internet connection expectation

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I know it will catch up. I expected it and since I do a mix of things and not just weddings that has an effect on what my library needs to have.

Did a pool for a while, maybe good for edm or club work or such, but only the newest stuff. Figured if I was gonna spend $25-50/month I'd just use itunes and record stores. And my kids as they buy a lot of the newer stuff anyway.

Just seems the past couple of weeks it's a ton of new stuff - be that on itunes charts or my weddings.

Take heart, that number will go down. I ran a PrimeCuts subscription for a couple of years. That seemed to get me caught up. Now, I just buy as needed and average 2-4 tracks per gig.

Smart way to go. I've been getting PC monthly for years now and was considering going with weekly. But then, there will still be people requesting other songs and expect the DJ to have the ability to download requests. Might as well invest in a way to download songs at any event rather than paying PC for 60 songs per week.

I started out buying every "now that's what I call music" CD. Then I went with PC monthly. Next, get compilation or greatest hits CDs to cover what else is needed. Used CDs is the way to go for adding older music.

Check into idjpool's Country Pool Country DJ Pool | MP3 Record Pool – DJ Pool – MP3 Music Pool – MP3 Pool – For DJs Only – Country Music For DJs – DJ Music Subscription Service – Clean Music For DJs ... You get Top 40, Hot 100, and everything Country for $15/month.

If you're a veteran, they have a special pool ( Join | MP3 For DJs – MP3 Record Pool – DJ Pool – MP3 Music Pool – MP3 Pool – For DJs Only – Music For DJs – DJ Music Subscription Service – Clean Music For DJs ) .. you get everything they cover for $30/mo. I have the full subscription, which has a decent amount of classics in there as well. They normally keep a 2 year backlog .. up to 5+ in some genres, so you might be able to fill a lot quickly.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
My job is simply to PLAY the song. I don't care what the source is. There are bigger issues in life than a dropout or lost connection. I have no fear about dealing with either.

I now have a clause on my contract that states that we will not download any song from Youtube etc., only legitimate sources!

I don't think you need a clause in your contract for this. Simply stating it should be enough. Contracts should be for legal matters and issues that directly impact you or the customer.

There are bigger issues in life than a dropout or lost connection.

I don't disagree with the logic, but explaining to your customer that the reason the song stuttered or 1/4 of the song played and you had to restart was because wifi went down and jacked up your machine (interference, etc) - won't go over too well - my opinion of course .. or that you played some online stream and you had no idea an explicit version of some song would be played. All of that 'dead air' won't be pleasant either.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat and DJ TJ
I don't have this in my contract but was think of providing client with a sheet to go over with them after they have booked also may require an intial or signature that they have received this form

Thank you for choosing XYZ entertainment, we honored you have chosen us for your special event, in order to provide you with the best possible service we need the following information returned no later and XYZ date, please don't take this the wrong way, your day requires significant hours of planning behind the scenes to make it the day of your dreams, failure to provide the requested information by the stated date severely limits the ability of our staff to provide you with the best possible service, again please help us make your event one to remember, thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

I don't know that I'd have that as an item that has to be 'initialed'. I would go over it .. in detail - that I may or may not be able to play NEEDED songs, that the customer must identify, as they may or may not be available based upon when the customer is asking for it. You will ALWAYS have people asking for stuff too late - what matters is if you have the important needed ones.

I do not run any internet connected devices at a performance. I have a spare machine and a hot spot if the need ever arises - but even then, there are lots you cannot readily purchase online.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Anyone that is refusing to do hot downloads is just itching to lose gigs.

Not necessarily .... I do on occasion if it's a song that is requested by many, but generally I don't like to download things while gigging. Is it better to keep the party going with songs you have or risk a system 'burp' trying to get a song you don't have?

What I can do and feel more comfortable doing is to download it via my lighting computer and transfer it via usb. I also have it on usb after the event to add to my backup source as well.

I have been using content unlimited for a couple of years, I have never gotten a corrupted file or had one issue, using my phone as a wifi hotspot also download from Itunes live with no issues

Not necessarily .... I do on occasion if it's a song that is requested by many, but generally I don't like to download things while gigging. Is it better to keep the party going with songs you have or risk a system 'burp' trying to get a song you don't have?

You have to go with what you're comfortable with but, speaking only for myself, I download at practically every event and I've never once had a system "burp" on me because of a download.

We have our main system, a touchscreen showxpress system, and a third backup system that has a full copy of both the audio and lighting that is also networked to the main system and this is our reference/download computer. We use it throughout every event and can plop new files into a shared folder on the main system easily. Internet only ever on the backup system.

Sounds complicated but it all fits into one small rack nicely and gives lots of redundancy.

Sent from my mobile device.

You have to go with what you're comfortable with but, speaking only for myself, I download at practically every event and I've never once had a system "burp" on me because of a download.

I'm pretty picky on when & where I connect with my gig computer. After you lose one due to a nasty virus, you'll be cautious too. :(

this is why I always use my phones wifi hotspot

Your phones hotspot isn't as safe as you'd believe .... it's logging onto the nearest tower for access to the internet. Do you run an anti-virus on your phone? Do you scan it regularly like you would a computer? Think about this...as most have moved to phone usage to use the internet... spammers/scammers/malware & virus makers see a huge opportunity to gain access to your data/info with most users not taking proper steps to protect themselves.

Reactions: ittigger
Problem with phone wi fi hot spot is when you are in a big building with a thick cement structure, and the ball room you are in is on the lower level...good luck getting any signal.

Also if you are in the boons more than a few miles from a suburban area...good luck getting any signal to download from. I tried downloading a song while out at a very nice high end venue on the Chesapeake bay. I bad 1 bar, but was still in network...It took me over 45 minutes to download a song that they kept asking for. I did eventually download it, but the wait for me to play that song was very long. It was a very meaningful song to the bride and her friends that wasn't on the planner. That was streaming through content unlimited as well...I couldn't even load up Amazon or E music to download through there. That is how slow the connection was.

Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
Problem with phone wi fi hot spot is when you are in a big building with a thick cement structure, and the ball room you are in is on the lower level...good luck getting any signal.

Also if you are in the boons more than a few miles from a suburban area...good luck getting any signal to download from. I tried downloading a song while out at a very nice high end venue on the Chesapeake bay. I bad 1 bar, but was still in network...It took me over 45 minutes to download a song that they kept asking for. I did eventually download it, but the wait for me to play that song was very long. It was a very meaningful song to the bride and her friends that wasn't on the planner. That was streaming through content unlimited as well...I couldn't even load up Amazon or E music to download through there. That is how slow the connection was.

I feel your pain. It sucks when your connection is spotty but I'd venture a guess that I only have 4-6 gigs per year where it's either an inside room or out in the sticks. When you run into a bad area, you just have to do what you can and let it go after that. I also hear what Randy's saying about getting hit with viruses. On gigs, I generally only connect to my regular sites (email, facebook, amazon) so I've never gotten dinged. That's also where having that 2nd machine online and ready to go provides an extra measure of safety.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ

Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't. I think you have experienced 'burps' .. with the VDJ content unlimited.

In my market, it's very common to not have any Wifi or cell service for that matter- so I view them both as a luxury when I have them. I pay for a Premium Spotify subscription and will download the requested song to a playlist which will playback at a high quality. This works most of the time, even with less than stellar cell service.

Sometimes, I just have to face the fact that I may not be able to download any requests on the fly and trust that I am prepared and my library is sufficient- weird, huh??

Ice, sign up for a subscription service like Promo Only or Top Hits- it's a cost, but a necessary one, I feel. You'll never have to worry about those songs that come up that are popular but unfamiliar to you- you'll just have them! It's a huge weight lifted off of your shoulders! You'll always have to fill your library with odd stuff here and there, but like someone else said, take heart, those $20-30 weeks will pass...

Also, I feel like YouTube artists, like Silento, blow up on Youtube- so we're getting requests for stuff like Whip, Nae Nae that the subscription services and radio don't even have yet. When that blew up here, I didn't have it via Promo Only yet and had to download it from Spotify, where it was #1... I played it 3 times that night! Needless to say, it was available the next week from Promo Only!

Reactions: steve149