LED color charts

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Scott Hanna

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 25, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.djincleveland.com
Is there such a thing as an LED color chart. I really know nothing about lights. I just bought some Blizzard Pucks from Ben.

I can "dial" up red, green, or blue from a value of 0 to 255 to obtain the right color I'm looking for.

I have no idea is this is typical for LED lights. But if it is, is there a chart that says for example...for most lights purple is red-200 Blue-75 Green 10. I would imagine that lights are different and no chart could be exact for every light, but it may give a starting point.

Is that available across the board, or is it available per light, or is it all just trial and error.

PS..i do have an obey 3, so I could dmx them all together and hit "purple". My thinking was that if I only need one color all evening, there should be no need for the DMX.

Thanks!

Scott,

Ben Stowe, NFLX Pro, has a DVD "Event Lighting" that may help you. I got my copy when the Mobile Beat Tour came to Charlotte, NC last month.

I have a better site and think I even posted it before, but it's on my desktop that just died today.

If I get the desktop up and running later tonight I'll post it.

Speaking of colors, I need to do a single purple on all fixtures on the 18th. Isn't that red & blue? I'm thinking on my deliyas, we're talking (dip switches)

1,2 - 100% red
6,7,8 - 100% blue

http://site.auroraeinc.com/Manuals/lp180.pdf

Does this sound correct? I'm being lazy and trying to avoid dmx control/wiring.

I don't have lights, but if the they use the same codes as computer color cords (and the charts linked ARE computer color codes), then you can also use any image editor that has an eyedropper tool to find the color in a photo, enabling you to match a color....

Speaking of colors, I need to do a single purple on all fixtures on the 18th. Isn't that red & blue?

In grade school, you learned that red + blue = purple. But that's using pigments / paint. When using light, 100% red + 100% blue = fuschia. Use 50% red + 50% blue to get purple (Hex code: 80 00 80 )

In grade school, you learned that red + blue = purple. But that's using pigments / paint. When using light, 100% red + 100% blue = fuschia. Use 50% red + 50% blue to get purple (Hex code: 80 00 80 )

he he.....ah, you went to one of them thar fancy larnin school. All we larned was to slop the hogs and pick beans.........

Okay, so should be.....

2 - red 50%
8 - blue 50%

cool beans. many thank-yous, my good man.

Speaking of colors, I need to do a single purple on all fixtures on the 18th. Isn't that red & blue? I'm thinking on my deliyas, we're talking (dip switches)

1,2 - 100% red
6,7,8 - 100% blue

http://site.auroraeinc.com/Manuals/lp180.pdf

Rick,

Let's just take an example of a purple from the site I just listed. I clicked on a purple sqaure and here is the corresponding R, G, B numbers =
R = 128, G = 0, B = 128

To understand the relationship between the dip switches and the numerical values listed on the site, you need to know that 100% of any R,G,B = 255, 50% = 128, 25% = 64.

In the above example you'll need 50% R = dip #2 on your fixture and 50% B = dip #8

So with using dip switches alone you will only have a color mixing control as listed in your manual for Red at 25% = 64, 50% = 128, 100% = 255.

Knowing those limitations for each color and the exact percentages you can achieve, you can predict what exact color mixing is possible via the dip swiches alone. Just plug in those values in the R, G, B on that site and hit "Set RGB" to see the result.

Sorry I can't attch any pictures, my desktop pc is down and I'm using a stripped laptop to post this. I hope it makes sense???

Rick,

Let's just take an example of a purple from the site I just listed. I clicked on a purple sqaure and here is the corresponding R, G, B numbers =
R = 128, G = 0, B = 128

To understand the relationship between the dip switches and the numerical values listed on the site, you need to know that 100% of any R,G,B = 255, 50% = 128, 25% = 64.

In the above example you'll need 50% R = dip #2 on your fixture and 50% B = dip #8

So with using dip switches alone you will only have a color mixing control as listed in your manual for Red at 25% = 64, 50% = 128, 100% = 255.

Knowing those limitations for each color and the exact percentages you can achieve, you can predict what exact color mixing is possible via the dip swiches alone. Just plug in those values in the R, G, B on that site and hit "Set RGB" to see the result.

Sorry I can't attch any pictures, my desktop pc is down and I'm using a stripped laptop to post this. I hope it makes sense???

Yes, oddly enough, it makes sense. Thank you.

Helpful hints with a jab...that's Dave. :triwink: :tritongue:
Jab? Hardly.

It would have been a jab if I neglected to point out the pigment / paint thing.

I included that so you'd know WHY it's different.