I need suggestions for the Yamaha DSR 115 speakers.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I have a pair of Yamaha DSR 115 speakers. They sound and work great but as some of you have seen the wood on the cabinets are beat up. Is there either a place to get the cabinets fixed? Does anyone know where I can either just get another pair of used ones since they are discontinued or cabinets so I can just take the woofers and tweeters out of the old cabinets and put them in some other ones? What do you suggest I do? I really love the sound of those speakers.

to refinish them properly, take them a completely apart, sand them down fill any imperfections with wood putty, sand smooth, prime then cover in Duratex coating, however you wont do it, and any one who will do a good job will be expensive as there are a lot of hour involved in doing this properly, by the way these are not discontinued, the are available everywhere

You have asked this question before, and you were provided with several answers. You didn't take the advice then, so why would you take it now. To answer and give advice would be a waste of everyones time. Also, what makes you think that the dsr115's are discontinued? Yamaha is not saying that on their website.

I have a pair of Yamaha DSR 115 speakers. They sound and work great but as some of you have seen the wood on the cabinets are beat up. Is there either a place to get the cabinets fixed? Does anyone know where I can either just get another pair of used ones since they are discontinued or cabinets so I can just take the woofers and tweeters out of the old cabinets and put them in some other ones? What do you suggest I do? I really love the sound of those speakers.

So from 8/7/2015 @ 4:24pm to 9/8/2015 @ 11:32pm (roughly 1 month), you had 12 qualified answers and you're back asking the same thing? What have you been doing for the last 6 months? Why would anyone give you more advice - if you're not going to use what has been given to you - and for the same thing you already asked?

How's that business plan coming along?

Last edited:
Nacho,

How is the speaker refurb coming along? Maybe you can get your own reality show. Something along the lines of Macho's Speaker Rehab, or Macho's Speaker Overhaul. With the progress that you make(not) on things, the show could last like 10 seasons or so.

Here is one of the speakers where the wood is being worked on. Obviously it's not finished yet. The paint needs to dry and it needs to be sanded down some more with the finishing sand paper. I can't wait to see the finished product. The cabinet is drying in the backyard and I know it will be dry tomorrow. Just need 2 more cans of the spray paint. So sometime on Monday or Tuesday that one should be a finished product.

Attachments

• IMG_5324.JPG
    IMG_5324.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5325.JPG
    IMG_5325.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5326.JPG
    IMG_5326.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5327.JPG
    IMG_5327.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5328.JPG
    IMG_5328.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 14
It might be just the pictures, but if you painted them, it looks like the paint was running - which will not look nice when dry. Looks like you also got paint on the case that's holding the speaker up.

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
It might be just the pictures, but if you painted them, it looks like the paint was running - which will not look nice when dry. Looks like you also got paint on the case that's holding the speaker up.
That actually is a cheap crappy DJ table thing that I thought I could put my controller on. Too cheap and too flimsy. A waste of over $100. It's going in the trash once we finish fixing the speakers.

Do you ever do anything yourself. It seems that you always need someone there helping you along. No matter if it's being the dj at an event, or buffing out a couple of scratches out of your van. Part of being a man is trying to accomplish new things, and going outside of your comfort zone a little. That might be the reason why after so many years, you are still chasing down low budget lounge gigs, that you end up splitting the money with you partner on. Step out of your comfort zone, take a leap of faith, and try something new. If not, you will be here 10 yrs from now talking about thugs, young girls dressed like hoochie mama's, and lounge owners that don't know what they are doing.

If you do these again, you're better off using a roll-on Duratex coating instead of a spray on one .. unless you have the right gear (like an auto shop that sprays truck bed liners), Duratex is a little thicker than texture paint and hides imperfections better.

DuraTex from Acry-Tech Coatings -- America's #1 texture coating for speaker cabinets and road cases!
The serious question is where do I find the Dura tex? Been trying to find it but Home Depot and Lowes don't have it. That's what we wanted to find.

The serious question is where do I find the Dura tex? Been trying to find it but Home Depot and Lowes don't have it. That's what we wanted to find.
Generally have to order it (Parts Express, which I linked above, is a great place) .. might also talk to a local company that sprays pickup truck beds .. sometimes they will spray cabs like these, though depends on the guy with the gun how good a job they do .. some do an awesome job.

Line-X is another, similar, brand .. there is a Line-X spraying place in Bridgewater, NJ that could do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhaseIIPro
Don't know if you want to spend the money, but you could also take them to a place that does spray in bedliners for trucks.

Reactions: ittigger