I still get butterflies in the stomache

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Galager

DJ Extraordinaire
Feb 5, 2016
I've been DJing for about 8 years. I'm pretty good and have a lot of fun. The crazy thing is I still get nervous before EVERY gig. Will I screw up? What if they don't like the music I play? But I have to do the gig because they've given me a deposit and they are depending on me. So I go... and I kill it. Crazy huh?

No not crazy. I've been a DJ for going on 29 years and sometimes I get butterflies before performing at a gig. I usually settle down after a few minutes of playing. I get the feel and do what I do.

I've always said when the butterflies quit happening it's time to quit ;)

I still get them and day of my wife calls it "giggy" I get short, I can't center on stuff at home so I just leave early, it's why I get so early at events, it is not uncommon for me to be set and ready to go with an hour or more wait time.

No different than if I have to speak in front of a crowd. I stress a lot and try to get up to the front as early as possible. Standing there helps the tension ease away a bit.

Reactions: ittigger
Butterflies at DJ Gigs...not any more, but I get slightly nervous, and often need to drink a large sip of diet pepsi or water before I start the bridal party intro. ...It seems to be a natural occurrence at this point. It is more likely when I have a disorganized set of names for the bridal party into, but I wing it, and I'm usually pretty darn good at "winging it" LOL.

....Preperation, and practice is KEY to our business. ...At least for weddings and mitzvahs!

I get worried when my wife yells my name from the other room...Not sure why, but I've been married for over 6 years, and the feeling is still the same.

My wife screamed my name just 2 days ago when my 7 yr old son decided to leave our yard playing outside in the snow, and walk down the street without telling anybody. ...We were walking around the house screaming his name. ...He decided to just walk off with his little shovel and shovel out neighbors sidewalks...100+ yards away and not come in and tell us. I was on a phone call with my bro when she started screaming. ...Crazy. Turned out to be no big deal. ...Now I am contemplating buying a GPS tracking device and putting it in my son's jacket so I can look his location up on the phone, LOL. ...Sad. Can't let them out of your site in this crazy world...was so different years ago. ...I might as well just buy the device, LOL. ...Better safe than sorry. You gotta watch these kids like HAWKS today!

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I like to have at least 30 minutes before start time to relax and unwind. Just fool around with some songs before getting to work.

30 years and I still get them as well.
Not from performing in front of a crowd, I've always been comfortable with that.
My butterflies come from the need to check and double-check everything to make sure I'm ready.
And as most have already said...that "nervous energy" is what keeps me on my game.

I really can't say that I suffer butterflies any more on DJ gigs. Getting less so on photography jobs as well. I see nothing wrong with it and the phrase "a full dog won't hunt" comes to mind. In my own case, I've started to realize that if I let myself get uptight, I'm worn down a LOT more at the end of the night. Consequently, I make a conscious decision to NOT get nervous. I know what I'm doing. I'm not flying in at the last second. Just focus in, get the job done well, then cash the check.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
I don't get it Mix. Why on earth do you need 30 minutes to relax and unwind when you are just going to watch your BUDDY play music at the gig you booked?

Funny, I never thought of that - good question. That said, even when I have been on a multi-staffed event,I still get them.

I'm always a bit nervous at every wedding ... I think it makes me better. I'm generally confident I know what I'm doing, but there's always this part of me that wants to make sure my A-game is on and that I'm concentrating and not getting lax with my responsibilities to my client.

I do ok at that - but i've seen it screwed up soooo many times...
Last august the two women DJs..the one that was on the mic the most sucked. Sounded bad, mis pronounced names, announced the grooms parents twice...second time after the third bridal party couple...
the venue manager told them twice to turn up the music - it was at cocktail level for the first and parent dances...

I had my software lock up as i loaded the father / daughter song...restart, reboot...nothing would work. ran itunes the rest of the night - but to have all 150 people staring at me for 5 minutes (or 2 or 200...felt like 200), I don't sweat it much after that - and still got great reviews.

I had my software lock up as i loaded the father / daughter song...restart, reboot...nothing would work. ran itunes the rest of the night - but to have all 150 people staring at me for 5 minutes (or 2 or 200...felt like 200), I don't sweat it much after that - and still got great reviews.

This is why I have two laptops running, both with identical lists of the major songs on them. I've only had a machine die a couple of times but it's enough to have a backup unit loaded and ready to push play on.

Reactions: ittigger