Equipment question

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I thought LS801p's did not have a "High-Pass" out, simply paralleled outputs to chain more subs -

http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/servman/sm_ls801p.pdf

HA! Looks like you're correct. I sure haven't noticed any kind of cancellation going on and even with the K10s set at full range, this combination has some serious firepower. For this weekend, I think I'm going to keep the config the same and throw the LF switch to "EXT Sub" and see if it makes a difference. I can tell you, adding a dedicated compressor into the chain, and not using the driverack's generalized compressor, made a huge difference. It really cleaned up that sub and tightened it up a lot. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Switching to "EXT Sub" enable's a 100Hz high-pass filter on the K10's - should give you more headroom and a little more protection. However, at low levels, keeping the K10's full range still might sound better.

I've had that setup crankin in some pretty large rooms and never noticed. I'm guessing that the K10 doesn't produce much <100hz on its own. This does give me some interesting options this weekend. I'd thought about doing a stereo rig. The units will be about 50-75 feet apart. Guess I could run mono and feed the 2nd stack off the first. I'm still a bit torn on whether I need to run an extra set of tops and whether I should mount them together or spread them even farther apart. This was last year's setup and should be the same as this year.

Lighting_Photobooth_Franklin_Bowling%2B%25286%2529.jpg
I'm going to try and put my stacks on either side of the stage, on the inside corner of each video screen. I was thinking of placing a pair of EV ZXa1s between the screens and the outer wall. May not even need the extra pair as this rig handled an even larger room, with ease, just a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?

ittigger said:
Now yours is linked. @Big Dan .. not sure why it's doing that - randomly inserting (USER) code.

It's because the OP is directing his comments to people by using the "@" symbol which inserts the user function . When you reply the quote function extends the user attribute to the entire quote. Cutting and pasting while editing can extend it to the entire post.

Reactions: ittigger
Dont laugh, both wired and wireless are Nadys

Get rid of them. Nady mics are junk.

Your 4 channel mixer is probably an older all-around PA device that has broad range sensitivity. The weak mics sound better on it because the mixer is capable of picking up the slack - something modern DJ gear doesn't do.

I'm going to try and put my stacks on either side of the stage, on the inside corner of each video screen. I was thinking of placing a pair of EV ZXa1s between the screens and the outer wall. May not even need the extra pair as this rig handled an even larger room, with ease, just a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?

I would consider putting them on the inside of the screen but instead of putting separate speakers on the outside near the outer walls, I would just use dual tops on the inside with 60 degree horns splayed.

One speaker immediately to each side of the screen would work as well and might even look better. Either way it looks like a 4 speaker job to me to get the best coverage.

It's because the OP is directing his comments to people by using the "@" symbol which inserts the user function . When you reply the quote function extends the user attribute to the entire quote. Cutting and pasting while editing can extend it to the entire post.

Nice catch. :D

Dont use the "@" function ?

Reactions: ittigger
I have an SKB 6u rack with a mixer space up top and laptop tray, as well as a Driverack PX that I would offer up pretty cheap. If you are interested, let me know. Those pieces are almost like new, but I have upscaled that particular system a little bit.

No laughing or judging here, you're still working on getting together a nice system. Our first wireless mic was an old Gemini...it's still sitting around the house somewhere too.

I think your money may be best spent on stepping up to a Shure or EV mic (I say Shure, but many others here have great luck with the EVs). You'll get a quality mic that will last you for quite some time. As for the MC6000, that unit should last you a very long time, so why not upgrade the other components of your system.
You nailed it. I just saw your post. He buys a MC 6000 but buys a cheap mic. Doesn't make much sense. I bought a Gem Sound dual cordless mic as an emergency piece that I needed right away. It was $50.00 plus tax. It was a waste of money. It didn't last long as the power button on the receiver broke and it went in the garbage. Buy once and forget it. I have 2 EV cordless mics and no issues including a corded mic that wasn't much but again no issues.
No laughing or judging here, you're still working on getting together a nice system. Our first wireless mic was an old Gemini...it's still sitting around the house somewhere too.

I think your money may be best spent on stepping up to a Shure or EV mic (I say Shure, but many others here have great luck with the EVs). You'll get a quality mic that will last you for quite some time. As for the MC6000, that unit should last you a very long time, so why not upgrade the other components of your system.

You nailed it. I just saw your post. He buys a MC 6000 but buys a cheap mic. Doesn't make much sense. I bought a Gem Sound dual cordless mic as an emergency piece that I needed right away. It was $50.00 plus tax. It was a waste of money. It didn't last long as the power button on the receiver broke and it went in the garbage. Buy once and forget it. I have 2 EV cordless mics and no issues including a corded mic that wasn't much but again no issues.

First off, I am not sure if you are in a position to be criticizing anyone else here, second, I had the cheap mic's long before I bought the MC6000. Its better not assume things, as you know what they say, you dont know why or what my circumstances where at the time as to why I chose the buy the cheaps wireless mics.

I bought what I could afford at the time, and those cheap mics actually worked very good when I used them this year doing announcements and awards for an event a club that I am member puts on. I was very shocked how well the crappy wireless ones worked, damn near fell out of my chair . They are still getting replaced though .