Got let down by my GTD this week

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
One of my country club accounts called for a rental sound system with a lav mic this week, on Thursday. I did the install Wednesday evening, tested it out and everything sounded great. We've done sound for this room on multiple occasions. Rental fee was $200. On Thursday, I get an email from the events director, saying the client was complaining of "squeaks" and "pops" and they didn't want to pay. I told her, "no charge" and apologized for the problems.

I went up there to pick it up Thursday evening and re-tested. When I walked around the room (no more than 40 feet from the receiver) I did hear a number of squelch drop-outs and system pops. For the mic, I was using my GTD 4-channel unit. The antennas are mounted on the back of the unit and inside the rack case. I have noticed drop-outs before on a ceremony with this configuration so, guess I need to switch back to the 2-channel unit with antennas on the front. My question is, should that enclosed rack bag be blocking off signal at that close of a range or is it more likely that the particular channel being used for that body pack, possibly butting heads with another wireless device in the room? First time I've had to eat a rental on that unit. I hate losing money.

Get the antennas visible .. either by facing the back toward the mic or bringing them out front. You can always use a splitter kit (like this: SHURE UA221 | Passive Antenna Splitter Combiner Kit | agiprodj ) and combine the 2 "A" antennas (A+C) and the 2 "B" antennas (B+D) and bring them out to a single 1/2 wave pair (need 1/2 wave to avoid ground plane issues - these are the ones about a foot long). Either mount them with thru barrel connectors in a blank panel or the GtD rack ears if there's room .. or mount them through the case sticking up or out the side. Use barrel connectors like these ( "Neutrik NBB75DFIB BNC "D" Feed-Through Isolated Black" from www.parts-express.com! ) or the simpler ( "Neutrik NBB75FI BNC Feed-Through Isolated Nickel" from www.parts-express.com! ) .

Get the antennas visible .. either by facing the back toward the mic or bringing them out front. You can always use a splitter kit (like this: SHURE UA221 | Passive Antenna Splitter Combiner Kit | agiprodj ) and combine the 2 "A" antennas (A+C) and the 2 "B" antennas (B+D) and bring them out to a single 1/2 wave pair (need 1/2 wave to avoid ground plane issues - these are the ones about a foot long). Either mount them with thru barrel connectors in a blank panel or the GtD rack ears if there's room .. or mount them through the case sticking up or out the side. Use barrel connectors like these ( "Neutrik NBB75DFIB BNC "D" Feed-Through Isolated Black" from www.parts-express.com! ) or the simpler ( "Neutrik NBB75FI BNC Feed-Through Isolated Nickel" from www.parts-express.com! ) .

You're probably right. I'm thinking I'm just going to swap out the 4-channel for the 2-channel, which has antennas on the front. I've never had a single issue with the 2-channel receiver before. Do you have a source on half-wave antennas that would (might) work with these GTDs? I believe the connector has a screw-on antenna instead of the quick-release unit pictured on your connectors linked.

I have my gtd system in a rack but the back is off... I get very good range up to 300 to 500 feet outdoors and 150 to 200 indoors.

Reactions: sonic-vision
You're probably right. I'm thinking I'm just going to swap out the 4-channel for the 2-channel, which has antennas on the front. I've never had a single issue with the 2-channel receiver before. Do you have a source on half-wave antennas that would (might) work with these GTDs? I believe the connector has a screw-on antenna instead of the quick-release unit pictured on your connectors linked.
I think these are in the same freq range ... Audio-Technica ATW-A3D UHF Antennas for UHF Wireless Systems, 655 - 680MHz, Pair

That is the problem with rentals. If you weren't there to trouble shoot the equipment, or try to remedy the situation then they will complain. You weren't there, so you have to take their word for it. If they don't want to pay over any small issue you either give them the rental for free, OR charge them, and have a client willing to write a bad review. There isn't much basis for a discount for alleviating the situation on those matters, it's usually u get the agreed upon price, or they don't want to pay anything at all because of some pops or signal drops, or feed back etc.

Had you been there, and had a back up microphone system to install, or a mixer with an additional mic system ready to go, then the situation could have been fixed quickly.

Ive been thinking about moving the antenna's to back of the case as well, or on the top/side using like a L shape mount.

What size hole is needed for the TNC splice ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Romard
That is the problem with rentals. If you weren't there to trouble shoot the equipment, or try to remedy the situation then they will complain. You weren't there, so you have to take their word for it. If they don't want to pay over any small issue you either give them the rental for free, OR charge them, and have a client willing to write a bad review. There isn't much basis for a discount for alleviating the situation on those matters, it's usually u get the agreed upon price, or they don't want to pay anything at all because of some pops or signal drops, or feed back etc.

Had you been there, and had a back up microphone system to install, or a mixer with an additional mic system ready to go, then the situation could have been fixed quickly.

The problem is, these organizations aren't willing to pay $500 to have a tech there. These rentals are done by a few of the country clubs we work with and I've had zero problems to date. I'll have to chalk this one up and move on and try to do a better mic check before leaving next time. This is easy money, most of the time.

Reactions: ittigger
I believe that's a quarter wave.
No, by the size it is a 1/2 wave. Quarter wave antennas are about 4-5 in long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What size hole is needed for the TNC splice ?
I'd say the hole needs to be about 10mm, but I'd measure the connector before drilling to be on the safe side. Specs for TNC say the diameter is 9.6mm, which is 3/8 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SEDJ
I'd say the hole needs to be about 10mm, but I'd measure the connector before drilling to be on the safe side. Specs for TNC say the diameter is 9.6mm, which is 3/8 inches.

Thank you Bob, I spent some time trying to find out the size but was unable too, guess I didnt look in all the right places.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
When you rely on the cheapest options your reputation can suffer, and rightfully so.

At $200, what other gear are you providing?

When you rely on the cheapest options your reputation can suffer, and rightfully so.

At $200, what other gear are you providing?
If your gear fails, regardless of how much you paid for it, your reputation can suffer. If your PA system, including microphones, performs well, regardless of cost, then you're likely to receive positive reviews. Most clients can't look at a speaker, mixer, or microphone, and tell you what it costs. If it sounds bad or doesn't work, they will know that. I have yet to have a client ask me what I paid for my gear. All they care is that it works.

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
If your gear fails, regardless of how much you paid for it, your reputation can suffer. If your PA system, including microphones, performs well, regardless of cost, then you're likely to receive positive reviews. Most clients can't look at a speaker, mixer, or microphone, and tell you what it costs. If it sounds bad or doesn't work, they will know that. I have yet to have a client ask me what I paid for my gear. All they care is that it works.

That was my standard ceremony rig. It operates like a champ. This is the first rental that has messed up on me. I do think the 2-channel unit is a bit more solid than the 4-channel. I'll change it out before next use.

Reactions: SEDJ and DJ Bobcat
If you put a $2000 Shure/Sennheiser receiver inside a cabinet and don't set up the antennae properly, it will most likely fail as well. I don't think this is as much an issue with the quality of a GtD unit as it is a unit setup incorrectly. Not saying there aren't reasons that a $2K setup would be a better choice in many situations .. But if you don't deploy gear properly, it isn't necessarily the issue with the gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk