I need your help with a stage building project

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

tunes4046

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Fennimore Wi
A small community festival that I am on the committee for has the need to build a 20 foot by 20 foot stage, we do not have the budget to rent the proper staging, all of the lumber will be donated by a couple of local hardware stores, this is for a yearly 2 day festival so it needs to be taken apart easily for storage and will be on unlevel ground so it will need some adjustability as far as leg height, does anyone have a source for hardware or any ideas that could help us avoid some of the leaning while you build issues,

In the US DIY stuff can put a huge target on your head. Just look at the videos on YouTube of falling stages with kids and adults. Lawyers live for these situations.

Reactions: ittigger
I am still perplexed at the "can't afford to rent a stage". It's such a small amount of a festival expense this seems ridiculous. The cost of lumber to build your own will easily exceed a rental price. And find a sponsor to cover that cost and call it the "XXXX" stage so they can use it as promotion. A festival that can't support a 1000 stage rental has bigger problems.

I am still perplexed at the "can't afford to rent a stage". It's such a small amount of a festival expense this seems ridiculous. The cost of lumber to build your own will easily exceed a rental price. And find a sponsor to cover that cost and call it the "XXXX" stage so they can use it as promotion. A festival that can't support a 1000 stage rental has bigger problems.
all of the local stage companies have quoted well over $2000 for a 20x20 stage rental closest place is nearly 75 miles away, this is a town of 2500 people our annual budget for this festival is around $7500 that includes hiring entertainment, carnival, and all other expenses required, I know many here don't understand how these extremely small town events work, for any local business to donate $2000 for stage is a huge amount of money the cost of lumber split between the two local lumber yards in much less

If you can't get the rental donated by a staging company, consider building cubes to support your platform. Simple 2x4 construction cubes made to the desired height can be used as corner supports on 4x8 sections (framed plywood). Good & sturdy and breaks down to store.
Excellent suggestion, but appears to lack the height adjustability Tunes requires. That requirement adds more complication, expense, and risk, IMO. If Tunes could live without the adjustable height, the wood cube construction would be the best way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
Excellent suggestion, but appears to lack the height adjustability Tunes requires. That requirement adds more complication, expense, and risk, IMO. If Tunes could live without the adjustable height, the wood cube construction would be the best way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
un fortunately the only location for the stage is on a slight grade

So with all the threads posted about this, what would be the plan if there is a failure? Who would accept the liability and risk?

Tunes, I'm hearing you, you just want to get it done. You should take a moment to at least consider the legal aspect. That said, I've seen people use flatbed trailers as 'stages' - would that suffice?

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
So with all the threads posted about this, what would be the plan if there is a failure? Who would accept the liability and risk?

Tunes, I'm hearing you, you just want to get it done. You should take a moment to at least consider the legal aspect. That said, I've seen people use flatbed trailers as 'stages' - would that suffice?
no way to get the truck and trailer to the location, this was considered and even attempted

...I've seen people use flatbed trailers as 'stages' - would that suffice?
The flatbed trailer is something I thought of as well, but fails to meet some of the criteria: 20'x20' (would require 2 trailers); height adjustable (would require leveling jacks); and vendors donating wood for the build (they would have to be willing to donate cash for the purchase instead). Then you have the issue of where do you store two 20' flatbed trailers securely when not in use? Lot's of issues with this alternative!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
The flatbed trailer is something I thought of as well, but fails to meet some of the criteria: 20'x20' (would require 2 trailers; height adjustable (would require leveling jacks); and vendors donating wood for the build (they would have to be willing to donate cash for the purchase instead). Then you have the issue of where do you store two 20' flatbed trailers securely when not in use? Lot's of issues with this alternative!

Agreed - but if someone had them, like a lumber yard, they could be donated for temporary use. From the trailer aspect, you could also use a few small utility / landscape type trailers put up against each other.