EV EKX vs ETX

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I appreciate the correction, for sure.

According to EV, they are not limiting. They are only "saying" that they are limiting. (???)

I agree, the dual 10"s have more surface area than a 15 or 18 and can certainly "react" quicker, so they are quite impressive for sure. You can't understand the sound until you hear them. And at 57 or so pounds, I will take it!

According to EV, they are not limiting. They are only "saying" that they are limiting. (???)

I agree, the dual 10"s have more surface area than a 15 or 18 and can certainly "react" quicker, so they are quite impressive for sure. You can't understand the sound until you hear them. And at 57 or so pounds, I will take it!

I really do like an L1 and have been tempted to get a B2 module, even though I rarely use my Bose rig. It's really a nice system and, when paired with a decent sub, it makes a potent rig. The three main issues I have against Bose are;

1) No redundancy without spending another $3k for a 2nd system.

2) I hate that you can't load those sticks on a cart and get them thru a doorway (you have to turn them sideways).

3) You're pretty much stuck with the tower on the floor.

Speaking to #3, yesterday was a good example. I was doing a Marshalls grand opening yesterday. Big room, but it was filled with clothing up to the 5ft mark. The Bose was dead, 75 feet back and I was getting complaints from old people about being too loud (up close to the unit). I switched over to just a pair of QSC K10s, put them on a duplex adapter and cranked them 9 feet in the air. Sound carried well all the way to the back of the store and the amount of bass I got off just those 10s was comparable to the Bose's double B1s. Even my wife commented that it was a superior setup/sound........and she's a Bose fanatic.

And that's exactly correct. That's why i wish there was some kind of way there could do an update to fix this issue with the ETX speakers. It's not an issue that actually affects performance but it will scare you into thinking you're overdriving them and in your case cause you to switch speakers all together. I've had multiple conversations with EV all the way to getting put in touch with the engineers. Basically the light just tells you they are working. So these are the first speakers i've ever owned where i ignore the Limit light and just enjoy the amazing sound

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
I could not get past a light that says "limit" staring at me. Limit, to me, says that it's too loud and you need to cut it back.

It would be great for the current users to get that updated so that when the limit light appears, it's actually limiting but I have since moved on.

Reactions: Loneavenger
I think it was magicmoments who said he was not pleased with the EKX 15 sub. Which one(s) do you have? Care to share any more thoughts?
I have the 15's , I really cant add much because I have nothing to compare them to, but for me, I am impress with how they sound , you can feel the bass , but so far , all my use has just been setup in the garage, so I have yet to use them in a larger room , but I am not kidding myself, I am not expecting them to be great in a larger room.

That whole hindsight thing, I wish I would of gone with the 18's, but I wanted something easy and lighter to move around.

I have the 15's , I really cant add much because I have nothing to compare them to, but for me, I am impress with how they sound , you can feel the bass , but so far , all my use has just been setup in the garage, so I have yet to use them in a larger room , but I am not kidding myself, I am not expecting them to be great in a larger room.

That whole hindsight thing, I wish I would of gone with the 18's, but I wanted something easy and lighter to move around.

I don't have the 15's so i can't speak as much for them. But i know the 18's are more of a long throw design so they work amazingly well in a large room. I would imagine with the 15's being a similar design that they also should perform pretty well in a large space

Reactions: SEDJ
Well I bit the bullet and can't wait! I purchased a pair of the EV EKX-15Ps. They arrive Thursday! My next question, what type of pole do I need to buy/build to put them over my subs since I don't wanna sit them directly on them? TIA!

which subs? weight of the tops and what can the subs support?
If not, you'll need stands - alum are a lot lighter to carry around and IMO just as strong.

The poles I use are not as long/high as I'd like..probably better for safety. I'd like to get the botton of the top speaker 5.5 to 6' high.

I currently have a pair of the Peavey 118s until I can get a powered pair. I can't find anywhere what weight they will support via pole mount. The speakers I just purchased weight just under 54lbs.

yeah, peavey literature tends to be a bit thin.

this manual (pdf) on page 7..not your sub, but you can see the thought process. I put my 42lb ish DXR12's on a 4foot ish pole..seemed stable to me. But it was on a concrete floor (not carpet, wood, which might be unlevel) and not around drunks or dancers.

You want a stable setup, something that isn't top heavy and going to be knocked over, or start teetering, by some inebriated guest, or someone leaning on it, etc.

Reactions: BlueLineDJ
Well I bit the bullet and can't wait! I purchased a pair of the EV EKX-15Ps. They arrive Thursday! My next question, what type of pole do I need to buy/build to put them over my subs since I don't wanna sit them directly on them? TIA!
Subs weigh about 60 pounds, so you probably should keep the tops to a max of 30-35# for stability. Pole needs to have a M20 screw on one end. Can use a basic one like this: On-Stage Stands SS7746 Sub Pole w/M20 Attachment

Reactions: BlueLineDJ
So the speakers came in and it's like night and day between the EKX 15P's and my Peavey 215s. Like I previously said I plan on mounting these on a pole over my peavey 118s when needed. I ordered the Gator Frameworks ultimate sub pole. The base of these have the 1 3/8" adapter that can also screw off to reveal the m20 screw I assume is what the EV subs have. Well those won't work with my 118s. Any pole that goes into the top of the 118s must be long enough to slide all the way down inside the sub and to the floor. Guess I will need to go ahead and order the EV ETX subs so I can make use of my pole, LOL.

Reactions: steve149
no pole goes thru to the floor -there's a speaker in the middle of the box that is in the way of that. Most only go in 6 or 8 inches, even the EV ETX 18Sp I have
Gotcha, well on my Peavey 118s the pole goes all the way to the floor.