I had to get another laptop.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
It's not about the stone age. It's about how companies get people to think they must have the latest thing that comes out. That's their job to do so to get people to buy their products. I just wonder when is there a time when you can be satisfied with what you already have?

I still have my big back TV. My sister was surprised I didn't go out and buy a flat screen TV. So far that one is still working just fine. When it finally stops working then I will get a new TV. I don't see the need to waste the money when this one is doing fine. I don't care about having an HDTV. I can see the same thing on the one I have. For others it's a big deal.
Actually if you have standard definition TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio you are not seeing what everyone else sees, you are missing a significant portion of the image

Reactions: ittigger
He's not stealing from the gov't - he's stealing from you and me.

See, gov't costs what it costs - be that a battleship or the library of congress, a mile of road, a prison, a police car.

If SOME people don't pay that cost is still there - but we that DO PAY have to pay more to make up for those that don't pay their share.

So not paying your taxes is STEALING FROM YOUR NEIGHBORS, not the gov't.

It's worse than not working and living off gov't welfare.

Mix now for the question you've been ignoring all week do you pay taxes on your DJ income, by simply ignoring the question we all know the answer, you are basically stealing from the federal government, a common thief no different from the "element" you don't like to play for

Reactions: ittigger
So not paying your taxes is STEALING FROM YOUR NEIGHBORS, not the gov't.
From what I've been seeing his DJ income is so low that it isn't making much difference if he files or not. Mix had taxes taken out of his paychecks for 30 years working for the school system which is probably more than what I've paid througout my life.

Also, the government wastes more money in a nanosecond than what he might owe. The US government seems to love wasting taxpayers money.

And, I doubt that anyone has ever shown him how to do basic book keeping - revenue/expenses etc. Someone helped me a little back in 1980 and I've been filing 1040s ever since. And in the late '80s I took a couple of accounting classes. I'm pretty sure mix never took a single college course, but he did hold down a full time job.

He only has to admit that DJing is a hobby rather than a business. It would only take 3 years for the IRS to establish that since his expenses are higher than his revenue.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
yet you will go waste money on DJ gear you do not need
That's your opinion. I don't see it that way. I use what I buy when it comes to DJ gear at some point. I do regret buying certain things from the past because I could have bought something better. For example I wish I never bought the JBL JRX 125 speakers. The sound was nice but I kept having issues with b;owing either the crossover or the horn in the speaker. That meant I had to keep replacing either one. I eventually sold them after getting a pair of Yamaha S215 and haven't looked back since. Just used them this past Friday and they did the job nicely!

how much did you get paid for the job that justified the purchase of them?
Nothing for the event on Friday. I did this because my sponsor has helped me tremendously over the years and is a big reason I'm still clean and serine today. He never turned his back on me no matter how many times I kept using and coming back. Right after the last time I used he never said a bad word to me at all beating me up. He told me why later on. He said the drugs had beat me down bad enough.

Now go ahead and beat me up for making this post. I'm OK with it because I've made peace with myself over the years and won't let anybody hold me hostage to my past. I did what I did. I'm not that same person today and doing great today. Not perfect as nobody is perfect. Just much better then who I used to be. Been clean this last time for over 19 years thank God.

Over the years those speakers have served me very well and paid for themselves at least 5 times over.

Reactions: Albatross
Nothing for the event on Friday. I did this because my sponsor has helped me tremendously over the years and is a big reason I'm still clean and serine today. He never turned his back on me no matter how many times I kept using and coming back. Right after the last time I used he never said a bad word to me at all beating me up. He told me why later on. He said the drugs had beat me down bad enough.

Now go ahead and beat me up for making this post. I'm OK with it because I've made peace with myself over the years and won't let anybody hold me hostage to my past. I did what I did. I'm not that same person today and doing great today. Not perfect as nobody is perfect. Just much better then who I used to be. Been clean this last time for over 19 years thank God.

Over the years those speakers have served me very well and paid for themselves at least 5 times over.
Mix .. no one is going to beat you up on sobriety .. that's a good thing .. congratulations ..

The beat up (or beat down) is because the facts (space, number of people, logistics, etc.) indicate a much different audio system that would have been a better fit than the one you brought .. that's it.

If you said .. "I know this is overkill, but that's the way my friend likes it, so I begrudgingly brought it all" .. there might have been some understanding.

When you implied it was needed for the 20 or so people there in the size of the room the pictures show and didn't compensate for the issues that some of us know were there (just by looking at the setup) .. those are the things being taken to task.

Never will beat you up for turning your life around, hell will not even beat you up for doing this particular job for free.

I will beat you up for still claiming you are running a business and that is the farthest thing you are doing. I will beat you up for not taking the advice people have given you for years on these forums. I will beat you up for arguing with people who know what they are talking about and you trying to tell them you know better when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

All you have done for the last 5 years is complain about what people want to pay a DJ and time after time after time you take cheap jobs or do freebies because you know the person or they are family or whatever other excuse you come up with but in your next post you will complain about a CL ad looking for a cheap DJ. Then you will also try to find every way possible to get the cheapest deal on gear, services or anything else you want or need .

I will say it again you are a joke on these boards and no one take you seriously. you are just a way to break the daily grind for some of us. Hell you would be better off starting a blog and posting your stories on the web and see if you could make money that way. You sure as hell would be more successful then being a business owning DJ.

Reactions: SEDJ
Mix .. no one is going to beat you up on sobriety .. that's a good thing .. congratulations ..

The beat up (or beat down) is because the facts (space, number of people, logistics, etc.) indicate a much different audio system that would have been a better fit than the one you brought .. that's it.

If you said .. "I know this is overkill, but that's the way my friend likes it, so I begrudgingly brought it all" .. there might have been some understanding.

When you implied it was needed for the 20 or so people there in the size of the room the pictures show and didn't compensate for the issues that some of us know were there (just by looking at the setup) .. those are the things being taken to task.
Steve's playing counselor today

Not gonna beat you for that, there is nothing wrong with doing a free gig once and awhile for a good reason, I do one for my club annually , and being honest, they dont have the money to pay for it, they barley break even on the cost of the show we put on, so there is no money in budget, and I like being able to do my part in help making the show a success.

For me, that is it on doing any freebies.

We have all done free or low paying gigs from time to time. I've been with one organization for the disabled for well over 20 years and do 9 a year for them (including a video dance) at a very low rate. When I'm available I do it myself and when I'm not one of my family does it. My 12 year old did it last weekend it was her first gig. We also do a movie night and a bingo night where my gear is there. As a family we are very involved with this organization and it's a great training ground for new DJ's

I also do 50+ very well paying gigs each year that make up for the little I make (actually lose) on that gig

The problem isn't doing free gigs it's that you have no real plan for your business. You also tend to be very critical of others that do low rate gigs and Craigslist DJ's in general. When you live in a glass house you shouldn't throw stones