Have you ever cracked a speaker magnet?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Cam

New DJ
Oct 20, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.djcamonline.com
Have you ever cracked a speaker magnet?

I guess it can be done I'm just wondering how common. It has happened to me twice. The first time I know the speaker was dropped it just seems odd being inside a cabinet that this would happen.

I tried to straighten out the magnet so it was in-line and the voice coil didn't rub but that didn't work.

Cam,

Are you talking about cracked as in broken or shifted as in you broke the bonding and the magnet shifted it's position on the center pole?

To answer your question Yes I have done both, the JBLs I have used in the past were notorious for shifting and yes it is nearly impossible to get them positioned again, but it can be done using an aluminum or copper spacer and a rubber hammer along with slow cure epoxy. But you have to get the magnet completely loose from its backing and remove any pieces of the magnet that stuck to the backer clean both the magnet and back plate. I assume you are going to have them professionally reconed. I tried my hand at that process and found I just didn't have the knack for it.

If the magnet is broken across it's circumference just toss it out it can't be fixed.

They both cracked unevenly in half. I would describe it as parallel to the speaker cone.

I tried to fix it but there were magnet pices in the voice coil. I took the magnet off removed them now I can't get the two magnet pieces lined up.

Cam, don't even bother, they are done. What speakers are they? perhaps there is a recone place you can take them too in your area.

They both cracked unevenly in half. I would describe it as parallel to the speaker cone.

I tried to fix it but there were magnet pices in the voice coil. I took the magnet off removed them now I can't get the two magnet pieces lined up.

That is exactly what happened to mine, and they were able to fix it no problem.

I am waiting on word locally for a replacement. Ben has one lined up for me if I can't get it local.

There is a big Touring company in Pittsburgh that uses Turbosound I'm waiting for a call back from him. If I don't hear from him today, I'll be giving Ben a call.

The broken one.. I don't know if I can salvage the voice coil / cone or not.

Ouch! that is a short warranty for a speaker!

Really you think so?

If a speaker fails because of bad manufacturing it's going to fail in first few uses.

I think 30 days is fair for Speakers, at least passive ones.

I don't think this is any result of the speaker maker it has to do with it probally being dropped or banged around.

Cam,

Did you drop your speaker?

Yes I think it is extremely short for the price of the unit. Most passives carry a year or more by other manus, perhaps some of the retailers here can explain it better!

Personally I think warranties are a direct refelction of a manufacturers confidence in their product. If a manu knows that their products have a high failure rate after one year in service they will generally keep their warranty down to a year or six months. On the other hand if they know from experience that their product will hold up for 5 or 6 years without problems they are more likely than not to carry a warranty of 3 to 5 years for that product.

Cam,

Did you drop your speaker?

Yes I think it is extremely short for the price of the unit. Most passives carry a year or more by other manus, perhaps some of the retailers here can explain it better!

Personally I think warranties are a direct refelction of a manufacturers confidence in their product. If a manu knows that their products have a high failure rate after one year in service they will generally keep their warranty down to a year or six months. On the other hand if they know from experience that their product will hold up for 5 or 6 years without problems they are more likely than not to carry a warranty of 3 to 5 years for that product.

I personally didn't drop the speaker. It doesn't mean that someone else didn't. I do have people help me from time to time.

After browsing their website there is not a single mention of warrenty on any of their products.

Cam, for the magnet to actually break as described unless there was already a major manufacturing flaw the box should have shown significant damage.

If it was simply a matter of the bonding coming loose and the magnet sliding out of place between the face and back plates you have a different story to tell. The old 80's JBL speakers had a real problem with the bonding coming loose, but to actually break a magnet you had to let the raw speaker have a hell of a drop onto concrete to break the magnet in half, even then it would have to hit right on the magnet.

Are these Neodymium magnets?

Cam are these sheilded boxes? Using two magnets with the poles in reverse to each other?