How to get music at a gig on the fly.?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I have an Ipad and wanted to know how do I use it at a gig to play a song I don't have on my portable HD's? I think I got an idea how to do it. I'm not sure though.

Use a cord that has the plug like a mini headphone Jack and RCA plugs. Take the plug for the headphone Jack and put it into my Ipad. Then hook the RCA jacks in back of my controller to another line. Just go online and pull up a song from YouTube to play. Then just push play. Am I right or wrong?

I have an Ipad and wanted to know how do I use it at a gig to play a song I don't have on my portable HD's? I think I got an idea how to do it. I'm not sure though.

Use a cord that has the plug like a mini headphone Jack and RCA plugs. Take the plug for the headphone Jack and put it into my Ipad. Then hook the RCA jacks in back of my controller to another line. Just go online and pull up a song from YouTube to play. Then just push play. Am I right or wrong?
you are correct, you have passed today's test in the basics of DJing, things everyone with common sense should know

you are correct, you have passed today's test in the basics of DJing, things everyone with common sense should know
Why do you give me such a hard time? Aren't there things you don't know or are you the powerful Wizard of Oz?

The bigger question is .. Do you have that song on the iPad? Since most iPads only have a WiFi connection, unless you have the song with you, or can get a WiFi password, you can't just go to the internet. A phone with a data plan would be better for the circumstance you need to get a song on the fly.

The bigger question is .. Do you have that song on the iPad? Since most iPads only have a WiFi connection, unless you have the song with you, or can get a WiFi password, you can't just go to the internet. A phone with a data plan would be better for the circumstance you need to get a song on the fly.
With respect while a couple of my Ipads are wifi only my Ipad Pro does have cellular connectivity, and I believe all of them are available that way

With respect while a couple of my Ipads are wifi only my Ipad Pro does have cellular connectivity, and I believe all of them are available that way
Available .. yes .. but most don't buy them that way. I am only assuming Mix's is the WiFi version. I have bought 5 iPads .. only my day work one has cellular capability. My gigging iPad Mini 128gb is not.

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
apple music or spotify is WAY better quality than youtube is likely to be, and no fear of a commercial being played.
And you can use your phone..no wifi needed.

and yes, stereo mini plug into headset then into your mixer - whatever connections you have.
or my yamaha stagepas has a USB connector for iDevices...uses the apple cord. I use an old old ipod for backup and sometimes dinner music this way.

I can set up a hot spot with my phone (it's a $179 LG android..nothing fancy) and that makes a secure wifi that I can then use for the ipod or ipad - which i've done to use the VDJ remote app on the ipad - it's really cool to change songs and volume from 150' away!! Great for ceremonies.

Andyes, this is something every 7 year old knows..it's been done it since the first walkman came out..I did similar things when CD players for came out for my car since i had a discman and no disc player in the car.

you know they make ballpoint pens now, right? You don't need to use an inkblotter anymore.

Just checking..never assume! LOL

Don't play YouTube or Pandora at a professional dj gig,,,, that sucks,,, and when you are found out! They will say " well I could have done that". We need to do things that the average joe with a set of powered speakers and a Spotify account cannot do!

I do get music at the show and buy it from Amazon,,,, then I que it up through my iPad with 4 g LTE,,,,, I use my digital input on my mixer ,,,, but before I got my digital mixer I used a 3.5 mm or 1/8 inch connection cable to 1/4 inch plug into an input on my mixer!

Always play it off like you have every song that was ever made,,, get your music as secretively as possible! That will keep cousin Buba from convincing the founder of the gig that they wasted their money on this so called dj.

MIx , I have to agree with Tunes,,,, you should have went to the local music store and acted like you know nothing about dj'ing and asked this question!

Last edited:
I will ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE, use Spotify, if I need a song on the fly and don't have time to download it. I use the "djay 2" app on my ipad, which has a link to my paid Spotify account. No commercials, but I don't tell people that I'm using spotify. I have used YouTube i think, three times. Once for the Jason Aldean and Bryan Adams version of "Heaven" that was requested by the bride. Once for a parody song that the groom insisted I play. the third time for the song "Boats and hos", again at the request of bride. All three times, the first thing i did was look on iTunes, Amazon, and then spotify. Donot use YouTube. Don't use the YouTube Music app.

Just as an FYI, not all cell carriers will allow you to use your smartphone as a hotspot. I know a lot of prepaid carriers do not allow this (StraightTalk, Tracfone, etc).

Reactions: Jeff Romard

It is not a surprise that you would ask this question. You have no clue as to what's going on. Your always bragging about how good you are, how you have pro grade equipment, and how you know exactly how to get the job done, yet you don't even know how to hook your own shit up. Why didn't you call one of your buddies that help you setup your gear for the answer to this very simple question. You fail dj-101, no lunch for you, go to the principles office to get the paddle. You should change your name to MixmasterMacho-CLOWN.

Reactions: DJCC
I don't plan on doing what I heard another DJ with You Tube. It was said he did his whole job from You Tube. I'm talking when someone has a request for a song I don't have. Just looking to use it for that. Not the entire time for sure. No issues with commercials from You Tube as I won't have the fader up until it's time to play the song.

I don't plan on doing what I heard another DJ with You Tube. It was said he did his whole job from You Tube. I'm talking when someone has a request for a song I don't have. Just looking to use it for that. Not the entire time for sure. No issues with commercials from You Tube as I won't have the fader up until it's time to play the song.

Being that this is your logic, I hope you play something that has explicit language, gets talked over or stops playing because it's buffering. I also hope that it has 4 or 5 commercials in it. Maybe then you'll learn. Your customers will learn from these issues - not to hire you or refer you to anyone.

If it's a song you don't have, it's a simple fix - 'I don't have it available'. If you have a connection to youtube, then you have a connection to online stores and can legally obtain / purchase it. If it's either not available or you don't have a connection (in which case you couldn't use youtube or anything else), then write it down and buy it so you have it next time.

You shouldn't be looking to youtube to 'just use it for' playing a song you don't have.

Last edited:
There are ways to convert audio from YouTube videos but again you need a connection. I've done it a time or two in emergencies

If it's something important, it should have been identified prior to the event. YMMV.

That's not always the case. I got a request from the bride Saturday night for Blink 182 she told me it was ultra important (weather it was or not is another story). I didn't have it but my service did so I downloaded it. It happens quite frequently

If it's something important, it should have been identified prior to the event. YMMV.

Any request from the Bride or the Groom I consider "important" weather they have mentioned it in the planner or not. Sometimes they think it' important at that moment, sometimes they forget, sometimes someone puts a bug in their ear, but if it comes from the B&G it is important.

There are ways to convert audio from YouTube videos but again you need a connection. I've done it a time or two in emergencies

That's how I played those three songs, used a convert from YouTube site, but I hated it all three times.