Weddings "Love Story" - How To?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Dec 22, 2008
Roseville, CA
www.sounds2go.com
Alrighty folks! Seems to be an awkward limitation to our search that doesn't allow (in a way I've found) to search out a phrase. Put in words "love story" in quotes, and it returns results for the two of them as separate terms.

Soooooo....

Anyone do Love Stories? I got my first inquiry about one and I'd like to give it a go, so any help, info, materials, tutorials, etc would be helpful.

Also, if you know of any threads relevant to it in here and want to post links so we don't re-tread old ground, I'm more than happy to be sent on my way - that's what I was originally trying to do.

Thanks!

I do them. Attached is the questionaire I use in DJEP.

After they fill out the questionaire I work up a script using the information. I pass the script by them.

Once they have approved the script I break it down into segments and record each. This makes for easier editing. I then pick several songs for a music bed to fit each segment and any sound effects that might fit.

I put all of that together and voila, one nice Love Story.

Attachments

• Love Story Information.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 50
I do them. Attached is the questionaire I use in DJEP.

After they fill out the questionaire I work up a script using the information. I pass the script by them.

Once they have approved the script I break it down into segments and record each. This makes for easier editing. I then pick several songs for a music bed to fit each segment and any sound effects that might fit.

I put all of that together and voila, one nice Love Story.

Most excellent, thanks! Mind if I hit you up directly about this - maybe even via phone some evening?

Good info - thanks again!

1. What do you do by way of scripting and presenting this to the Bride & Groom?

2. Also how long are these Love Story's?

3. Are they usually presented before, during or after dinner?

4. How are you promoting them?

5. What kind of time table do you use from getting the information to creating the approved final production?

1. What do you do by way of scripting and presenting this to the Bride & Groom?

I take what is given in the questionnaire and creatively add body to it. I then e-mail that to the bride and groom.

2. Also how long are these Love Story's?

About 2 minutes. You don't really want to go past three.

3. Are they usually presented before, during or after dinner?

However you wish to arrange it with the couple. The best spot is usually just before their introduction.

4. How are you promoting them?

As a unique idea at the interview.

5. What kind of time table do you use from getting the information to creating the approved final production?

I tell them that I need the questionnaire completed at least thirty days before the wedding. Most interested in having a Love Story have it to me well before then.

For that 2 minute spot how much production time do you average per Love Story?

LOL... why does it matter? Won't you just include it in your "one low rate" anyway? :sqlaugh:

J/k!

Seriously though, I'll make a determination as to charge after I do this first one - if they even end up going with me and deciding to do it - I'm certainly not going to try to charge for the first one out of the gate.

I've spent as much as two hours editing music for weddings before, so I don't know that I'd even end up charging extra for it. Depends on how they want it executed (with music, pics, etc..)

For that 2 minute spot how much production time do you average per Love Story?

About an hour.

Since I introduce this at the interview as something unique, I don't charge for it and won't until clients start abusing it. Abusing it is letting me produce it and then deciding not to do it or making numerous changes.

Interesting that we will all talk about if they want this extra or that extra there's a charge for it.... there's a charge for Overtime there's a charge for extra lights, extra gear.... and the list goes on.... yet the extra hour it takes to produce and the specialized recording equipment and mixing software required to produce a high quality recording doesn't equate the same?

I've been researching this beyond this thread and even before this thread. If I start doing these I'm going to want a basic home studio including studio mic/mixer/multi-track recording software and hardware interface. All this to produce pristine recordings.

I did all this because, although I haven't purchased the necessary equipment yet, because I wasn't satisfied with the quality of my voice over I did for the "Mission Impossible" garter removal this year. Too much hiss and pop in my voice dub even though I was able to cover it up with a music and effects bed.

Isn't going through the trouble of using the right equipment prior to an event worth something? After all it isn't a necessity for any reception to have this it is an Extra Feature presented at the reception but created prior to the reception = Time and effort.

I don't mean this to sound like a GWYW item but.... don't we charge extra in some cases for Lighting, Karaoke, Customized Monograms... etc...?

Interesting that we will all talk about if they want this extra or that extra there's a charge for it.... there's a charge for Overtime there's a charge for extra lights, extra gear.... and the list goes on.... yet the extra hour it takes to produce and the specialized recording equipment and mixing software required to produce a high quality recording doesn't equate the same?

I've been researching this beyond this thread and even before this thread. If I start doing these I'm going to want a basic home studio including studio mic/mixer/multi-track recording software and hardware interface. All this to produce pristine recordings.

I did all this because, although I haven't purchased the necessary equipment yet, because I wasn't satisfied with the quality of my voice over I did for the "Mission Impossible" garter removal this year. Too much hiss and pop in my voice dub even though I was able to cover it up with a music and effects bed.

Isn't going through the trouble of using the right equipment prior to an event worth something? After all it isn't a necessity for any reception to have this it is an Extra Feature presented at the reception but created prior to the reception = Time and effort.

I don't mean this to sound like a GWYW item but.... don't we charge extra in some cases for Lighting, Karaoke, Customized Monograms... etc...?

If I do a custom sound mix, yes I charge for that. But the love story is just telling a short story that can be written in a matter of an hour or so. Most of the time I am thinking the story out while doing other things at home.

If I do a custom sound mix, yes I charge for that. But the love story is just telling a short story that can be written in a matter of an hour or so. Most of the time I am thinking the story out while doing other things at home.

And that's what I'm talking about and what others are doing.... they are producing a pre-recorded "Love Story" on a bed of music, hence my question about what to charge for it.

And that's what I'm talking about and what others are doing.... they are producing a pre-recorded "Love Story" on a bed of music, hence my question about what to charge for it.

For a custom sound mix I charge $125.00 and allow up to two "edits". It is $25.00 per edit after that. I have never had anyone ask for more than one edit.

I can normaly (sp) do the custom mix in less then 2 hours.

I can understand that - I'm going for the gold!:sqlaugh:

As to Rob's point, I may well charge for them in the future after I have a realistic understanding of what is involved before and during the event - I definitely left that open above.

What I won't/can't do though is charge for this one or for the first few. I'm not going to charge for it until I can develop and execute them flawlessly. From there on, it probably will be an additional upgrade/charge. That being because not everyone is going to want them (obviously - one couple brought it up in 5 years!!!), so I'm not going to artificially inflate my rates to account for them.:sqcool: