Love it when clients want the same price as last time....arggh

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I think this topic is exhausted. All have made fine points, but we are now re-making them for the third or fourth time...

GJ
Actually, we all know that this topic and it's points have been done countless times here and on other forums. It is totally exhausting and oh so hard to ignore. We have been civil, so it's a valid discussion.

Last edited:
I thought this was our reference point to providing a professional experience for our clients?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NospIS8mpKo

I try to wiggle my butt more, and make sure the microphone is a bit more muffled. He does use just the right amount of wires hanging in the front though. :)
What else do you see here? I see a guy standing on a chair to capture what is obviously some folks having a great time.

Maybe this guy is a family friend? Maybe he's autistic or has some other disability? Maybe he's just doing what he loves for whoever will give him the chance? The real joke here is the two fools on the other end of the camera who are more interested in exploiting this fella rather than being gracious guests.

What else do you see here? I see a guy standing on a chair to capture what is obviously some folks having a great time.

Maybe this guy is a family friend? Maybe he's autistic or has some other disability? Maybe he's just doing what he loves for whoever will give him the chance? The real joke here is the two fools on the other end of the camera who are more interested in exploiting this fella rather than being gracious guests.

I wish we knew the truth! It would be nice if this particular DJ comes out of the woodwork 8 years later. I doubt he was Autistic. The two individuals filming would not have posted it on the net if that was the case if they had the thought that could be the case.

Everyone wants Good Value for their dollar. That is just perceived at different levels by different clients.

You are exactly right

It looks like I am booking this same date on a wedding here in Baltimore. $1,350 for 5 hours. Different than a party, but couldn't the same be said? Why didn't the $1350 client think that our price is too much? I'm not even providing any lights for this price either. Am I over charging this client because there are others who could show up and play music for $400?

Ricky I've seen you here say you have quoted prices from $300 to $1500 you are all over with prices. If the Halloween party was worth $550 to you what makes this one almost two and a half times more valuable? I don't know your market but I would suspect in that area $1350 is probably a decent rate for a wedding but you have done them for A LOT less by times. What makes this one different?

If we minimalize what we do as DJs, and show that to customers, then all they will ever want to pay you is a minimal fee for your service. If you believe that all a Halloween Party is ever going to be worth is $300 for a DJ, then that is all you will ever book them at. If you are fine with $300, then that's up to you. Why not quote $1,000 for that Saturday night Halloween party? Do they just want music, or do they want an entertainer who will bring a awesome fog and light show, and take them on a kick ass musical journey for their Halloween party? Have any of you ever asked for $1,000 for a Halloween Party? Probably not? Why? Is it just not possible?

No actually I haven't...As a matter of fact I can count on one hand the amount of DJ gigs I have done that were $1000 or more. In most cases I'm more than double what others are charging but it's nowhere near the 1K mark

You have hit exactly what I was saying earlier..YOU minimized what you were worth the first time and CONTINUED to minimize in may of this year...YOU trained the customer that you were worth $335 then expected them to jump with joy at a 65% increase 5 months later. If you had upped the rate in May of this year even half or your increase then did it again they may have understood all they think now is you are riping them off when actually you are giving them a break from your normal rate

Responses in Blue and Bold

We have all made these mistakes before but you have to learn by them. Start by making yourself a rate card and stick at least close to it

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
I wish we knew the truth! It would be nice if this particular DJ comes out of the woodwork 8 years later. I doubt he was Autistic. The two individuals filming would not have posted it on the net if that was the case if they had the thought that could be the case.
Isn't this you from just last year? We all live and learn. Screenshot_2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8

Do you know who filmed it? Just curiosity

The two individuals filming would not have posted it on the net if that was the case if they had the thought that could be the case.

I wish that were true, but cyber bullying and ridiculing most certainly does exist. All kind of inappropriate things are posted by those making fun of others.

I wish that were true, but cyber bullying and ridiculing most certainly does exist. All kind of inappropriate things are posted by those making fun of others.
Exactly, and people don't take the time to care about why things are happening. They just want to laugh and gawk.

Reactions: ittigger
I would argu that the value of entertainment today is the same or more than in the past.
I know many musicians and they make the same or less dollar than they did 20,30 years ago, and that dollar buys a lot less today. People would rather stream music or buy $1 song than spend money on an album.
Nobody I know buys 'stereo equipment' anymore - I assume it's still sold but my kids, who have the option, choose to use earbuds or cheap headphones or a blue tooth speaker.
I've tried to show the audio difference of a qualty stereo...they dont' get it. (must take after my wife).

Part of the lower value is we're inundated with 'entertainment' - $6 a month gets you everything netflix offers and you can watch it anyplace, I've got dish nad hundreds of 24/7 channels and a DVR and on-demand options as well.

Satellite radio plus over the air radio plus half a dozen plus online streaming music sources and more every day (like apple music).

And I'm not even talking about video games/apps and the like.

You pay for what you have to pay for, and pay more if its' hard to get. Entertainment isn't hard to get.

Not exactly.
Yes, technology has lowered the value of facilitating prerecorded music playback - which is what historically characterized mobile DJs.

However, innovation and social change has transformed the value proposition for these events to entertainment rather than simply music. Thus, the value of a DJ has declined substantially while the value of entertainment still advances with respect to talent, creativity, and competitive availability.

Just because someone describes himself as entertainment - does not make it so. There are real entertainers working in the field today that utilize DJs in their offerring, as well as a plethora of DJs pretending to be entertainers. It is the latter that are the most vocal critics of customers who don't get their "value."

I don't get what you are trying to point out? Wires are not dangling all over the place.
I personally don't care what anyone uses, but would you not get called out by someone like yourself for that display? They might also point out that all of your promo videos are just dance floor segments. Everyone dances Ricky. Where's all that stellar talent?

The point is that you can pick apart just about anybody. So, we might consider being a little more humble and stop concerning ourselves with things that don't have any direct bearing on what we do.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Yes, if you want food you go to mcdonalds and if you want a dining experience you go to TGIF.

And bottles of water are a commodity.

The challenge is many prospects see DJs as bottles of water - a commodity where the cheapest option is often the chosen one.

If you are trying to charge more then you have to convince the prospect that there is extra value to them in that higher price - a better experience or peace of mind or some such.

And there in lies the challenge!

To most customers we all play the same music. they don't know a home speaker from an L1, a top from a sub, and don't want or need to. Maybe bragging (too strong a word probably) about one's gear shows expertise and is a sales pitch that you hope impresses them (aka builds value).

I do great if I can get them on the phone- personality is a value I bring. But getting past the price and onto the phone is the challenge.

What's unreasonable is that you assume that value is a property of the cheeseburger - it is not. The value is defined by the customer's desired outcome.

If I want a cheeseburger of predictable consistency, in hand in under 3 minutes without having to get out of the car - then McDonald's is a substantially higher value than TGI Friday. If on the other hand, I want to kick back and socialize while someone else cooks and waits on my family, then clean up after us as well - then TGI Friday sounds like a good deal. The cheeseburger does not play any substantial role in closing that deal.

Just as you suggest comparing bottled water to bottled water - you must equalize the desired experience BEFORE you try to assign value to the cheeseburger. In that respect you can compare McDonald's to Burger King, or TGI Friday to Joe's American Grille, but cross comparison of the experience is meaningless.

I do that..and then still second guess myself. LOL
I want $100/hour for performance time...but I know in this market that's hard to get. Maybe for weddings, but little else.
I got a call for a wedding yesterday for saturday, guy's DJ bailed. 4 hours, I said $400...he got someone for $275.
I got a gigmaster quote for a 'homecomeing fund raiser dance, 300-400 people' and bid $440 ($40 to rent two 18" subs, plus gig's $22 fee). so I'm under what I'd like...followed up with a phone call...waiting to hear, not sure I will.
Got a call for HOG christmas party, 100 folks at a firehall, 7-11pm. I told her $300 and since their dinner started at 6 and I'd rather not be setting up as they eat I'd do 6-11. got the gig. Got a HS reunion for a similar price (4 hours on that one).

Unless / until I build a great reputation I'm at $75ish an hour around here. I'm probably in the commodity price range, I know i"m similarly priced to many full time experienced DJs, just not the high end ones (there are a few, damned few).

Responses in Blue and Bold

We have all made these mistakes before but you have to learn by them. Start by making yourself a rate card and stick at least close to it

You don't see the wires coming over the table?
it's quite common and I don't think consumers notice or even care.
If you put up a clean setup you need to bring this up during a sales consult, or better yet, on your website or in an email.

There is a minimal amount of wiring on top of the table which is required to connect the equipment. Audio cables to mic transceivers, RCA cable to mixer, and my head phone cable. No bride or client is going to gawk at that.

However, having large cords and wires dangling down the front of the table and all over the floor in the front is certainly something a Bride might notice, or think at the very least that it would be dis organized looking. Will they say something about it? Probably not directly, but it might reflect in their review.

I have seen a few online reviews where the bride mentioned that the set up was dis organized looking, but that was usually on top of a bunch of other problems they had with the service.

I am willing to bet that if a DJ provided excellent service, and the bride was happy, but actually did have a dis organized looking set up, then the bride would probably overlook how the set up looked, or may not have even noticed at all.

I have a Table Topper Façade...I use it often, but not all the time. Sometimes I don't feel the need to set it up, and just go naked with the mixer/laptop stand in front. Years ago there use to be more on the table, so this simple set up looks even more attractive than it use to back when I was using a passive system.

Ricky - If you listen to the video .. right after he makes the song announcement, a female in the audience (not sure if it's the videographer) says "He's trying to be a DJ!". Seems that DJing is not this person's career .. though maybe he's a "closet DJ".

Maybe another 5 to 10 years from now we will be using all battery operated mixers, microphone transceivers, no power cord to laptop, and sending the music via blue tooth or other wireless transmission to battery operated speakers effectively canceling out any wires at all any where. Would it be cool? YES ...Would it be necessary, or would our clients even care about that? Probably not.

Reactions: dunlopj
I am willing to bet that if a DJ provided excellent service, and the bride was happy, but actually did have a dis organized looking set up, then the bride would probably overlook how the set up looked, or may not have even noticed at all.
I would not take that bet; at least not for every bride. I have worked with brides who were very concerned about vendor appearance at their reception. Especially if they have hired a planner or decorator to make the venue look just like they dreamed it would.

Reactions: DJ Ricky B
Everyone wants Good Value for their dollar. That is just perceived at different levels by different clients.

It looks like I am booking this same date on a wedding here in Baltimore. $1,350 for 5 hours. Different than a party, but couldn't the same be said? Why didn't the $1350 client think that our price is too much? I'm not even providing any lights for this price either. Am I over charging this client because there are others who could show up and play music for $400?

If we minimalize what we do as DJs, and show that to customers, then all they will ever want to pay you is a minimal fee for your service. If you believe that all a Halloween Party is ever going to be worth is $300 for a DJ, then that is all you will ever book them at. If you are fine with $300, then that's up to you. Why not quote $1,000 for that Saturday night Halloween party? Do they just want music, or do they want an entertainer who will bring a awesome fog and light show, and take them on a kick ass musical journey for their Halloween party? Have any of you ever asked for $1,000 for a Halloween Party? Probably not? Why? Is it just not possible?

There are photographers who charge $250, and photographers who charge $5,000. Why would someone want to pay $5,000 to some guy or gal stand there and take pictures? I could hire a guy to do that off of Craigslist, and have the "same" pics for years to come to look at. I could have my friend Bob use my smart phone to take some sweet pictures for free even!

You still don't get it. You keep referring to the "quote" as though the numbers themselves have some mystical power without any reference to the event itself. You can talk yourself up all you want to the WRONG customer profile but, selling sit down dinners through the drive through window is a fool's errand. If all the customer needs is a cheeseburger on the go - then you're going to have to cite an overwhelmingly compelling condition that they have overlooked to convert them to anything more.

Yes, I've done $1,000+ Halloween parties but, those jobs had requirements that more closely resembled a Bar Mitzvah not just a baseline DJ who can play Monster Mash.