It came alive!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

IceBurghDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
iceburghdj.com
Playing a bit today in preparation for saturday's show at the mall - need some pop music that i'd not play at a wedding, but will need for the 'back to school' celebration.

Since I have the gorack I figured maybe i'd try the sub synth with my little 12" ELX subs under my yamaha DXR12's.

Now that's not much sub..but at saturday's wedding the DJ there had same subs under yorkie 55 (12" tops) and it sounded pretty good...not gonna rattle the chandeliers but you dont' always want to do that...right? LOL

So with the gorack compressor, EQ4 and sub synth..wow. (tops flat, crossover / hi pass at 100hz)

We'll see how it does in the large hard space of the mall but I'm likin' it a LOT.

Reactions: ittigger
In the Hi/Fi Stereo world, these kinds of things wreck woofers. I'm sure good self-powered DJ/PA speakers have circuitry to protect the drivers, but I don't know if they are simply electrically limiting the signal or if they somehow actually monitor the drivers excursion. My gut tells me it's the former. Bottom line, don't poke the Bear!

It's nearly impossible to get teh limit lights on teh DXR's to light - it's possible but you really don't want to listen to them at that level. way too much.

teh elx subs, like my etx, seem to throw up the limit light too early. I'm TOLD that on the ETX it will shut off before you can hurt it...no plans to test that though!

Since i'll be using my old passive setup tomorrow for a wedding I set it up to verify it all works and i have all the needed cords, etc. Had the gorack in there..NICE!

Made a huge noticeable difference on the old system (pr15 speakers, mackie amp).

Not sure why so much more noticeable than on the newer speakers..yam DXR12's. I know the newer self powered ones are optimized..maybe that's teh difference?

Since i'll be using my old passive setup tomorrow for a wedding I set it up to verify it all works and i have all the needed cords, etc. Had the gorack in there..NICE!

Made a huge noticeable difference on the old system (pr15 speakers, mackie amp).

Not sure why so much more noticeable than on the newer speakers..yam DXR12's. I know the newer self powered ones are optimized..maybe that's teh difference?
yep most newer power speakers have at least some processing built into then, no such thing on an older passive set up