Lasers

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Bassmaster84

New DJ
Jul 23, 2008
www.hotspotsdj.com
Been doing a little research on adding lasers for school dances. Even ran across the International Laser Display Association website with warnings, classes, etc.

So if you use lasers in your shows:

1. Is safety training the way to go?
2. What brands/models are proven performers?
3. Anything else I need to know (but don't) is much appreciated!

Been doing a little research on adding lasers for school dances. Even ran across the International Laser Display Association website with warnings, classes, etc.

So if you use lasers in your shows:

1. Is safety training the way to go?
2. What brands/models are proven performers?
3. Anything else I need to know (but don't) is much appreciated!

I run a ADJ Galaxian all the time and a Microh MK11 occasionally and both are nice products. Chauvet has a few good products too.

I wouldn't worry about saftey training they are low power lasers you aren't planning on doing surgery with them. If you are going to use a few of them and at school dances I think some DMX training would suit better

If you're in the US lasers in the 4.9 mW (American DJ, etc.) or 10 mW Fat Beam lasers from Chauvet don't require variances for use at your events. If you want to go bigger (Chinese or more expensive US and European lasers) you will require a variance per event.

Remember to point the lasers at least 10 ft. above the ground away form the crowd and any potential idiot that wants eye surgery.

I don't know about illegal to import. As long as you have the proper certification and variance applications in place for their use....

You beat me to it. You need to go through the bureaucratic process to get the approval (FDA if I'm not mistaken) and then the variance for each event. Most people don't do squat about this and just use the lasers, but if something were to happen I wouldn't like to be in their skin.

I actually looked into the certifications and the regulations one time out of curiosity and it's insane what's involved. You have to take into account all kinds of things like reflective surfaces in the area etc because when you get into the category, even the reflected/refracted beams can cause damage.

That fact alone would preclude a good bit of use in many of the venues we work at if the walls are huge window panes, etc. You would have to be very careful to avoid any contact below a certain level which would pretty much mean aiming it straight up into the air.

Oh, which you can't do at an event outside either because those beams can disorient (or worse) pilots flying overhead because the beams will reflect and refract in their windshields (what do you call them on planes) and bounce around the cockpits.

Scary stuff.

I would say haze/fog is strongly desired if not required. It really does bring out the laser element, though VERY minimal effect can be had without it. Definitely if you plan for the lasers to be any kind of selling point or centerpiece in your lighting offering you will need fog.

Strongly agree! Photo from my halloween party just to prove the point!

Attachments

• BLUE.jpg
    BLUE.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 8
I don't know about illegal to import. As long as you have the proper certification and variance applications in place for their use....

I believe the issue is that these lasers are not FDA approved hence the illegality. even with lasers that are FDA approved, with certain strengths/types you will need the certification/variances

Lasers are separated into "classes" as regulated by the FDA and CRDH. Most of the lasers DJs use are Class 2 or Class 3R (formerly Class II or Class IIa, Class IIIa), which require some common sense, but not much else. Class 3B and Class 4 lasers are very dangerous if used improperly. I wouldn't risk importing a laser or buying something from an unknown brand over the internet. The potential liability far outweighs the addition to your show.

Just for fun... here's a video of a laser we showed at Mobile Beat last year. :)

YouTube - Blisslights volumetric laser show in NLFX Professional demo room at Mobile Beat 2010

Ben

Is there haze/fog in that video Ben?

Lasers are separated into "classes" as regulated by the FDA and CRDH. Most of the lasers DJs use are Class 2 or Class 3R (formerly Class II or Class IIa, Class IIIa), which require some common sense, but not much else. Class 3B and Class 4 lasers are very dangerous if used improperly. I wouldn't risk importing a laser or buying something from an unknown brand over the internet. The potential liability far outweighs the addition to your show.

Just for fun... here's a video of a laser we showed at Mobile Beat last year. :)

YouTube - Blisslights volumetric laser show in NLFX Professional demo room at Mobile Beat 2010

Ben

Ben ya might have to shoot me a quote on one of those :triwink:

I find that I'm not allowed to use fog or haze anywhere. Therefore lasers are kinda pointless.

I have a Chauvet Scorpion that really just doesn't show up.

If the event is big enough (pays enough) you can hire the local fire department to come be on "fire watch" for around $50/hr. They will turn off all alarms and you can haze till the cows come home!