I really want order a Macbook Pro

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I just did a google search for a Macbook pro 17". I saw it listed several. Not new of course but they are out there. My big question is why a Macbook? Some people swear by a Macbook pro. What is the big deal? My main laptop is a lenovo and it's working just fine. Minus what I've done to it over time. I run VDJ and all is well. Some like that people will recognize the symbol and know you're using a Macbook. Big deal to me. They to me are over priced laptops. To each his own though. Use what makes you happy. If it makes you happy having an over priced laptop to DJ with, go for it.

Better .. not in my opionion .. though Apple makes solid hardware and OSX is stable as well. They tend to cost double what a similar spec'ed Windows laptop would cost. If you want style and the supposed panache of an Apple, then it may be better TO YOU. I find the lower price better FOR ME.

Sort of like asking if BOSE is better ... :)
You said it the best for me. I'm mad I didn't read your post before making the one I just did.

I not sure if I should ask this lol, but is a Mac Book better for deejaying than a PC?

(not considering getting one, just curious)
Like everyone else has said, it all comes down to personal preference. Mac are very stable and rarely crash. Viruses are pretty much nonexistent as well in them. I've had 3 for over 10 years and not one of them has crashed or had antivirus on them. Another thing I like is that software updates (both minor and major) are always free. There is not a charge to upgrade to the latest. Unlike Windows who half the time wants you to pay to upgrade to Vista, XP, 10, etc.
Boot camp allows you to run windows and apple software on them if you need both.

Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ
Only YOU can decide what is better for YOU. Some like PC, while others like Mac. It's ALL personal preference.

A few things to consider; the majority of PC users know their devices are vulnerable to malware and viruses.

First of all, they don't cost double. The rule of thumb is that a similar Mac machine will cost you $100-$300 more than a comparable PC. No where near double the cost. But, compare repair frequencies posted by all manufacturer and see which is more reliable. The facts are there and published by each manufacturer. The results are interesting, to say the least.

In years past, PCs were known to crash, and users would get the “blue screen,” but Microsoft has made their operating systems more reliable in recent years. On the other hand, Mac hardware and software have tended to be stable, and crashes occur infrequently.

Unlike with a PC, a Mac can also run Windows. If you want to have a combination Mac and PC, a Mac is your best option.

In the end, the choice comes down to personal preference. Due to price and availability, PCs tend to be the winner, while Macs remain the choice for the more elite or anti-Microsoft computer users. Good thing that our brides don't shop by price alone...

Like everyone else has said, it all comes down to personal preference. Mac are very stable and rarely crash. Viruses are pretty much nonexistent as well in them. I've had 3 for over 10 years and not one of them has crashed or had antivirus on them. Another thing I like is that software updates (both minor and major) are always free. There is not a charge to upgrade to the latest. Unlike Windows who half the time wants you to pay to upgrade to Vista, XP, 10, etc.
Boot camp allows you to run windows and apple software on them if you need both.

Thanks guys, I was just curious if there was an advantage with Mac for DJ use.

My big question is why a Macbook? Some people swear by a Macbook pro. What is the big deal? My main laptop is a lenovo and it's working just fine. Minus what I've done to it over time. I run VDJ and all is well. Some like that people will recognize the symbol and know you're using a Macbook. Big deal to me. They to me are over priced laptops. To each his own though. Use what makes you happy. If it makes you happy having an over priced laptop to DJ with, go for it.

My big question is WHY NOT a Macbook? Because it cost more? It also has MUCH better reliability ratings, much more stable OS, no viruses or malaware, fewer crashes, no driver conflicts, no blue screens. If your only justification is price, well, that is kind of interesting when we ALL hope that brides don't hire the cheapest dj. We want them to hire the best.

Simply put, it's a proven fact that Apple remains the top brand for the seventh year in a row, thanks to its combination of best-in-class laptops and industry-leading tech support. (Based on user reviews, tech support, design, warranty, software and innovation. The ONLY category where PC won was value. I would hate to be known as the "value dj" to my brides.

But again, I choose Mac because I like it. I choose it because of its reliability. I know of NO dj's who choose it because of the logo. I have heard WAY too many horror stories about drivers and blue screens and windows 10 upgrading mid-event and there is not a darn thing you can do about it but wait until its done.

In the past 12 years of using Mac, I have not had a single skip, shutdown, driver problem, crash, etc. in any of the Macs I have used or have ever sold. And I sell a ton of them. Not one. I am sure some of you have the same luck with PC, so that's great. I am willing to INVEST in something I feel will give me more piece of mind at a wedding. I am not buying GLI speakers, so why would I buy an entry level laptop. I try to use the best I can afford and so should you.

Don't let me or anyone else talk you out of or into what YOU choose to use. This is a very personal choice and only you can decide what is best for you. But the facts are there which system is more reliable. But seriously, leave the price factor out of it. We ask the brides to do it, so why shouldn't we.

Better .. not in my opionion .. though Apple makes solid hardware and OSX is stable as well. They tend to cost double what a similar spec'ed Windows laptop would cost. If you want style and the supposed panache of an Apple, then it may be better TO YOU. I find the lower price better FOR ME.

For DJing it is no real difference it takes so little power to run DJ software you could use most on a 15 year old computer with no trouble

A few things to consider; the majority of PC users know their devices are vulnerable to malware and viruses.

First of all, they don't cost double. The rule of thumb is that a similar Mac machine will cost you $100-$300 more than a comparable PC. No where near double the cost. But, compare repair frequencies posted by all manufacturer and see which is more reliable. The facts are there and published by each manufacturer. The results are interesting, to say the least.

In years past, PCs were known to crash, and users would get the “blue screen,” but Microsoft has made their operating systems more reliable in recent years. On the other hand, Mac hardware and software have tended to be stable, and crashes occur infrequently.

Unlike with a PC, a Mac can also run Windows. If you want to have a combination Mac and PC, a Mac is your best option.

In the end, the choice comes down to personal preference. Due to price and availability, PCs tend to be the winner, while Macs remain the choice for the more elite or anti-Microsoft computer users. Good thing that our brides don't shop by price alone...

Are Mac guys still using that no virus thing as a selling point? If there are no viruses why does Norton charge an Ungodly amount for anti-virus for Mac? As Mac has become mainstream in the last 5-10 years there have been many more viruses written for OS. In reality if that is your worst fear you should run Linux or Solaris

A PC can run OSX also but it would have to be done through and emulator. There are many out there I've tried a few just for my own entertainment but I haven't found one that runs really well but it can be done

There are many things that Mac does better than PC, for example video editing, but for DJing it really makes no difference

Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ

Although the best performing Windows laptop is what? A Macbook Pro.

;)

Reactions: Jeff Romard
For DJing it is no real difference it takes so little power to run DJ software you could use most on a 15 year old computer with no trouble

Are Mac guys still using that no virus thing as a selling point? If there are no viruses why does Norton charge an Ungodly amount for anti-virus for Mac? As Mac has become mainstream in the last 5-10 years there have been many more viruses written for OS. In reality if that is your worst fear you should run Linux or Solaris

A PC can run OSX also but it would have to be done through and emulator. There are many out there I've tried a few just for my own entertainment but I haven't found one that runs really well but it can be done

There are many things that Mac does better than PC, for example video editing, but for DJing it really makes no difference

Ever tried running Norton on a Mac? Oh GOD!! Might as well toss it in the trash! Norton does NOT work on a Mac. Heck, I can't stand Norton on a MS machine. That said, there are some nice A/V programs for Mac if you want to be protected. Mac's don't have anywhere near the virus issue that MS does - that is the truth. Are there more now than there were 10 years ago? Absolutely - and if you run a Mac as most people run MS machines, they are still vulnerable but still nowhere AS vulnerable. Why you ask?

Most MS users buy their machines, take them home and start using them right away. This IS where a big problem is created. MS asks you to create an account and password. That account has full Admin privileges (Root access). This becomes their normal everyday user account. Mac asks you to create a Root password - immediately followed by, create your user account. Even if you create an Admin level account, you do not have Root access. You CANNOT use Root. It doesn't show up in any form. You have to purposely activate Root. This provides a built in protection from ALOT of viruses.

Another huge bonus on Apple, you can move whatever App you want to wherever you want and name it whatever you want - and it will still work. You can also have multiple versions of the same software - example, I have the last 3 versions of Serato Itch loaded - and can use them all. Try that on a MS platform. When I delete something, it's gone - completely gone. There are no remnants left on the system to slow it down or leave it vulnerable (Registry).

Last edited:
That could be one thing that would make me want to get a Mac, ive tired a lot of video editing software for PC's and none really blew my socks off

Ever tried running Norton on a Mac? Oh GOD!! Might as well toss it in the trash! That said, there are some nice A/V programs for Mac if you want to be protected. Mac's don't have anywhere near the virus issue that MS does - that is the truth. Are there more now than there were 10 years ago? Absolutely - and if you run a Mac as most people run MS machines, they are still vulnerable but still nowhere AS vulnerable. Why you ask?

Most MS users buy their machines, take them home and start using them right away. This IS where a big problem is created. MS asks you to create an account and password. That account has full Admin privileges (Root access). This becomes their normal everyday user account. Mac asks you to create a Root password - immediately followed by, create your user account. Even if you create an Admin level account, you do not have Root access. You CANNOT use Root. It doesn't show up in any form. You have to purposely activate Root. This provides a built in protection from ALOT of viruses.

Another huge bonus on Apple, you can move whatever App you want to wherever you want and name it whatever you want - and it will still work. You can also have multiple versions of the same software - example, I have the last 3 versions of Serato Itch loaded - and can use them all. Try that on a MS platform. When I delete something, it's gone - completely gone. There are no remnants left on the system to slow it down or leave it vulnerable (Registry).

Tig I agree with you it just drives me nuts when someone says Macs don't get viruses. It leads to a false sense of security in less knowledgeable users. There are a lot of great features in a Mac but for the basics of what we do there isn't much difference if any. In reality if you are using it for a DJ machine it shouldn't be on the internet anyway (although I have broken that rule myself)

Actually I have had 2 versions of MixMeister pro running on a windows box and could use both. I don't know about other software I haven't tried it other than that

I haven't had a Windows laptop crash in 15+ years. I haven't had a virus in a long time. Macbooks are NOT immune to viruses.

An i7, 8Gb, 1Tb MacBook Pro without Retina (as the Retina displays are much more expensive) .. is $1399 according to the Apple website.

An i7, 8Gb, 1Tb Touchscreen Dell Inspiron 15 5000 is $699 at Costco .. I'd say that's half.

My big question is WHY NOT a Macbook? Because it cost more? It also has MUCH better reliability ratings, much more stable OS, no viruses or malaware, fewer crashes, no driver conflicts, no blue screens. If your only justification is price, well, that is kind of interesting when we ALL hope that brides don't hire the cheapest dj. We want them to hire the best.

Simply put, it's a proven fact that Apple remains the top brand for the seventh year in a row, thanks to its combination of best-in-class laptops and industry-leading tech support. (Based on user reviews, tech support, design, warranty, software and innovation. The ONLY category where PC won was value. I would hate to be known as the "value dj" to my brides.

But again, I choose Mac because I like it. I choose it because of its reliability. I know of NO dj's who choose it because of the logo. I have heard WAY too many horror stories about drivers and blue screens and windows 10 upgrading mid-event and there is not a darn thing you can do about it but wait until its done.

In the past 12 years of using Mac, I have not had a single skip, shutdown, driver problem, crash, etc. in any of the Macs I have used or have ever sold. And I sell a ton of them. Not one. I am sure some of you have the same luck with PC, so that's great. I am willing to INVEST in something I feel will give me more piece of mind at a wedding. I am not buying GLI speakers, so why would I buy an entry level laptop. I try to use the best I can afford and so should you.

Don't let me or anyone else talk you out of or into what YOU choose to use. This is a very personal choice and only you can decide what is best for you. But the facts are there which system is more reliable. But seriously, leave the price factor out of it. We ask the brides to do it, so why shouldn't we.
Good for you. My Lenovo works great for me. Only 2 issues with mine. I cracked the screen once and it had to be replace. The other issue is the port for the power cord got damaged and had to be fixed so the power supply would stay in. Other than me causing damage mine works fine. No issues with it upgrading automatically while DJing. It let's you know at start up when it is to upgrade and it's done in a few moments.

To each his own. As for the logo thing, I was talking about people at an event you're the DJ. They recognize you're using a Macbook laptop.

That could be one thing that would make me want to get a Mac, ive tired a lot of video editing software for PC's and none really blew my socks off
It's really about the machine used to do video with. You must have enough processor speed, ram and I would say at least a i5 to for showing videos. I learned years ago about using the proper machine for DJ software. If you don't have enough gigs your program will run super slow, keep skipping and load extra slow.

I love mac and other apple products. I'm typing this on an imac. But for DJing I've been using windows laptops for 12 years. I'm very comfortable using my imac at home for DAW recording, movie and photo editing and surfing the net. Like windoze, the OS has to be upgraded every once in a while, or buy a newer model when it's time. I've had a G3, G4 and this imac is from late 2009.

You can also have multiple versions of the same software - example, I have the last 3 versions of Serato Itch loaded - and can use them all. Try that on a MS platform.

I did. Two PC laptops. Each has three versions of Serato DJ - 1.7.8, 1.8.2, and 1.9.1 on one, the other has 1.7.8, 1.8.2, and 1.9.2 Beta. All work well.

Gang, they're just stupid computers running O's and 1's.

It's really about the machine used to do video with. You must have enough processor speed, ram and I would say at least a i5 to for showing videos. I learned years ago about using the proper machine for DJ software. If you don't have enough gigs your program will run super slow, keep skipping and load extra slow.
Right, and the issue wasn't with my machine, it was that I didnt like the ones that I tried, my laptop has an i5, and maxed ram at 8

I did. Two PC laptops. Each has three versions of Serato DJ - 1.7.8, 1.8.2, and 1.9.1 on one, the other has 1.7.8, 1.8.2, and 1.9.2 Beta. All work well.

Gang, they're just stupid computers running O's and 1's.

They are 0's and 1's - but it has alot to do with how something is written and what it depends on. Alot of the issues I'm speaking of have more to do with the registry. Some Apps can't be installed more than once. Maybe they changed something with Serato DJ, but Itch wouldn't do it on XP or 7 for me.

Let's see you try multiple versions of Office or Adobe or any of these that write to and need the Registry.

Also, removal - that's a big issue on MS platforms. And forget drag and drop Apps from one location to another - that will never work on a MS machine, unless it is completely self reliant.

I haven't had a Windows laptop crash in 15+ years. I haven't had a virus in a long time. Macbooks are NOT immune to viruses.

An i7, 8Gb, 1Tb MacBook Pro without Retina (as the Retina displays are much more expensive) .. is $1399 according to the Apple website.

An i7, 8Gb, 1Tb Touchscreen Dell Inspiron 15 5000 is $699 at Costco .. I'd say that's half.

An i7, 8GB, 1TB quality grade PC with no crapware cost a pretty nice penny too. ;). The crapware subsidizes some of the cost.