I'm in the market for a new set of speakers

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Hmm..you might have convinced me to consider the bose..as a main system i'm not a fan - too wide a dispersion pattern for me, but for this use - would be perfect.

1000% agree. I like focused sound for dancing so the whole room isn't loud. But for ceremonies, cocktails and fill sound... these are ideal. Especially for weddings where the aesthetic is really important.

Have you looked at the Yorkville Parasource? They sounded pretty nice in the limited time I listened .. not sure if they are a better value being from Canada.

I had looked at the Parasource a couple of years ago. I never did get around to taking them out I think I will soon though

I was in my local L&M today and had a look and a quick listen to the Parasource line. They have a sweet sound in store and they spec out really well. They are a little heavier than I want but I can work with that. I was going to take a pair out this weekend but they are all booked for a festival going on. It would have been a good weekend for it I'm playing the largest ballroom in the area Saturday night.

While I was there the guy that works there mentioned he picked up a couple of Mackie Thumps. He runs a sound reinforcement company he uses them for monitors for the drums. Quite light and reasonably powerful. From what I see online they are ok. I doubt I will go that route but I suppose it's an option

Reactions: steve149
Hmm..you might have convinced me to consider the bose..as a main system i'm not a fan - too wide a dispersion pattern for me, but for this use - would be perfect.
Also throw in the JBL EON One, RCF EVOX 5, and the HK Lucas Nanos as other options.

I was in my local L&M today and had a look and a quick listen to the Parasource line. They have a sweet sound in store and they spec out really well. They are a little heavier than I want but I can work with that. I was going to take a pair out this weekend but they are all booked for a festival going on. It would have been a good weekend for it I'm playing the largest ballroom in the area Saturday night.

While I was there the guy that works there mentioned he picked up a couple of Mackie Thumps. He runs a sound reinforcement company he uses them for monitors for the drums. Quite light and reasonably powerful. From what I see online they are ok. I doubt I will go that route but I suppose it's an option
The Thumps just don't sound right when they get going. They seem to have a lack of upper end .. at least the ones I've heard. Depending on Canadian pricing, Turbosound might be another option.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
do you have a ceremony system?
When I need 4 (usually outdoors) I use my old passive boxes (PR12/15 peavey's).
Haven't set up 4 inside, but my mains are yamaha DXR12 and my ceremony is a Yamaha Stagepas 600 -10" passive with a powered mixer..could easily do extra duty.

How do you plan to get sound to the remote speakers?

i researched sennheiser wireless setup system, but too much $$..so will run cable to one and daisy chain. I have the stagepas too, small one, not a great speaker setup but good idea, will test it out, if its only handful of gigs a year and this works, i am set.
I use Bose L1Cs for this. I literally just wrote a blog post about this very topic: The Volume at Weddings | Too Loud vs. Can't Hear

good read, but u r on spot with ..'can't hear vs too loud', exactly the issue. Will check this out

Reactions: Albatross
The Thumps just don't sound right when they get going. They seem to have a lack of upper end .. at least the ones I've heard. Depending on Canadian pricing, Turbosound might be another option.

I have heard Turbosound a few years back if I recall they were ok sounding. I've used Mackie before but it's been years and I've never heard the Thumps specifically. There's the thought that if I can buy 2 for the price of 1 NX55 I don't really want them as mains. Might be something to look at to have hanging around for back of room fill or something. They are very light. The 15's are something like 33 Lbs and the 12's even lighter

I have heard Turbosound a few years back if I recall they were ok sounding. I've used Mackie before but it's been years and I've never heard the Thumps specifically. There's the thought that if I can buy 2 for the price of 1 NX55 I don't really want them as mains. Might be something to look at to have hanging around for back of room fill or something. They are very light. The 15's are something like 33 Lbs and the 12's even lighter
The Thumps were like a lower end version of the SRM450 (though I think they had a 15" version as well). The Thump 12 can be had for $219, the 15" for $255 (plus shipping) .. at least here in the US of soon to be Anarchy.

i researched sennheiser wireless setup system, but too much $$..so will run cable to one and daisy chain. I have the stagepas too, small one, not a great speaker setup but good idea, will test it out, if its only handful of gigs a year and this works, i am set.

tested out my stagepas 300, that will fix my problem. damn those old yammys are so heavy even passive.

1000% agree. I like focused sound for dancing so the whole room isn't loud. But for ceremonies, cocktails and fill sound... these are ideal. Especially for weddings where the aesthetic is really important.
Love the compacts for ceremonies/cocktail hour/ fill

But the l1M2 has been a mainstay for our wedding receptions for 8 yrs now.

My TS215s have been used on maybe 7 weddings so far. My Alto TS212s have been used at 2 gigs. So far they have been perfect!

Ricky, I found your TS212 / DBR10 shootout video. Let's exclude price for the moment... if someone were to offer you either a free TS212 or a free DBR10, which would you take and why?

Ricky, I found your TS212 / DBR10 shootout video. Let's exclude price for the moment... if someone were to offer you either a free TS212 or a free DBR10, which would you take and why?

Well, if I didn't have either one yet, I would go with the TS212. The TS212s as a pair will handle pretty much any normal event in terms of bass, and volume. I can bring a pair of them out and do a 100 person wedding without a sub if I want to.

The DBR10s NEED a SUB if you are going to do any real party above 60 guests

The only reason I would take the DBR10 over the TS212 is if I were looking for a small speaker for cocktail hour/ceremonies. I really wish the DBR10 had a side handle bar on it though.

Reactions: DJKLEEN
There's a rare occasion... maybe twice a year... where I need more than the 4 speakers I currently have (Pair of RCF HD12a and pair of QSC K12). One is coming up on October 17th, where I need to cover 3 rooms plus a lobby.

I could rent, of course, but I found a pair of TS212's refurb for under $450. WhIle I have no plans to use these as mains, I also want something decent sounding and reasonably reliable. Sounds like these might be the ticket for 3-4 times per year duty or perhaps smaller events where I want lightweight load-in.

There's a rare occasion... maybe twice a year... where I need more than the 4 speakers I currently have (Pair of RCF HD12a and pair of QSC K12). One is coming up on October 17th, where I need to cover 3 rooms plus a lobby.

I could rent, of course, but I found a pair of TS212's refurb for under $450. WhIle I have no plans to use these as mains, I also want something decent sounding and reasonably reliable. Sounds like these might be the ticket for 3-4 times per year duty or perhaps smaller events where I want lightweight load-in.
this was probably shared out somewhere here, but i ran into this video the other day
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH44y-hzt7c

That was basically the same reason I bought a pair of EV ZLX 12s fairly recently. I'll admit, I didn't even look at Altos. I don't know anything about the brand, and they weren't on my radar at all. They may be a very quality speaker for the money. But I compared the EVs to JBL Eons and the EV was hands down the better speaker. Altos look like a nice choice for this type of use.

this was probably shared out somewhere here, but i ran into this video the other day
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH44y-hzt7c
Yup that's the video I was referring to!

I actually had the ZLX12p's previously. I sold them to get some money towards my RCF's. I'm wishing I had just kept them... however, whenever I tried to plug mics in for ceremonies etc, I had to crank the channel gain all the way up to get decent volume.