Looking for speakers?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
very tempted to get a third 12...cheap enough, backup, good enough for a ceremony and now that i have 2 etx 18's a bit more 'top' might be handy at times.
I run mono so it shouldn't matter, right? Placement is the only issue to 'balance' things out a bit.

I plan to get a wireless way to run a speaker and this would be that speaker...

Just trying to justify the purchase..all help welcome!

Reactions: ittigger
Reactions: ittigger
Worth ditching my QSC K12's for one of Yamaha's offerings? If so, which? I've kept the K12's around because of their low end response for no-sub situations, but they aren't particularly crisp in the highs...

The DXR10 is the sweet spot, IMO, if you use subs. 12s for no sub situations. I personally am not a fan of 15s on poles these days .. been there, done that and had the missing mids to prove it.

The DXR10 is the sweet spot, IMO, if you use subs. 12s for no sub situations. I personally am not a fan of 15s on poles these days .. been there, done that and had the missing mids to prove it.
I agree 90% of my gigs are DXR10's over DXS 18's I bought the 12's for situations where I can use a sub, I do like the DXR8 over the DXs12 combo for small events

Reactions: steve149
8 tops get 12 subs
10 tops get 15 subs
12 tops get 18 subs
15 tops get 21 subs.
for a balance sound based on the air they move, spl and all that jazz.

12's are the most versatile - the DXR you can run in FOH mode and don't need subs for many events. Or you can run them 'flat' and crossver (built in) at 100 for 18 subs and they rock. Not harsh either - some tops when you turn them up the high just squeal.

They have a limit light - i've yet to get it to light. As in , can't get these to limit or distort.

I have a yamaha stagepas 600 which has 10 tops, but a lot less watts, and they work well on 12 subs, but would be woefully lost on an 18 sub (like the etx 18).

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
8 tops get 12 subs
10 tops get 15 subs
12 tops get 18 subs
15 tops get 21 subs.

12's are the most versatile - the DXR you can run in FOH mode and don't need subs for many events. Or you can run them 'flat' and crossver (built in) at 100 for 18 subs and they rock. Not harsh either - some tops when you turn them up the high just squeal.

They have a limit light - i've yet to get it to light. As in , can't get these to limit or distort.

I have a yamaha stagepas 600 which has 10 tops, but a lot less watts, and they work well on 12 subs, but would be woefully lost on an 18 sub (like the etx 18).
I disagree the 10's over 18's sound very very nice and the ten inch top will out run the 18 inch subs, it takes 4 of the subs to ideally match two of the 10 inch tops if going for peak clear volume

Just a 'rule of thumb' - the efficiency, placement, output of the tops and subs will vary the balance.

My 12" subs are great under 10" tops..but they are 750w sub/250w top. Under my 1100w 12" tops they get a bit lost - until I got the gorack then they came alive.

My 12" tops I feel a bit lost over the etx18 subs..thinking of getting a third top (backup, ceremony, other room - lots of other uses I can dream up to justify it..LOL)

But my subs are top line and tops are mid line- if i had both topline or both midline then maybe they would balance better.

Just a 'rule of thumb' - the efficiency, placement, output of the tops and subs will vary the balance.

My 12" subs are great under 10" tops..but they are 750w sub/250w top. Under my 1100w 12" tops they get a bit lost - until I got the gorack then they came alive.

My 12" tops I feel a bit lost over the etx18 subs..thinking of getting a third top (backup, ceremony, other room - lots of other uses I can dream up to justify it..LOL)

But my subs are top line and tops are mid line- if i had both topline or both midline then maybe they would balance better.
I generally use the same brand and line of speakers with each other obviously the are designed and engineered to be used together

8 tops get 12 subs
10 tops get 15 subs
12 tops get 18 subs
15 tops get 21 subs.

Again, not a fan of 2-way 15s over subs .. the 15" driver is just the wrong size for low-mids. If you need the extra bass and can't bring a sub, then 15s are a compromise. 15" 3-ways are a different beast.

Again, not a fan of 2-way 15s over subs .. the 15" driver is just the wrong size for low-mids. If you need the extra bass and can't bring a sub, then 15s are a compromise. 15" 3-ways are a different beast.
I would love to find some good quality lightweight powered 3 way 15's. I used to have 8 JBL SR4732 that were a double 12 with a mid probably my favorite top that I have ever owned they sound great when used over 8 of the JBL dual 18 subs, I no longer have the need or physical stamina for a system like that

I would love to find some good quality lightweight powered 3 way 15's. I used to have 8 JBL SR4732 that were a double 12 with a mid probably my favorite top that I have ever owned they sound great when used over 8 of the JBL dual 18 subs, I no longer have the need or physical stamina for a system like that
I really loved my Yorkville Unity tops .. had (3) 5" mids plus the 15" and compression horn .. just too heavy to lug these days and the powered version is even worse.

i chose the tops i wanted .. the matching sub (dxs18) wasn't out yet..and when it did come out didn't like it.

I could I guess get the matching tops to the subs..but they're 30% more than the tops I got. Reviews rank both very high..both sound good to me at weddings. So cheaper wins this time.

Such is life.

I generally use the same brand and line of speakers with each other obviously the are designed and engineered to be used together

When any company such as Alto, JBL QSC, Yamaha etc. comes out with a 1200 watt/600 watt cont. 18 inch powered sub that weighs under 52 lbs, and no larger than 26.” x 21” x 23” in dimensions and costs under $700 I will buy! :cheers:

Reactions: DJ Ricky B