I'm worried about people tripping on legs of tripods.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Funny how 24" wide people think they can fit in a 12" gap???[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could only wish most of them were limited to 24" .. :)

Since many of my gigs were of the bar karaoke variety, I was/am VERY careful with the legs, since 90%+ of the people who sing are drunk (or on their way) AND they walk around my gear to get to the mic .. so I try REALLY hard to minimize any issue that could cause me pain (and $$s). I try to tuck everything in inaccessible corners (thankfully bars tend to have those) .. but drunk people tend to find a way. I used to leave a 12" gap between my karaoke rack and my floor monitor .. until people would attempt to walk between them.

Have you thought of using a skrim? I am considering it since it will be easier to see it, even a black one, than a low lying tripod leg.

Have you thought of using a skrim? I am considering it since it will be easier to see it, even a black one, than a low lying tripod leg.
I don't do weddings and don't like the look of skrims .. at least the ones I've seen. With the new EVOX 8 I got last year, I'm able to condense things and eliminate the tripods (tops mount on sub poles) for other than lights.

Reactions: ittigger
Are you deaf?
I can't imagine why you'd want to set yourself in front of your own speakers.
Also, sound level drops with distance - I want my speakers close to the dance floor.

Behind the speakers I can talk to people - my help, take requests, etc.

I don't use subs all that often, but my speakers are, if possible, set up behind me in a safe zone, even close to the back wall. My light tree "Gig Bar" is 90% of the time right behind me,,, when I do have to set it up to the side, I try to set it back as far as I can.

Speakers and lights don't need to be right next to the dance floor to work. They both have throw, use it. Here is a pic or two. The last pic was a bit scary for the speaker on the left, but it really wasn't that bad there.

+2

Its of my opinion that the skrims call more attention to that area then without them, and makes the speakers stand out more, now , not saying I wont ever use them( dont have any) , but if I do , I think I like the idea of lighting them up maybe, like Ice does.

+2

Its of my opinion that the skrims call more attention to that area then without them, and makes the speakers stand out more, now , not saying I wont ever use them( dont have any) , but if I do , I think I like the idea of lighting them up maybe, like Ice does.

To me the Scrims on Speaker Stands look like Giant Tee Pees next to the DJ Table

I don't look at them as adding Elegance or a Wow Factor. I have a negative view of scrims.

if I'm going to use speaker stand covers, I would prefer the ruffled look of Ultimate Stand Covers or Table Topper Speaker Stand Covers.

Personally, I don't think the brides/grooms care whether or not speaker stands have covers on them or not. And the covers aren't fetching you more money. It's simply an added touch that adds to your set up and tear down time. I was using Covers for a while, and I decided to stop bothering with them.

Two up lights placed behind the DJ table beating to the music and washing the wall makes for a better effect than under the speaker and behind a Scrim.

Reactions: Galager
The fact is I bring this up because I DID have an incident where I was NOT able to put my light stand out of the way and I DID have two people trip but neither fell (thank goodness). There have multiple times where either kids running around, drunk adults, poor lighting (like THAT never happens at a dance!), or limited space have all contributed at one time or another to me seeing someone stumble on a leg of either a speaker stand or lighting stand. I do try to place my gear as far out of the way as possible but sometimes that is not enough. I wanted to get some constructive ideas on what other might do. Hence the reason for the OP.

I don't know, maybe you just aren't as observant as I am. :dontknow:

If you are worried about Speaker Stands being the cause of a lawsuit, then the only real solution is to go with a BOSE Set Up. Keep the Bass Cabs on the side of each table, and those sticks there.

Of course someone could still trip over that too, but less likely since a stand leg isn't protruding in any single direction. EVOX System would be the next best bet, but I do believe those subs take up a bit more foot print than Bose.

Honestly, can anybody bring up link to any case where a DJ was sued because of someone tripping over a speaker stand? I'm confident it's never happened, and if it did, the law suit would go no where. Now if someone pushed a speaker stand over, and it was close enough to a table to where it fell on a guest...I can see a DJ potentially being sued over that. ...Which is why you have Liability Insurance.

We have turned into a sue happy society , and people seem to sue of the dumbest f*#king things , so someone tripping over a tripod leg and suing is something I could see happening, people want that fast payday, suing is the way to get it.

The Bose set up is one, or the top over sub is another way to eliminate the use of stands, then that leaves the lighting stands, can go the totem route , or trussing.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
If you are worried about Speaker Stands being the cause of a lawsuit, then the only real solution is to go with a BOSE Set Up. Keep the Bass Cabs on the side of each table, and those sticks there.

Of course someone could still trip over that too, but less likely since a stand leg isn't protruding in any single direction. EVOX System would be the next best bet, but I do believe those subs take up a bit more foot print than Bose.

Honestly, can anybody bring up link to any case where a DJ was sued because of someone tripping over a speaker stand? I'm confident it's never happened, and if it did, the law suit would go no where. Now if someone pushed a speaker stand over, and it was close enough to a table to where it fell on a guest...I can see a DJ potentially being sued over that. ...Which is why you have Liability Insurance.
Again .. not worried about it .. but they are the most likely culprits to cause an issue (that and wiring) so it's only prudent to at least minimize the exposure.

Again .. not worried about it .. but they are the most likely culprits to cause an issue (that and wiring) so it's only prudent to at least minimize the exposure.
Agreed, its not something I am going to lose sleep over, but enough to make an effort to minimize the chances.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't really like the look of skrims either.

Are you deaf?
Also, sound level drops with distance - I want my speakers close to the dance floor.

In the 4 or 5 feet of moving the speakers behind you, if your speakers won't be loud enough on the dance floor, may I respectfully suggest you need new speakers.

Am I deaf? Well, that is beside the point, in fact I have been deaf in my right ear since 9th grade, thank you for reminding me of my disability. But Since I mostly do weddings and while I do play it loud, I like to be able to hear my mixes better and it does help me from overly blasting the crowd as I can hear how loud it is.

At events, as time goes on, our ears get used to the sound causing us to turn it up. Ever be behind your speakers thinking how great it sounds only to run to the bathroom or bar and go "shit, that's loud!"... While volume can be an effect, it can also be very disturbing to many older guests.

Last night at my school dance I had them beside me, but I also had a EV ZLX 12 as a monitor behind me... Just personal choice really.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Thanks for the feedback. I don't really like the look of skrims either.
I don't LOVE the look of skrims, but they look OK... Personally, I think the black ones look the best with all my black gear, but they are not as helpful in reducing the trip hazard. I think white scrims with a wash light underneath makes it much less likely someone will NOT see your tripod. They may still stumble into or over it, but at least they'll see it as they fall on their a$$![emoji1]

In the 4 or 5 feet of moving the speakers behind you, if your speakers won't be loud enough on the dance floor, may I respectfully suggest you need new speakers....
Last night at my school dance I had them beside me, but I also had a EV ZLX 12 as a monitor behind me... Just personal choice really.
I don't put my speakers behind me because I think it helps with feedback prevention to have them slightly in front of my microphone location, and I think it's normally a bit loud. I do use two monitors, but I can adjust the volume up or down at various times and it has no impact on the audience. I really don't need two monitors, but I have this OCD thing where I prefer symmetry.[emoji1] We all have our disabilities I guess.[emoji4] You don't look deaf, Chuck.[emoji1]

Last edited:
Are you deaf?

I do this at a lot of the smaller venues I play.
It keeps the legs safe from the guests AND the servers...
and it really gives a more appealing look.
But, as I said, these venues are smaller, so no cranking is necessary.
(I also skew the speakers away from the center, and EQ the mix so it doesn't feedback)

IMG_3415.JPG

Back when I used to use tri-pods, I always had the 3rd leg facing straight back and I placed my subs in between the other two legs towards the dance floor. That always protected the legs from people.

Reactions: Andy A and steve149