Looking for speakers?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Kinda like saying you want a Hemi in a Smart Car - and it needs to look stock and weigh less than the original motor, isn't it?
Yeah pretty much...well not really....Hemi in a smart car in this comparison would be like trying to fit a 18" Woofer into a 12 inch enclosure.

I'm looking for Hemi in a Camry with a very light weight frame.

I think the market will get there eventually. ...For now, I'm fine bringing my 41 lb Alto 12 inch Sub. I don't NEED an 18, but if the parameters were what I want then I would purchase...there's no rush on it...the market will eventually come around. I understand some sacrifices might have to be made like a Cabinet that is more prone to potentially cracking due to it's thin structure.

I think the market will get there eventually. ...For now, I'm fine bringing my 41 lb Alto 12 inch Sub. I don't NEED an 18, but if the parameters were what I want then I would purchase...there's no rush on it...the market will eventually come around. I understand some sacrifices might have to be made like a Cabinet that is more prone to potentially cracking due to it's thin structure.

We are probably approaching the limits of minimizing size/weight right now, given current technology.
Woofers already have aluminum frames and neo magnets.
"Class D" amps are lightweight.

That leaves the enclosure. The box must hold up to getting banged around (by the DJ), rigid enough so it doesn't flex (so it sounds good), and strong enough that drunk women can dance on it. It's size is dictated by the driver. Punch the air with your fist. Feel the resistance. No? Now grab a record album cover, 12" by 12", and wave it back and forth. Feel the difference? Dam right. There is a lot of physics behind this, but the short answer is that at low frequencies you need a large surface area (big woofer) to couple to the air, to keep the efficiency high and the distortion low. Someday perhaps we might be able to warp space so we can travel without moving, but we're not there yet.

I don't think the market will get there. There is no replacement for displacement.

The minimum size of an 18" is what it is due to physics, wavelength of sound, etc. I won't rule out a lighter weight, though. If they can develop a plastic or composite that mimics the resonance of baltic birch at subwoofer frequencies,we could end up with some pretty light stuff.

I won't ever say "NEVER"

10 years ago, if you would have asked me if I thought they could have made a battery operated 8 inch portable speaker with it's own amp, and blue tooth capable with multiple ports on it, and the speaker only weighs 18 bs I would have been given a weird look and said "Nope...Not gonna happen...Now let me go and load my 50 lb amp and 61 lb JBL Speakers into my car..."

Class D amps have certainly changed the landscape a little. Physics might be a little harder for engineers to attempt to change.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
Yep, physics are physics.
I suspect they could make a lighter weight cabinet - BUT if it won't hold up then the company will have warranty and rep issues.

You can certainly get the carvin and re-box it wtih say, 1/4" luan. See how that works for ya.

I think 69lbs is amazing- BUT i have to wonder if it will move when cranked up.

Why 52lbs? Why not 53 or 55 or 50? What's magical about 52?

I have an old peavey 18" sub and it's 75 or 85 lbs (passive, carpet covered, no wheels) and it's a lot harder to move and deal with than the etx18sp's that go 112, 114lbs.

I considered getting more 12" subs vs monster 18's - you can get 4 12's for the cost of 2 18's and some of the array setups use paire'd 12's as subs (but they are heavy) and sound good.

Another issue with a low weight sub, is you start to have issues mounting speakers above it. Without 'ballast", you limit the weight (and mounting height) of the tops above it, since in can't counteract the moment arm.

Yep, physics are physics.
I suspect they could make a lighter weight cabinet - BUT if it won't hold up then the company will have warranty and rep issues.

You can certainly get the carvin and re-box it wtih say, 1/4" luan. See how that works for ya.

I think 69lbs is amazing- BUT i have to wonder if it will move when cranked up.

Why 52lbs? Why not 53 or 55 or 50? What's magical about 52?

I really don't want any component of my equipment to weigh over 50 lbs. I'm giving a 2 lb leeway on an 18 inch Sub if I can find one in the future that I like.

Why not 55? Because if I want to stay at 50 lbs or less, then really, 55 lbs is just too heavy :)

If I found a 18 inch 1200+ watt Sub that came in at 53.8 lbs...I would probably bite and purchase it, but I really want something @ 50 lbs...that is the real goal.

Another issue with a low weight sub, is you start to have issues mounting speakers above it. Without 'ballast", you limit the weight (and mounting height) of the tops above it, since in can't counteract the moment arm.

My 10s weigh 27 lbs. My 12s weigh 28 lbs, and my 15s weigh 33.6 lbs. I don't think I would have that issue if the Sub weighs 50 lbs.

Then look for a quality 15 .. RCF SUB 705AS-II vs an Alto TSUB18 .. RCF is lighter (50.7 pounds vs 77.4), more power (1400/700 vs 1200/600), more Max SPL 131db vs 126db (almost double), and better/lower/flatter frequency response (40-120Hz +- 3db vs 37-125 +-10db).

In fact, the 12" version has similar specs of the Alto and it weighs less than 39 pounds.

A 12 inch Sub that weighs 39 lbs. NICE! If I buy a Sub I want to upgrade to bigger for better bass response.

With the 15 inch RCF, I just wonder how hard it really hits. Will it actually provide more punch than the Alto TSUB18? I'd love to A/B them.

The only issue I would have is the price. $949 is what I am finding on Ebay. I am sure it's worth it, but outside of my projected budget.

A 12 inch Sub that weighs 39 lbs. NICE! If I buy a Sub I want to upgrade to bigger for better bass response.

With the 15 inch RCF, I just wonder how hard it really hits. Will it actually provide more punch than the Alto TSUB18? I'd love to A/B them.

The only issue I would have is the price. $949 is what I am finding on Ebay. I am sure it's worth it, but outside of my projected budget.
you need to up your budget if you want quality gear, while the alto is a fine entry level speaker it's quite a few steps down the ladder from RCF quality

They can be had closer to $800 (I think they were on special for $750 at the DJ Expo) .. $855 currently at KPODJ.

Bose f1 is in the high 40s when u remove the plastic stand.
Certainly an option, but the specs are basically the same as the RCF 15" and about 20% costlier. I think it's advantage ceases when not used with the 812 tops since it doesn't have a pole mounting option.

Very true. Does not have a pole, but they fit under the table very nicely with its dimensions.

Last edited:
EV zxa1 12" sub is 46lbs, 700w
ev ekx15 15" is 57 lbs, 1300w
elx 18 is 70lbs.

the etx18, top of the line, is 114lbs..but some of that is the included casters. They're really not that heavy to deal with - I can load them in and out of my car, set one on top of the others - and believe me i can't dead lift 114lbs.

The 12" speakers you have to lift - into /out of the car, onto/off the dolly - so while they are lighter the amount of weight you move, need to move, isn't that different.