I get to do the event anyhow this Saturday because the DJ had to cancel.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I'm scared of making this post because of the backlash I will probably get from some of the DJs here. But I'm ready and my ego can take it. As some of you know I'm a member of a fellowship designed to see how to help people stay off of drugs. I've done different events for that fellowship over the years.

I have done a number of events for the Greater New Brunswick activities sub committee and they have loved my work. Before I go any further this sub committee was setup to promote unity and fun for us people who are in recovery. It gives addicts who are in recovery a place to come to have some fun and not worry about people drinking and using drugs. This committee doesn't have a large budget to do events with. Their seed money is only $700. It used to be $600. So that's not a lot of money for them to host these events.

The place they are having this speaker jam and dance in this Saturday only charges them $200 to rent the place out and they get the place for 12 hours. So they can't find a better deal then that. That leaves them with $500 left to put on an event. That includes paying for a DJ and buying food to sale at the event so they can recoup the $700 seed money. Anything extra gets turned over to the Greater New Brunswick area.

The last one I did for them I got paid $250. I know some of you will say you got to be kidding. I would never do an event for that low a price. I don't have a problem doing this for them for that price. It's all in the same room so I get there early to setup before the speaker jam portion and in between I play some music during breaks in between the speakers for a few minutes. Once that's over they clear the chairs to start the dance. It normally is to be from 9pm till midnight. The dance never last that long. By 11:30 I can get ready to pack up. I had to explain this first part before I go on so some here will understand.

The new activities chair decided to find another DJ to do the gig instead just talking to me to see if I would do it for the $200 they signed a contract with for the other DJ to do the gig. It wouldn't have been a problem. It's just my way of thanking God for blessing me to still be alive and giving back to the fellowship that has helped me so much with staying clean all these years.

Now onto the issue at hand. I was at the activities meeting yesterday and had a DJ that was supposed to come and do the gig. I found out he was supposed to have another gig before that one the same day and he was supposed to come there after he finished with the first one. The contract was signed and that DJ was given a $100 deposit. He was to be paid the rest of his money the day of the event. I bought a ticket to the event and the ticket is only $7. Now I will find someone to give the ticket to because of the phone call I got this morning.

The activities chair called me in a panic this morning She said the DJ called her this morning saying he couldn't do the event because he was doing a gig on Saturday he had equipment failure. So he can't do the gig this Saturday. I don't know anything about this DJ at all. All I know is what I got told today and now they have to get with that DJ to get the $100 deposit back. So she wanted to know was I available and she forgot I was planning on being there anyhow because I bought a ticket. So I'm going to come to the committees rescue and save the day.

All I will say is I'm glad I have backup gear so if something happens to a piece of gear that won't stop the show in my case. I don't want to say anything else because I don't know who this DJ is and I don't want to speculate on anything.

Mix, I truly don't think anyone will have anything of value to post here. You can't pick and choose where you want input. You either communicate .. or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

The great group of folks that are here have really gone out of their way to try to help you .. and you keep refusing to step up. We know you're not blind. My best advice to you is that if you want to continue to be treated like you are (or worse), then keep marching down the road you're on. If you want it to get better, then you really need to put forth some effort.

Reactions: PhaseIIPro and awdj
Mix, I truly don't think anyone will have anything of value to post here. You can't pick and choose where you want input. You either communicate .. or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

The great group of folks that are here have really gone out of their way to try to help you .. and you keep refusing to step up. We know you're not blind. My best advice to you is that if you want to continue to be treated like you are (or worse), then keep marching down the road you're on. If you want it to get better, then you really need to put forth some effort.
I knew I shouldn't have made this thread because some would just focus on the money side of things. For me not everything is about the money. This is something I'm highly committed to. It's a part of my life as breathing, eating and water are a part of living. For me it's the most important thing in my life. Without it for me I would be back to using drugs again and all hell would break lose including me selling everything for the business again. And I do mean actually not selling but giving stuff away compared to the price I paid for it and what I let it go for.

There are those who won't understand unless they have walked in my shoes.

Mix I have no issue with taking this job and I have no issue with what you will be paid. I think it is a good thing to do this job for yourself and for those in attendance. As a matter of fact I have no issue with any of the jobs you do. My issue with you is you still think and claim you are running a DJ business and that is not true and never has been. You are a hobbies DJ at best and the facts lie within every post you make. As I have said before you do what is best for you and stop making the pricing posts and low ball DJ posts because int he end you are one of those people and it is simple as that. If you want to do that then maybe just maybe people will move on but until then your posts of taking $200 jobs and then turning around and posting about other DJs and their prices or their equipment are going to get you beat up on these forums.

I knew I shouldn't have made this thread because some would just focus on the money side of things. For me not everything is about the money. This is something I'm highly committed to. It's a part of my life as breathing, eating and water are a part of living. For me it's the most important thing in my life. Without it for me I would be back to using drugs again and all hell would break lose including me selling everything for the business again. And I do mean actually not selling but giving stuff away compared to the price I paid for it and what I let it go for.

There are those who won't understand unless they have walked in my shoes.

I said nothing about money. I spoke directly at your interpersonal and communication skills with people here. This also has nothing to do with someone walking in your shoes.

Your 'business' is also a 'breathing and living thing' - and if you refuse to acknowledge the manner in which it has to survive, then it will die. Your 'business' is your child. Treat it poorly and it will treat you poorly. Try to get by the system and it will backfire in your face. Treat it with the care that it deserves and you'll do ok. Treat it with love, respect and honor .. and give it lots of attention .. and it will grow and bloom beyond your wildest imagination.

Last edited:
I was curious as to what equipment that DJ is using and what failed on him that he can't do the gig now. I know I will never find out. Oh well things do happen. I've had equipment that had to go to a shop to be repaired. I remember having to have my QSC 2450 amp repaired once. The power button stopped working. That is the only time I've had to have it fixed in 16 years. That's how long I've had that amp. I wouldn't pick on this DJ because I don't know who it is. I will say I learned a very important lesson. Backup gear is important. You never know when something will fail you. I wonder if it was something that this DJ did to cause the failure, low grade gear or simply something that just happened.

Just in case if someone wanted to ask me I have 2 controllers now, 2 laptops, plenty of speakers. Some powered and non powered as well. I learned my lesson when I made a mistake and used the wrong plug for the first 6000 I had and it got fried. I was fortunate enough to get another one for $50 from a member of the networking meeting. I quickly bought a backup controller in the event something happened again to my main controller. It's a Pioneer controller. Not sure of the model. All I know is it's the one that sells for $250 and needs no plug to work.

Mix what I don't understand is if you have done work for this group in the past HOW did they forget you were DJ or heres the big question did they want someone who is better than the last DJ
Reread what I said. They don't have a very large budget to do these events and they need to save money where ever they can. So the new activities chair didn't forget that I'm a DJ. She just assumed I wouldn't do the event unless I got paid $250. She never bothered to contact me to see if I would agree to a lower price which wouldn't have been a problem for the fellowship. If it were to do with a member that was having a private event then that's different. Some don't see it that way. Some think because they are a member I should give them a special discount. That's not the case. So her thinking was to save $50 to help out the committee. To bad things didn't work out the way she planned. When she told me she was going a different route I wasn't upset at all.

God said this is for me and this is how things turned out. I was truly hoping that this DJ did the gig and was really good for the sake of saving the committee any grief for their choice. My ego is still in tact. My attitude today is I get in where I fit in and what is for me can't nobody take that away from me. God sees to that.

Mix .. NO ONE cares what you charge or what you make on an event .. that's your personal issue .. I have the ability to do many events for free or low cost. You get the comments because in other threads, you either ask what everyone else is making (in many of them) or you talk about how you won't bring out your gear to do a gig for less than $xxx (and yet you seem to do that every time as well) .. it's not because you do freebies or low cost events .. it's because there always seems to be drama around them.

I do question why they wouldn't have asked you to do it for a measly $50 less though.

Mix you are still missing the point, you said I've done a number of events for the Committee, so why wouldn't they call you back and say we have a very tight budget what can you do
You missed the point. I said she assumed I was stuck at a certain price and that I wouldn't budge. She thought this way because that's what I got paid the last time I did an event for them. It didn't dawn on her to at least call me to see what I would do. Well anyhow I got the gig. Like I said I do feel sorry for the other DJ having his equipment to go down. I don't wish that for anybody. Even a DJ I don't like. Which I have one in mind right now.

So you believe God caused the other DJ's equipment to fail so you would get this gig? I'm not an atheist, but I'm not buying that. Equipment failure is caused by things in the physical world, i.e. worn out parts, heat, voltage spikes, behringer etc.

So you believe God caused the other DJ's equipment to fail so you would get this gig? I'm not an atheist, but I'm not buying that. Equipment failure is caused by things in the physical world, i.e. worn out parts, heat, voltage spikes, behringer etc.
No not at all. I just said that because it's just how things worked out. I didn't mean to put God in the mix saying he caused that DJs gear to go down.

my point Mix is if your GOOD they will call you, entertainment make's the party
Again look at it this way. There are weddings where the brides budget is 5k and others that are 50k. Big difference between the two. The one the brides budget is 50k obviously can afford more.

Like I said this committee has a very tight budget and have to watch every penny to make sure they get their $700 seed money. After all the bills are paid they might make a profit between $100 and $300 if they are very lucky.

The entertainment doesn't always make the party a success. Haven't we all done an event where there was hardly any dancing regardless of how great a job we did? I have done some events that were just plain lame. Not many thankfully but it has happened. No matter what you did you couldn't save the event to make it a fun time for all.

Meanwhile he still hasn't answer questions in the other thread. See this is what he does, if you ask him to answer questions he makes another post to distract you. This way everyone forgets about it. Watch. Mix will you be paying taxes on this job? Did you present them insurance for the job? Who is your insurance company? is your library legal as in you paid for all he music in it from legitimate resellers?

I was curious as to what equipment that DJ is using and what failed on him that he can't do the gig now. Just in case if someone wanted to ask me I have 2 controllers now, 2 laptops, plenty of speakers. .

There are weddings where the brides budget is 5k and others that are 50k. Big difference between the two. The one the brides budget is 50k obviously can afford more.

The entertainment doesn't always make the party a success. Haven't we all done an event where there was hardly any dancing regardless of how great a job we did?

You pay WAY too much attention to other DJ's.
It doesn't matter what THEY do, or what THEY charge, or what kind of gigs they get.
It doesn't even matter what equipment they own, or where they use it.

The only thing that should matter is YOU and YOUR business.
Do the gigs that make you happy, charge what you think you can get, and use equipment that you enjoy using.

There will always be DJ's who are better than you and charge more than you...
just as there will always be DJ's who aren't as good as you.
Find YOUR place on that scale and embrace it.

Like I said I do feel sorry for the other DJ having his equipment to go down. I don't wish that for anybody. Even a DJ I don't like. Which I have one in mind right now.

I don't wish it on anyone either but I can't bring myself to feel a bit sorry for the guy. If he was running a business he would have backup or at the very least the ability to rent to cover the gig. He had 7 days to get his s**t together yet he left those folks high and dry

Charging $200 or $100 or one million isn't doing a bit of harm to this business it's fools like him that make us look bad. Everyone in the know in that organization will wonder any time they book any DJ now if they will show up

My issue with you is you still think and claim you are running a DJ business and that is not true and never has been. You are a hobbies DJ at best and the facts lie within every post you make. As I have said before you do what is best for you and stop making the pricing posts and low ball DJ posts because int he end you are one of those people and it is simple as that.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN
!