EV ZXa5 woofer replacement Help!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

d2benz

DJ
Feb 10, 2011
washington dc
Can someone please let me know how to open up my ZXa5 speaker?
I've removed the 9 screws and the cabinet is not coming apart? Is there anything else that need to come off?
I don't want to remove un-necessary screws...
I want to replace my blown DVX3150 and take in for a Recone.
thanks!

Cheers!

Can I ask how many times have you re-coned your driver? Next logical question do you have a sub? If not you are pushing those speakers to hard hence the blown drivers.

Are you still using the sound maximizer?

That speaker is an active speaker and have been engineered so that the drivers and amp and cabinet are matched. Another driver would fit and work but the cabinet would not sound the same.

Reactions: ittigger and DJ SVO
d2benz,

The following is quote from you right here at ODJT from August 13,2013 -

"I've owned a pair of these great speakers for about 2 years and have had numerous problems, mostly failed woofer that have been reconed many times. EV even replaced one of my speakers at one point. between the 2 speakers the woofers have been reconed about 12 times...at about $180 each time and cost of renting replacement speakers while mine is down...I've paid enough money to buy another pair....oouuch!!"

I wasn't hanging around here at the time, but it looks like your still peeing through drivers so now your going to change them yourself. That's cool, but obviously something is seriously wrong that this continuously happens.

#1 - You need to closely examine the failed driver and try to figure out it's failure mode. Voice coil burn up, spyder (inner suspension) broken, etc..
Basically your trying to determine if it was too much current that caused it to fail, too much heat, or too much cone excursion. No sense guessing if we don't have to. If it's not abuse then you have to have something earlier in the electrical sound stream that is doing this.

#2 - Under ideal conditions, drzinc is right, you should use an exact replacement driver. These are NOT ideal conditions. Until you figure out what is happening I think steve149 is correct - call Parts Express and get the cheapest driver that has similar mechanical/electrical specifications ( the so called Thiele/Small parameters).

My two cents.

What amp do you drive it with? And what's the signal chain look like .. a clipped signal will do havoc to a driver.

Reactions: ittigger and DJ SVO
Steve,
With the EV ZX5 if you look at the other threads the VC was toast from top to bottom and to me the problem was the Maximizer on a powered speaker. While the source may be green what signal is getting to the speaker with the subharmonic synths can create the havoc mentioned. An EQ is perfect as processing in this type of speaker to cut what is causing problems but, Maximizers in these are the Devil.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Thanks for all the feedbacks and Qs.
No, I don't use the maximizer anymore, that was when I first got the speaker and I realized that I don't need them for this high output speaker.
YES, I have a sub and use the speakers with the subs.. LS801P. (YORKVILLE)
I haven't had an issue with the driver for almost 2 years...longest period since my investment....
I have a spare dvx3150 ready for this moment becos I can't afford to leave the speakers in shop for 2 weeks .. Weekly gigs.
I will put the blown 1in shop for repair.
NO, I don't do the recloning myself.

I'm thinking of trying out the Emminence 15" LFA... One of my friends replaced his dVX3150 with those.

I'm not the only one that had issues with these speaker.. I know colleagues that have occasional issues with it.
Don't get me wrong... I still love zXa5.....

Thank u all for comments... I hope I've answered all questions.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ SVO
db, if you're the only guy having problems, you might want to get in touch with EV. I had some problems with a pair of Live-X 12s, squawked about it on sid's board and the midwest marketing manager called me personally and arranged for replacement amps. Those guys are serious about customer service, just let them know (in a nice way).

Drzinc - I took off the grill and there is no way to remove the driver....

Has anyone removed or replaced this driver before?.

Maybe I have to remove more screws or split the cabinet open somehow...

db, if you're the only guy having problems, you might want to get in touch with EV. I had some problems with a pair of Live-X 12s, squawked about it on sid's board and the midwest marketing manager called me personally and arranged for replacement amps. Those guys are serious about customer service, just let them know (in a nice way).
You are right... Some of them are and some are not.
They replaced one of my ZXa5s.

Steve,
With the EV ZX5 if you look at the other threads the VC was toast from top to bottom and to me the problem was the Maximizer on a powered speaker. While the source may be green what signal is getting to the speaker with the subharmonic synths can create the havoc mentioned. An EQ is perfect as processing in this type of speaker to cut what is causing problems but, Maximizers in these are the Devil.
He said ZXa5 and I had ZX5 stuck on the brain for some reason ...

I agree that some of the signal "enhancers" can do funny things to the waveforms if not used judiciously. However, a good powered speaker should have appropriate limiting to prevent VC meltdown or cone thrashing .. not sure if the ZXa5 has one.

A quick look around the net shows LOTS of these occurring, so I suspect that the limiting function is minimal and the woofer is overdriven.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ SVO