to future paid gigs.
Usually all it leads to is more people asking you to do more gigs for free or super cheap.

I'm not saying to be an uncaring ogre, and just about all of us have done some sort of pro bono work at one time or another either for causes we truly believe in or for the hope of generating exposure and leads, but I think you could end your inner struggle quite easily as DJmagic said by spelling out in a contract what is to be provided for free (basic service only) so when they ask for more you can have your hand out just like they have theirs.

If I do any freebies it's usually for smaller grass roots type organizations as they generally really do have limited capital
to work with but if they are charity or even a non-profit that already receives funding, I may give a discount but not for free.
If you look at the management expense ratio of any of the larger already established charities, it's plain to see that in many cases some people are already getting their pockets lined and imo are not deserving of any freebies.

What Percentage of Donations Go to Charity

Charity begins at home!

Expecting it for FREE of course! The businessman in me says update the quote and advise them with a discounted cost and write off the rest, but the other part of me says LET IT GO! You guys have the same inner struggles too?

No, I never have these issues to deal with. I'm a heartless prick who only cares about the money so I don't do freebies. ;)

Seriously though, I think this perfectly illustrates the theory that, if they don't have any skin in the game, they will never value what you're providing to them. They view you as a sucker, a freebie, just another volunteer. Consequently, they have no qualms about asking you to stay longer, provide more, park their cars, go to their homes and mow the lawn, etc. etc. The simple fact is that, once I raised my rates, I found my clients valued what I provided much, much more. In all serious-ness, I do believe I'm as generous as anyone around but I've learned that these situations never work well on my end. It always ends up in abuse and once I walk away they just find another sucker.

Good luck with yours.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
I've always just donated my time or charged a nominal fee but I was talking to a friend the other day that runs an event management company here in town what he does is he charges full rate, accepts the cheque the night of, and then donates 2/3 back after the cheque clears. This covers his expenses and he gets a write off at the same time

Whenever I did a fund raiser freebie, would have an agreement that I would make a donation of $XXX and they would write me a check for the same amount.

We'd exchange checks the day of the event. This way, at least I could write off MY check as a charitable donation.

You'd also have to report the income from THEIR check; in theory, you're losing money. It doesn't work to your advantage.

I do a lot of these types of events and here's the thing...

There are usually a lot of organizers, volunteers, vendors, city officials, local politicians, etc. involved donating their time and services. These people almost always get verbally acknowledged at some point during the event, including the DJ. The guilt is usually going to come from being the only person collecting a check among those honorable mentions. If you're not in it for the same reasons as everyone else, that's fine. Make that clear up front and get paid. However, your buck might be stopping right there, because people do talk.

The residual reward of exposure and recognition in front of some of the community's more affluent and networked people is nothing to sneeze at. Take advantage of it. Get out from behind the rig, smile, shake some hands, meet some people and make yourself known. Play it right and these freebies will pay off later on.

I do a lot of these types of events and here's the thing...

There are usually a lot of organizers, volunteers, vendors, city officials, local politicians, etc. involved donating their time and services. These people almost always get verbally acknowledged at some point during the event, including the DJ. The guilt is usually going to come from being the only person collecting a check among those honorable mentions. If you're not in it for the same reasons as everyone else, that's fine. Make that clear up front and get paid. However, your buck might be stopping right there, because people do talk.

The residual reward of exposure and recognition in front of some of the community's more affluent and networked people is nothing to sneeze at. Take advantage of it. Get out from behind the rig, smile, shake some hands, meet some people and make yourself known. Play it right and these freebies will pay off later on.
I agree but you have to really work at it, part of your compensation should be as an in kind sponsorship, when I do these I insist my name and logo is on all advertising, mentioned in all radio and television ads, on any posters or banners for the event, basically anywhere they advertise, I get advertised