Interactive DJs Entertaining without boring.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Cam

New DJ
Oct 20, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.djcamonline.com
I have been hired to provide evenings of interactive entertainment.

I can do this without question. I have run a few test evenings at my other bars with bad results. People like my games but some people seem to get bored.

I'm guessing I will have to make all games less than 5 minutes.

What are some ways to incoperate games at bars without losing interest?

Your header is an oxymoron! If you are entertaining you can't be boring!

What are some ways to incoperate games at bars without losing interest?

One local bar has a night with 4 or 5 of the "Minute to Win It" games. That seems to go over well.

We always used the "What do you have on you?" game. First one to bring up a comb wins ? The first one to show me a hole in your sock etc.

Back around 1995 there was a *completely* obnixiuos radio DJ who played that game at remotes. At most bars he would offer tee-shirts, or concert tickets to the first group of women who could show him a cameltoe!

He totally ruined that game for me...

I have the games set that's not the issue.

I'm getting mixed reactions 50% of the people get into it and 50% hate it.

I'm starting a venue where games will be a big part of the evening. I'm guessing that starting this way vs trying to do something new will make a difference.

I have the games set that's not the issue.

I'm getting mixed reactions 50% of the people get into it and 50% hate it.

I'm starting a venue where games will be a big part of the evening. I'm guessing that starting this way vs trying to do something new will make a difference.

Keep us posted Cam! Sounds interesting!

The problems with games at bars is the whole game part. When I go to a bar I go there to drink and socialize, not play games. If someone is on the mic trying to play a game it interrupts what I originally went there for in the first place. With this being said I have had to do remotes at bars. One of the games I did was putt for prizes. Every 20-30 minutes I would make an announcement and people would line up and you guessed it, putt for prizes. Make one you get a t-shirt make two in a row you get tickets to something, etc. Trivia works great too, quick and interractive and allows you to develop a repoire(spelled wrong?) with the folks. I also learned a few card tricks and would go table to table and introduce myself and ask if they were interested in winning (insert prize here) if they weren't I moved on, if they were I did a few tricks while telling them about the radio station and what was going on tonight, etc

Bottom line, I was very careful to interrupt why they were there in the first place. With this being said Good luck! I don't miss those days lol

I do lots of interactive games for kids gigs . Bottom line is KISS [Keep it simple stupid]. Kids love the games that i do , but i have found that KISS is the golden rule.
Adults would be much harder to entertain , as you're working against the "cynic" in everyone of us.

The problems with games at bars is the whole game part. When I go to a bar I go there to drink and socialize, not play games.

I have made some good coin just doing contests and games in bars. The thing is you have to promote the night as such. I agree if you are just springing games on the bar patrons you will 8 out of 10 time fail miserably and become an annoyance.

"Game Nights" must be promoted to be suceesful!

Paul

What do they do for this game?

There are several tables setup with different games from the show.

http://www.nbc.com/minute-to-win-it/how-to/

Some I have seen done at the bar are:

"This Blows" Blow up a balloon and try to knock over paper cups.
"Caddy Stack" Stack 3 golf balls on top of each other.
"How's It Hanging" Using a banana suspended from your waist, knock two oranges into a dish.

There are several involving tossing/bounding ping pong balls into pint glasses.

"How's It Hanging" Using a banana suspended from your waist, knock two oranges into a dish.

There are several involving tossing/bounding ping pong balls into pint glasses.

This one can be really fun!!!! Get all guys and then have some hawt chicks tie the bannana around their waist to finish they must eat their banana...... that is really fun if you build it up throughout the night.... and make it a grand finally type game.

Another fun one is "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" and yes you use the Big & Rich song for this.... you get couples out on the dance floor one is to be the horse and the other the cowboy. Just like musical chairs when the DJ stops the music one has to be on all fours while the other stratles them like a horse.... last couple in this position each time is eliminated.....

gotta give you guys credit
I have never had luck with games at a private function...
so I have been very quick to avoid them.

we do have great success at a BAR...with a Wednesday happy hour thru the radio station.
we play BEER OR NO BEER.
it's kinda like DEAL OR NO DEAL with numbers on the bottom a different beer bottles.
contestants can win up to 100 beers (actually a $100 gift cert)
it's so popular, the regulars at the bar know how to play the game better than we do.
and they practically stand in line to sign up.

Rob-
Have you ever used any of those in a bar?

Paul

Personally no... but, I have been party to them....

The local country station was hosting a Karaoke contest and used both games.... plus more... one that had to do with womens panty hose but I can't remember exactly how it went.