I really want order a Macbook Pro

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I might have better odds if I played..................

Anyways, I do have a CD player still, and it sort of works, thats as far back as I am willing to go , much respect to vinyl, but I want no part of it.

C'mon you'd love the milk crates of records especially in places there are stairs ;)

Reactions: ittigger
I have 2 2TB portable HD's. One is a Seagate and the other is a WD. Both work fine. It's amazing how far things have come for a DJ to provide music for an event. First came records and then CD'S. Now you can easily have 50-100th songs on a HD. Plus the price for these HD's have come down drastically. What's next besides having music on a flash drive.?

The first real computer I had was a used 166 with Win 98. around 98 or 99. I upgraded to ME and started using MM on it toying around. I upgraded to a K62-500 next I thought I would never need any more than this lol. Amazing how lightening fast can seem so slow now

I'm thinking you mean a 166MHz (Pentium class)?

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Yes that's the beast

The cloud. Online storage such as dropbox, icloud etc. Hard drives will probably become obsolete in the near future.

I agree that the 'cloud' will become used more in the future (although a majority is here already). I don't see hard drive's going anywhere anytime soon. Regardless of where data is stored, it is on a hard disk of some type (and in the cloud, it's definitely backed up - from a security aspect, also available to whoever has privileges to those storage locations). Personally, I'd rather store my own data with me and not on the cloud.

Technology still has a long way to go outside of a metropolitan area - there are still tons of locations (even in a metro area) where you can't get a signal (for various reasons), and the cloud is meaningless if you can't access it.

I hope it's the cloud .. that's what keeps me employed. :)

Personally, I'd rather store my own data with me and not on the cloud.
Me too. Dropbox has been a great way to transfer files which has made flash drives less needed, but I trust backups to multiple personal hard drives at this point.

What's really becoming obsolete is burning CDs and DVDs. I don't burn discs very often compared to what I did 5 or 6 years ago.

I like my 2 portable HD's. I don't have to worry about viruses or any other issues so long as I don't do something to damage them. They both work very well. It only takes a few seconds to open either one using VDJ.

I used to use CD'S and never saw myself becoming a computer DJ. Now you couldn't pay me to go back to using CD'S.

Me too. Dropbox has been a great way to transfer files which has made flash drives less needed, but I trust backups to multiple personal hard drives at this point.

What's really becoming obsolete is burning CDs and DVDs. I don't burn discs very often compared to what I did 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't burn many discs (CD/DVD) anymore either.

I like my 2 portable HD's. I don't have to worry about viruses or any other issues so long as I don't do something to damage them. They both work very well. It only takes a few seconds to open either one using VDJ.

I used to use CD'S and never saw myself becoming a computer DJ. Now you couldn't pay me to go back to using CD'S.
you barely get paid anyway

Since we're on this subject what would you suggest a DJ buy for a laptop to DJ with in terms of price and specs?

Since we're on this subject what would you suggest a DJ buy for a laptop to DJ with in terms of price and specs?
Price should have little to do with specs are whats most important, you have to answer a few questions first and you will need some knowledge about your Dj software, what are it's minimum specs, do you do video, or karaoke, honestly most if your just running sound on Virtual DJ almost any laptop will work, heck I can run virtual DJ on an old notebook PC and it works fine I think it's got 2g of ram ans a 100 gig hard drive

Here is what I'm DJing off of, computer wise. I'm using an HP Pavilion with Beatsaudio (I do't don't know if that ADDS anything but it came on the machine). I believe this is a 2014 model. If I recall correctly (it's been a couple of years now), I paid around $500 for it.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
I was told you should use a machine with at least 4 gigs of ram so the software program does.t run slow. Myself I don't use the internal HD in any of my laptops. I get it when it comes to price. Just wanted to see what some others were going to say.