Looking for suggestions to have music in a park that won't allow a DJ.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
The activities committee I've done a few events for is having their annual cookout August the 20th. The chair wanted me to provide music for the cookout. I really wanted to do it. I had to tell her you must have a sound permit to do this or face a fine. She looked into it at the park they are having this cookout. their 30th annual cookout and was told in that park they don't allow a DJ to play there. She was told there is another park that they allow such a thing. it's too late in the date to change parks. I agreed with that.

So now she would still like to have some music in the park. People have come there using their car radios. Just looking for an alternative to having a DJ in this park. A solution that won't break the bank. Especially since it can't be but so loud. keep in mind there is no electricity anywhere in this park. What would you suggest? Looking for the experts here to give suggestions.

Wireless Bluetooth speaker. Of course the question goes why is it your problem? You will not be getting paid. I would wish them good luck and tell them next year to check the laws for the park they are planning to use next year.

Solving this problem seems to negate the need for a dj in the future....is that in your best interest? If they don't allow a DJ I can only assume that is more due to noise than the fact that someone was annoyed by someone instilling forced fun on a private party. To try to circumvent the rules and have canned music instead of a dj isn't the best advice you could provide imo. If you insist on being an accessory to bending rules, any small portable boombox or stereo will do, albeit relatively poorly. To suggest a sub-par solution just makes you the scapegoat, not the problem-solving hero. Think about those things for a minute.

Wireless Bluetooth speaker. Of course the question goes why is it your problem? You will not be getting paid. I would wish them good luck and tell them next year to check the laws for the park they are planning to use next year.
She checked already and she got the name of the park they can do it in next year. The reason for me helping out is I've done a few different events for them. Nothing wrong with trying to help out since they have used me several times. Also it's a setup for next year. They will remember me and want me to be their DJ in the park at the right park. They more than likely would use me anyway since so far they like my work.

Solving this problem seems to negate the need for a dj in the future....is that in your best interest? If they don't allow a DJ I can only assume that is more due to noise than the fact that someone was annoyed by someone instilling forced fun on a private party. To try to circumvent the rules and have canned music instead of a dj isn't the best advice you could provide imo. If you insist on being an accessory to bending rules, any small portable boombox or stereo will do, albeit relatively poorly. To suggest a sub-par solution just makes you the scapegoat, not the problem-solving hero. Think about those things for a minute.
The only way this negates anything in the future is if they choose to have the cookout in the same park next year. Which they are considering having it in a park that will allow a DJ to come in and do their thing.

The big issue with music being played by a DJ in such a place is they really don't want the DJ that will play explicit lyrics and things getting out of control where the police have to come and shut it down. Especially since we're talking Highland Park, NJ.

The only way this negates anything in the future is if they choose to have the cookout in the same park next year. Which they are considering having it in a park that will allow a DJ to come in and do their thing.

The big issue with music being played by a DJ in such a place is they really don't want the DJ that will play explicit lyrics and things getting out of control where the police have to come and shut it down. Especially since we're talking Highland Park, NJ.
Couldn't they play a boombox with explict lyrics too? Not sure how a DJ makes that different.

Couldn't they play a boombox with explict lyrics too? Not sure how a DJ makes that different.
Because the music that the DJ plays through their system is going to be a whole lot louder than a boom box. Thus attracting more people to come over to see what's going on. If the DJs system can't beat out a boom box then there is no need for the DJ.

Because the music that the DJ plays through their system is going to be a whole lot louder than a boom box. Thus attracting more people to come over to see what's going on. If the DJs system can't beat out a boom box then there is no need for the DJ.
So the DJs role is merely to be louder?

Agreed I have played many gigs where you could easily talk over my sound system, I always thought that's what those sliders on my mixer were for, to adjust the volume to an appropriate level
I haven't done many as you said. I only did a few.

So you are going to give me more money then what you will get paid on the job? You just love giving away money. So you have a signed contract and a deposit for this job next year?

So you are going to give me more money then what you will get paid on the job? You just love giving away money. So you have a signed contract and a deposit for this job next year?
Next year hasn't gotten here yet. No I just said I would give you $200 to see if you're man enough to show up. I was just looking online and saw a cheap battery powered speaker for less than $180 shipped. I know it's not the best but it would work. Not to mention it could also work for other applications as well.