E-Mail to a B&G

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
One of the reasons I was holding off on posting on CL is I didnt want to be associated as or with all the bottom feeding DJ's .

Bottom feeding DJ's are a mindset created by DJ's. The client's don't really think in those terms. Place a better quality ad than they do set yourself apart

I think you are confusing recurrence with what you are calling top of mind awareness. To be seen each place a prospect searches is just advertising recurrence, not top of mind.

Top of mind branding is beyond your capacity. It means your name is already in the head of people who have never hired you even BEFORE they search anywhere. If I say "cola" you think Pepsi or Coke - without searching anything. Developing TOMA involves a whole lot more than simply being at the top of each advertising list. You don't have the resources for that.

At best, you can maintain TOMA only with your existing client base which serves you by way of direct referral, not a top-of-mind response from new prospects.

You are right to an extent Bob. I certainly don't have the resources to create a worldwide TOMA like Pepsi or Coke but I can create a small local top of mind awareness and that's what I'm interested in.

As an example a few years back I had my vehicles marked. I ordered a pizza on the way home one night. They asked me my name and when I told him he said you're the DJ guy I've seen your vehicles around. Now he may never hire a DJ but when someone talks about DJ's who's he going to remember?

I love all the responses and I "Liked" them even if I disagreed because you look the time to write them.

I will answer back to a couple...

I wrote the editorial (lol) mainly for me, just to get it out. Personally if I got that response I might not have read the whole thing. I don't usually respond like that, a simple I am booked, here's a number of a guy, yada yada. But sometimes I I do just because it helps me get it out of my system.

I have been DJing full time for 30 years and I go into events not thinking they are all about me, but I go in thinking that if I fuck up, the party is ruined and the best dinner in the world is NOT going to make the party great. The party is NOT about me, but I have control over how people think about it the next day. They will not remember my name, or maybe even the music itself, but they WILL remember that they went to this event and had a great time. It's not about me, it's about the event.

I do Craigs List in the hopes of maybe filling up a date and it's free. As a full time DJ I am home at my computer a lot and I don't always spend my time at the ODJT Arcade (thanks Dan!) so why not. If someone sees my name there and then sees it somewhere else, there ya go. :) Did you read all this? ;)

Sorry but it's all about ME! Just kidding! It is about me giving a good performance so that the people who attended the event will say they had a good time. Hopefully some of them will come up to me requesting a business card and when they know of someone looking for a DJ they will refer them to me.

Reactions: Chuck The DJ
If you were to hire yourself, how much would you pay? Seriously, what do you think you're truly worth? And, do you consistently get that amount when you're hired?
When I hire myself, I make me do it for FREE, and I'm worth EVERY penny![emoji1] I also make myself do all kinds of stuff that someone else would charge extra for. The best part is, I do everything exactly as I tell myself to do it, so it's ALWAYS perfect![emoji1] Fortunately I make a little more when someone else hires me.[emoji4]

I wrote the editorial (lol) mainly for me, just to get it out. Personally if I got that response I might not have read the whole thing. I don't usually respond like that, a simple I am booked, here's a number of a guy, yada yada. But sometimes I I do just because it helps me get it out of my system.

Kudos to you, for attempting to help a young couple not make a mistake, even though it can't possibly benefit you (financially) in any way. That's class. Now, the reason for my question, I've done the same thing on occasion. What always gets me is that, often times, you try to help someone, it's not what they want to hear, and they fire back a hateful response. I've come to the place that I no longer need to get it out of my system. I hope they listen to your sage words of wisdom.

One of the reasons I was holding off on posting on CL is I didnt want to be associated as or with all the bottom feeding DJ's .

Posting on CL doesn't make you a bottom-feeder. It's the way you handle your biz that does that. CL is a legit platform to get eyeballs on your message, and it's not just poor, crappy prospects. I've landed any number of good-paying jobs, sometimes huge-paying jobs. In advertising, overlooking a medium, simply because it's free or you perceive some stigma in the DJ circles only makes you one thing; foolish.

When I hire myself, I make me do it for FREE, and I'm worth EVERY penny![emoji1] I also make myself do all kinds of stuff that someone else would charge extra for. The best part is, I do everything exactly as I tell myself to do it, so it's ALWAYS perfect![emoji1] Fortunately I make a little more when someone else hires me.[emoji4]
I have a feeling you like playing with yourself. ;-)

I kept it short compared to Chuck.

Bride on gigmasters: I need a Dj and someone to make announcements. I would like mostly country music some pop and todays hits. My budget is around $250.00

My response: Stacy, wedding DJs are over your budget. You need to come up with at least $400 more.

Posting on CL doesn't make you a bottom-feeder. It's the way you handle your biz that does that. CL is a legit platform to get eyeballs on your message, and it's not just poor, crappy prospects. I've landed any number of good-paying jobs, sometimes huge-paying jobs. In advertising, overlooking a medium, simply because it's free or you perceive some stigma in the DJ circles only makes you one thing; foolish.
Last thing I want to do is come off as foolish, thanks Rick.

You are right to an extent Bob. I certainly don't have the resources to create a worldwide TOMA like Pepsi or Coke but I can create a small local top of mind awareness and that's what I'm interested in.

As an example a few years back I had my vehicles marked. I ordered a pizza on the way home one night. They asked me my name and when I told him he said you're the DJ guy I've seen your vehicles around. Now he may never hire a DJ but when someone talks about DJ's who's he going to remember?

To be noticed by people who can't hire or refer you is not top-of-mind. It's conspicuous misplaced advertising to non-qualified audiences. I think it unlikely my target prospects will receive a referral from a pizza delivery boy. I just don't see that conversation happening and the pizza boy isn't representative of someone with a qualified need for my services.

Top of mind in our business is all bout referrals - not mere commentary. My leads (I do not have any paid advertising) come in like this:

Hello,
My name is _______ and your name was given to me by _______________ who suggested I contact you regarding an event we're planning on May 5th. The event is a ........

These referrals come from people who's first thought in a conversation with someone looking for support respond with: "I'll give you my guy's contact information. He should be able to help you with that if he's available or refer you to someone who can."

Other times it's another vendor they've hired who suggests: "Here's his contact information. Get in touch with him right away and see if he's available. You want to at least get the date confirmed."

These kinds of referrals are local top-of mind built on the permanent impression of past experience - not random advertisement sightings, vehicle wraps, and web hits. You simply don't have the million dollar advertising budget it takes to psychologically condition people through advertising. DJing is also not as local as you describe it. On average, DJs travel an hour or more to their gigs - more than a 50 mile radius.

Top-of-mind is a state of being: there is no one else. There's Coke and Pepsi and every other cola is perceived as somewhere on the target other than the bulls-eye. The only way to create something like that in our business is through referrals - local people who literally behave like unpaid sales reps to already qualified customers.

Last edited:
I have been DJing full time for 30 years and I go into events not thinking they are all about me, but I go in thinking that if I fuck up, the party is ruined and the best dinner in the world is NOT going to make the party great. The party is NOT about me, but I have control over how people think about it the next day. They will not remember my name, or maybe even the music itself, but they WILL remember that they went to this event and had a great time. It's not about me, it's about the event.

To me, this just sounds confused. I think you've let a DJ marketing phrase rise to the level of myth.

I've been in the event business for over 30 years as well, and I've been involved in the planning and prioritizing process well before any vendors get hired. I can a assure you that for a well planned event - the food is critical. It is more important to the success of an event than any DJ or band. People will avoid events they suspect to have poor food service or lousy meals. Just about all of our celebrations center around food and banquets. People rate the entertainment as entertainment - but, they rate the event by it's hospitality.

These kinds of referrals are local top-of mind built on the permanent impression of past experience - not random advertisement sightings, vehicle wraps, and web hits. You simply don't have the million dollar advertising budget it takes to psychologically condition people through advertising. DJing is also not as local as you describe it. On average, DJs travel an hour or more to their gigs - more than a 50 mile radius.

Funny you say that because the last time we talked about this you had a different take. If I recall you said there was no such think as local top of mind regardless of what you do.

I don't plan on psychologically conditioning everyone through advertising. I do plan on making my name the first one they think of locally when they need a DJ. Past experiences have helped enormously as has well placed advertising over a long term and longevity. I've been around over 30 years also Bob just that alone gives you a pretty good TOMA

I also don't play in a pool of millions. My market is 100,000. There are about 100 DJ's here 6 of which operate above board ( before you ask I'm one of the 6) 3 which have a website (I'm one of the 3 also). It's not that hard to be one of the big fish in the little pond if you place things correctly and you can be the shark in big ponds if you do

Funny you say that because the last time we talked about this you had a different take. If I recall you said there was no such think as local top of mind regardless of what you do.

My take on this has not changed. Top-of-mind is the language you are using. I continue to speak to referrals and conversation.

If my top referring clients had to respond to a game show question: "Disc Jockey" I doubt my name would be at the top of their mind. However, if those same people were discussing an upcoming event need with someone - I'm certain they would refer me. There is a difference.

I have sometimes sent an email to a potential client letting them know what to look for when looking to book a DJ. My response would depend on the type of event they are having. I do it in hopes they will consider my suggestions and truly consider booking us to do the job. I've learned to not put another DJ down. I focus on what we can do for that potential client to make their event a success.

Honestly, I quit reading after the second paragraph and in all likelihood so would the prospect. They sent you a two sentence email and you responded with an editorial. Nothing after the statement: "I'm already booked" is warranted. They asked you two specific questions and you really didn't answer either of them.

Absolutely.
Even if the email was from a cheap, bargain-huntig, tire-kickin bride-zilla...
Your "rant" would not have done any good.
(except to make you feel better)

To me, this just sounds confused. I think you've let a DJ marketing phrase rise to the level of myth.

I've been in the event business for over 30 years as well, and I've been involved in the planning and prioritizing process well before any vendors get hired. I can a assure you that for a well planned event - the food is critical. It is more important to the success of an event than any DJ or band. People will avoid events they suspect to have poor food service or lousy meals. Just about all of our celebrations center around food and banquets. People rate the entertainment as entertainment - but, they rate the event by it's hospitality.

Well we can agree to disagree on this one and that's ok. I will say this last thing that at the end of the night, when I hear people telling the B&G what a great time they had, I know they are NOT talking about the food. It's a team and everyone plays their part, but even if the food was outstanding and the entertainment sucked, band, dj or whatever, in no way would they have had a great time.