K12 vs DXR12 vs ELX vs EKX

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
My only audio failures have been with Behringer gear .. Yamaha subs haven't failed. Only had QSC amps .. they never failed in 6+ years.

Reactions: DJ_MJ and DJ Bobcat
argh...

the yamaha dbr gets great reviews. their powered mixers have issues and the warranty response on them isn't good (based on online googling). But hten I've had good luck with yamaha gear and did get their stagepas system. And they're the cheapest. By far with their rebate.

the k12 is 'the' speaker...can't to wrong but it's the most costly.

some folks aren't keen on the ev sound.

any other options i'm missing? I've not been impressed by the JBLs i've heard in the past.

for $150 more than the k12's I can do the top of the line dsr yamahas...pushing the budget but rarely when one buys the top of the line are they disappointed.

what to do, what to do.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
K12 was the first to hit the powered MI market hard .. and have a decent product. They are the standard. DSP technology has advanced from that time and many other boxes sound good today. The QSC factory rep told me there were plans for a version 2 of the K and KW lines and possibly even another line sometime next year. Either way, they are well known boxes and are a rental house staple.

The K12 is far from the most costly .. depends on what you compare it to. The MI market is kind of striated and there are bargains at each level. Since the best of the typical 12" top is around $1200 and the bottom stuff around the $300 mark .. any of them are affordable enough if you take a long term look at it. Depends a lot on what you need them for.

If I'm looking for a small speaking mostly system, I would think any would be fine. If I'm looking at a dance system, I'll look further up the list as you get better amps, better cab construction and other features. Since I am a closet audiophile, I like "really" good sound .. but my definition might be different from yours. To my ears, the RCF HD32a is the king of sound in that range due to their larger than normal compression driver .. and I like the overall package of the QSC KW-112 with it's wood cab. If I needed an outdoor power system, I might go with the EV ETX or the JBL SRX.

Many choices.

i've spent way too much time reading and researching...i think i'm going with the dxr12's. the dsr is tempting, it is better...but it's heavier and the price is more especially with the rebate on the dxr's and some reviews/comments prefer the dxr for DJ work the dsr for live sound.

teh kw122 gets great reviews also, teh k12 often is called harsh on the upper end when cranked.

the rcf does seem to be 'the best'... how much better? And for a lot of money (nearly double the dxr) i'm not sure i'm willing to pony up that much.

Like I said .. a lot depends on what you need .. the DXR is a nice speaker.

Now for new subs as those new DXR's might just outrun those ZX1A's.
It never ends, does it?:rolleyes:

Reactions: ittigger
no, it don't.
new subs were on my list well ahead of new tops...

i'm rebuilding a peavey 18" sub from a bandpass to a reflex..have to do the final assembly but a test run and well, it walked across my hardwood floor...

the ev's do well if crank the gain, and if they take the sub 100hz that should let the DXR's crank. To be truly balanced, in theory, you need 2 18's to work with the 12's as midrange and the tweeters still tweet. I could scratchbuild a matching peavey for $400 or so.

Reactions: DJ TJ
Well now, after finally decided on a set of tops and subs after months and months of research, bugging a few members here for some input, I know am thinking about the Yamaha's , thats a nice rebate offer right.

Love my k12 but picked up some Evox 5 and I like them as well qsc kW for the big stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another note personally go with whatever you like and can afford the yamahas I think are very nice but a brand that's got my attention right now and I'm thinking of picking up a pair is TurboSound iQ series they actually emulate other speaker brands and models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My current arsenal is Yamaha 2 DXR10's 2 DXS18's less than a year old
RCF 2 Evox 8 maybe a year and 1/2 old
Mackie 2 SRM450's Italian 12 years ????
QSC 2 HPR181i's 8 years????
I am thinking about selling the Mackie's and QSC's and buy another matching set of the DXR/DXS gear and maybe selling the evox and getting pair of DXR 8's over a pair of DXS 12's

I am really impressed with Yamaha stuff

I've always like yamaha stuff - bikes, boats, stereos, guitars, keboards, etc. Never been disappointed.

I almost got the dxs18..but i'm not a bandpass fan. I have the yamaha stagepas 600 for ceremonie's and smaller gigs and 2 ev zxa1 12" subs for use with it (or my older passive setup). Really lets those tops sing and balances them well.

The DJ i bought out had mackie S505 tops and 2 mackie 1400i amps and an old peavey sub. I'm rebuilding the sub (was going to use it as a ported, previously bandpass, till I got the school dance and just figured WTH, it's only money, go big or go home..that and the DXR12's are SOOO much louder/better than I had anticipated.). the mackie stuff is 15 years old - still works just fine.

Have to decide what to do with it...backup, second rig, sell it...it and the peavey PR12 and 15 tops I have I'll probably keep for outdoor gigs. Or if my son and his friends do start a band they'll have a PA.