In Anticipation Of L1 vs. F1 Questions and Comparisons

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Thanks for doing the videos.

So 2 tops, 2 subs...$4800

I like the narrower dispersion.

But one of the selling points of the bose was small, light and easy to transport. The F1 loses that at 46lb top and 55lb sub (x2). But I guess it depends on what it's compared to.

Based on the video (and my computer speakers) the F1 top doesn't do it for me. Sounds muffled compared to the L1.

May be different in person - I'm not a fan of the L1 but like it better than the F1 in the vid.

Reactions: Cap Capello
I heard the F1 at a GC here in Atlanta; it was in their showroom corner-loaded. I compared it to a JBL SRX835P, which was not corner loaded. In this particular situation, the Bose F1 honestly sounded better. It was way more full and had better low end (ie: just a very pleasant full-range sound to the ear). The top wasn't arrayed either but we tried both ways, arching the driver positions and running them flat. The SRX835P is an absolute beast for an MI-level powered speaker and I know it gets hella loud and clear.

Now I will say, this was in no way a fair or proper comparison because I only had the rep take the SRX out of external sub mode and go into full-range mode; I didn't even check the other settings. Because of the display, the SRX was sort of flown several feet off the ground and we did not run either speaker into peak.

As far as the F1, it was plenty loud and did not show any signs of peaking or bottoming out. A fair comparison would have been having both speakers in the same proximity, on the floor and having the gain structure sorted out. I would have then positioned myself for optimal listening. Another caveat is I only ran a Salsa and Reggae song through both systems. More varied music would be necessary to make a better sound observation. Overall... the F1 seems like no slouch and it wasn't even a pair playing... it was just a single unit.

My only real concern would be the unit's height being only about 6 feet with stock mounting hardware. What if you have a lot of dancefloor patrons at 6feet and taller?

Okay. A reply.

Based on every video in the series, it says to use headphones.

106 lbs for 2,000 watts of power at 132db SPL?

The F1-812 is a "Flexible" Line Array. Adjust the the line array to the reverse J position and it'll handle your 8' tall basketball player prom. If it still seems impossible, fly the F1-812 on a tripod 8' in the air, use the bottom J position, and you still have it covered.

Homemade, using left over product from ProWood Products, a long defunct company that had access to the most amazing light weight carbon-poly 4' x 2' panels, flexible rubber hi8nges, and double U-channel connectors; all which went bye bye when the owner had a heart attack and nothing was passed on.

His name was Steve and was an amazingly brilliant entrepreneur.

Great videos Cap. Which one do you prefer?

L1M2 w/B2 remains my flagship for 150 to 600. 600 and up, out comes the double F1 systems. I'll be using the F1-812 top on a tripod instead of the L1 Compact. I will use twin F1-812s on tripods for 150 or less simply because of the ease of setup and power, filling my perceived gap between 90 and 150 that pushes the power envelop of the Compact (IMHO)

Thanks Cap

From what I could hear on the video my ears liked the F1 system overall although the clarity of the L1 was hands down better

I had the pleasure of using an L1-B2 combo for a ceremony a couple of weeks back I wish I had more time to tinker with it. It was set for live sound and later in the evening I got to hear some of that and it was great but as for playback I wasn't happy with the sound. I know it could have been better with some better settings.

I was very impressed with the dispersion and the general throw of the L1

I have several systems hanging around so I could go big if need be but I am considering when I need to replace my Yorkville's I may go with dual L1-B1 because of the ease of carry...I know this is hard to believe but I'm not getting younger ;)

what diff will headphones make? Cancel out ambient noise? I'm in a dead quiet building, so no diff. More stereo separation? Unless you recorded it that way, no. Less bass reproduction (since my computer system has an 8" sub and headphones don't)?

watts smatts. If I replaced my passive tops with active variant I'd have 2 tops/2 subs at 3,000 w, 127 db spl, 188lb total, but at only $1900 cost.

Now the specs I've found for the bose weights is 55lb per sub and the tops at 44.5lbs each...my math says that's 199lbs. For nearly $3000 more money?

Sure, I'd suspect based on experience the bose sounds better, but A) $2900 better? and B) who's gonna know?

All I see here is a repackaging of a linear array into a more conventional looking box with some easy aiming added on. An improvement or a marketing move?

Not that there's anything wrong with htat, but to say it's the newest best thing in sound since hi-fi was invented? Not so sold on that myself.

Okay. A reply.

Based on every video in the series, it says to use headphones.

106 lbs for 2,000 watts of power at 132db SPL?

The F1-812 is a "Flexible" Line Array. Adjust the the line array to the reverse J position and it'll handle your 8' tall basketball player prom. If it still seems impossible, fly the F1-812 on a tripod 8' in the air, use the bottom J position, and you still have it covered.

Check out HK before you make a final decision. I've found them to be similar in price but more versatile and sound better.

I have several systems hanging around so I could go big if need be but I am considering when I need to replace my Yorkville's I may go with dual L1-B1 because of the ease of carry...I know this is hard to believe but I'm not getting younger ;)

Me too - I'm ready, but remember, it was really Amar who started it all -

"John Marks' concise yet comprehensive tribute to Amar Bose recognizes that no accurate portrait of him would be complete without the mention of legal proceedings, most notably his 14-year battle with Consumers Union, the group that publishes Consumer Reports, over a disparaging review of his model 901 speaker that he felt was based on bad science. Bose Corporation became the first company to beat CU in court, but the decision was reversed on appeal. Bose then took the case to the Supreme Court of the United States.

The press, fearing for its freedom, shrieked. A friend-of-the-court brief submitted to the Supreme Court carried the names of eight major media companies, including CBS, NBC, the New York Times Co. and Newsweek, apparently a knee-jerk reaction since Dr. Bose claimed a mere handful of writers had bothered to call for his side of the story.

I covered the case in an Audio magazine piece, published in December 1984 after the Supreme Court had ruled against Bose, and mentioned related matters: a 10-page lawyer's letter to a magazine called Physician's Life Style demanding redress for comments it made about the 901 in 1974; litigation to block publication of a 1976 issue of England's Hi-Fi Choice that included a Bose speaker review—Dr. Bose told me that had been instigated by U.K. management without his knowledge; and one pitting Bose's Dutch subsidiary against Consumers Union in the Netherlands (not connected to CU here)." Full credit to David Lander.

Me? I loved 901's, especially stacked 901's facing backwards (like 802's) driven by a pair of Phase Linear 700's. Dark Side of the Moon never sounded better!

Me too - I'm ready, but remember, it was really Amar who started it all -

"John Marks' concise yet comprehensive tribute to Amar Bose recognizes that no accurate portrait of him would be complete without the mention of legal proceedings, most notably his 14-year battle with Consumers Union, the group that publishes Consumer Reports, over a disparaging review of his model 901 speaker that he felt was based on bad science. Bose Corporation became the first company to beat CU in court, but the decision was reversed on appeal. Bose then took the case to the Supreme Court of the United States.

The press, fearing for its freedom, shrieked. A friend-of-the-court brief submitted to the Supreme Court carried the names of eight major media companies, including CBS, NBC, the New York Times Co. and Newsweek, apparently a knee-jerk reaction since Dr. Bose claimed a mere handful of writers had bothered to call for his side of the story.

I covered the case in an Audio magazine piece, published in December 1984 after the Supreme Court had ruled against Bose, and mentioned related matters: a 10-page lawyer's letter to a magazine called Physician's Life Style demanding redress for comments it made about the 901 in 1974; litigation to block publication of a 1976 issue of England's Hi-Fi Choice that included a Bose speaker review—Dr. Bose told me that had been instigated by U.K. management without his knowledge; and one pitting Bose's Dutch subsidiary against Consumers Union in the Netherlands (not connected to CU here)." Full credit to David Lander.

Me? I loved 901's, especially stacked 901's facing backwards (like 802's) driven by a pair of Phase Linear 700's. Dark Side of the Moon never sounded better!

I loved Audio magazine back in the 80s (I was a gear head from the early 70s). I still have a bunch of the yearly buying guides from Audio and Stereo Review from the early 80s.

901s .. not so much, though I sold a pair, along with a 701 and 301 while repping for a few wholesalers on campus in the late 70s.

Reactions: ittigger
For me, it's the L1 model 2's. Love those things. I'm hard pressed to think of a scenario where I'd return to heavy bulky speakers, regardless of the brand.

If I switched, it would be to another light system. Too many advantages for a good light weight system for the types of gigs I do. Some older halls in the Cleveland area don't have ramps, so everything needs to be lifted up stairs. I used to pay a roadie. Today, none is needed. Moving systems from a ceremony to a cocktail hour is a breeze. Tear down after being on my feet for 7-8 hours is much easier.