How do you generate referrals?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Galager

DJ Extraordinaire
Feb 5, 2016
I read some posts and hear that some of you get a majority of your gigs from referrals. I don't. I wish I did. I feel I am an excellent DJ. I even do well at sales (I was a full commissioned salesman for 15 years).

My question is what do you do to get those referrals? Strategies? Rewards? Threats of bodily harm?

Teach me wise ones.

Sales Man for 15 years...Have you tried door to door sales?
Go to nice neighborhoods, walk house to house, and knock on doors. Introduce yourself, and ask if they might be in the market for a Wedding or Party DJ in the next 12 months? If Yes, great, if no, leave biz cards and a brochure with them and ask them to refer you if they know of any one getting married or throwing a party. ...Many people know someone putting an event together at some point.

Don't be lazy...go knocking on doors. Let us know what the results are!

...If you make 250 contacts each month, you are bound to get a booking or two from it!

Referral business has dried up for me from most venues over the years. Staff changed out too many times. Newer staff doesn't want to deal with referring vendors at many places. They just care about their own jobs. This is why I utilize Google, and Gig Masters more than ever. Online inquires are where more of my business is coming from this year. ...Some bookings still coming from word of mouth from previous clients too.

you can't expect referrals from venues all of my business is from referrals by previous clients, I do a great job and then stay in touch, so if someone mentions they are looking for a DJ guess whose name pops into their head

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I'm not shy. I ask for them. I ask them beforehand that if I do a great job for you, would you recommend me to others that may be looking for a DJ? They always say sure. So, would you mind if I sent you a friendly hello about once or twice a year via email or postcard just so you have my contact info to give out if needed? I won't share your info to anyone without your consent.

I would also network like crazy. Join bni groups, chamber of commerce. Call other djs. I still get call from other DJ companies. I network with them, help them out. On occasion, if there is a hole in my schedule I'd like to fill, I send an email letting them know what dates I'm available.

Almost all of my bookings are referral....by past clients, guest of past clients, venues & other wedding vendors.

With most of my clients, I've connected with them via FB. I interact it with them before and after their wedding. I create personal friendly relationships with many of them. I give them special attention throughout the planning process. They rely on me before, during and even afterwards.

Client guests are also important as you never know who a potential clients is or where you'll meet them. Guest get an advantage over a cold-call inquiry as they are getting to see you in action; a silent interview per say. I give out approximately 10 cards each wedding as they come up and ask for information. It's nice that I can have my assistant slide over to manage the music while I can devote some attention to them directly and spend some quality face time with them.

Venue managers are great to connect with. They know the good vendors who respect their buildings. Many of the places I play, I have free reign to the electrical box, keys to the building, closets to store my gear instead of having to pack it back out to the trailer, etc. They'll open up the building for us and leave, trusting that we'll be there to help watch over things. Since most brides are quick to wrap up their date for a venue, they are also asked quite a bit if they know a good DJ. I keep stock of cards & brochures in their hands.

From my experience, the most popular vendors (and the ones that I connect myself with) are the ones that treat their clients more like a friend vs. a person who just signs them a check. The ones I'm networked with are at the top of the tier in their professions. We all have one goal in mind; taking care of the couple & go to extreme lengths to make it happen. I think that extra is reflective in our rates and the fact that when our clients are asked, our names are mentioned as 'must-haves'.

I've mentioned it before and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but it's just my opinion that if you're not getting a majority of your business from past client referrals, then you're not as good as you thought.

Reactions: Djderik
I have to agree with Randy..... I get most from clients, venues, or other wedding vendors. Nothing sells better than word of mouth from those that have enjoyed your talents and/or service! Keep that in mind at every event....every client meeting....and every business interaction. Just my 2 cents...... from what's served me well in my almost 30 yrs of "spinning"!

I suck at it.
See, most of us forget about them yet expect them to remember us.

Do you send out christmas cards,b'day cards, valentine cards, etc? Probably not.
Do you ask for business? Probably not.
Do you offer an incentive to refer folks to you? "Hey, Happy St Patricks day! If you refer a friend I'll buy you dinner!" (gift card to a restaurant).

Alas, knowing what to do and DOING it are not the same thing.

I suck at it.
See, most of us forget about them yet expect them to remember us.

Do you send out christmas cards,b'day cards, valentine cards, etc? Probably not.
Do you ask for business? Probably not.
Do you offer an incentive to refer folks to you? "Hey, Happy St Patricks day! If you refer a friend I'll buy you dinner!" (gift card to a restaurant).

Alas, knowing what to do and DOING it are not the same thing.
Yes, on the Christmas cards. And, I also give a $50 Visa in a hand-written thank you card as a wedding gift. I only ask for a review, but they are also happy to refer me as their family & friends need a DJ.

Yes, on the Christmas cards. And, I also give a $50 Visa in a hand-written thank you card as a wedding gift. I only ask for a review, but they are also happy to refer me as their family & friends need a DJ.

Please clarify. You give the B&G $50 back in the form of a gift visa card? Has anyone just asked why you didn't knock $50 off? Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting idea...

Please clarify. You give the B&G $50 back in the form of a gift visa card? Has anyone just asked why you didn't knock $50 off? Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting idea...
This is much classier and they get it after the gig to keep the memory fresh, iI started doing this after Randy posted something about it before

Reactions: steve149
one of my DJ Buds does this, and I try to when I remember. You know how at the end of the night, many people as they leave will walk by and maybe give you a quick thanks, or a "nice job DJ",,, well he has cards in hand and will hand them one. So many DJs at the end of the night just start packing up, but if you stand around, maybe turning off your computer or speakers or something that keeps you up front, you make eye contact and people get cards.

Cards are the cheapest most effective form of advertising there is. I usually end up throwing cards out and having new ones made before I run out.

Do something with them.

Maybe Ripple of the Month.

Reactions: Chuck The DJ
How many of you hook up with photographers, wedding planners, etc. and set up a rewards system?

Do you send card for their first anniversary?

Have any of you cold called on some larger businesses for Christmas parties?

Just trying to figure out what is effective. I appreciate all the dialog more than you can know.

Reactions: SEDJ