Weddings "Love Story" - How To?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Diana flew to Cali. for the 2 day workshop. We charge around $300 to add this to our package. She holds a degree in Journalism and will write and rewrite several times.
Then her Toastmasters skills kick and it's rehearse, rehearse, rehearse until it flows smoothly. She reads it live (mostly from memory) and all she'll have is bullet point cards to keep her on track. She reads and I play the music bed. That leads us right into their first dance.

Diana flew to Cali. for the 2 day workshop. We charge around $300 to add this to our package. She holds a degree in Journalism and will write and rewrite several times.
Then her Toastmasters skills kick and it's rehearse, rehearse, rehearse until it flows smoothly. She reads it live (mostly from memory) and all she'll have is bullet point cards to keep her on track. She reads and I play the music bed. That leads us right into their first dance.

How many would you do a year Scott

The problem with most of this thread is the idea that you can learn something on a chatboard & your instantly great at it, or atleast "good enough". I see way too many DJs that view Love Stories as nothing more than the Next Chicken dance. Just schtick that they will deliver over & over the same way or nearly the same way every event.

Love Stories aren't schtick. They are way more than that. Many times I have not even used music beyond a single bed for the entire thing. Sometimes not even using music at all! Just delivering a solid story without props or music gags. Most of the time it is @ 10 minutes. I research things, write it, rehearse it then deliver it from memory using elements I have placed into it for the just in case this reaction happens. Having them in the arsenal makes the deliverytopical & relevant, yet buttery smooth. Preparation is the key for success at anything.

All that I see Frank & Mitch say is that workshops can make you better. Who can really argue with that? Spending a couple days with others, watching them perform, watching you perform & giving critique. That is a workshop. There is NO Mark Ferrell Way to do the love story as most of you are assuming.

What are taught are techniques, methods of mic work, prose & selection of words. Not specific words, but examination of how to do it better. I took several acting classes back in the 80's. They were situational workshops designed to hone my skills as an actor. I got to have my work, my performance evaluated by someone that sees hundreds of actors a year.

I got feedback from an actor I respect that was also in that class. He had been in major films & I was just trying to tread water. I learned from what he had to offer. Did I go out & talk like him & act like he would act? no, rather I realized that he was helping me to find my center. My way of using my talent & personality to maximize the audience response to my performance.

I applaud the post starter for not charging for it until they feel they have developed & learned. I would also suggest not doing one at all until you've done a few dozen in practice. Take the next 12 weddings you have, follow all the steps you think you might need. Ask the questions, get your information. Then script it, record it, then watch it. Learn before doing is much better than doing something poorly in public.

I never charged extra for anything I did regarding introductions, custom music beds, or stories. To me that just seems cheap. Rather I charged enough for my services to begin with that I didn't feel I needed to piecemeal my services. Full time, part time I could care less, but are you running a real business with a business plan & keeping real books? Those I care about.

There is such a negative energy here most of the time, not sure why. But many that do visit & post here regularly have made that exact comment to me.

In this thread there have been people harshly posting about people that they don't even know anything about, that they have never met or spent any time talking to, yet they post as if they have knowledge or authority to do so. Blasting down on people they don't even know just because they can. What a load of crap.

That's the reason that nobody visits chat sites anymore. People just want to pound on who ever they disagree with. The term agree to disagree is tossed out with the need argue.

My words to the thread starter? Don't do one until you really learn how. Don't do one publicly at a wedding until you have done a dozen for the camera. Learn & become proficient at it before you do it on somebody's wedding day.

Learn before doing.

Jeff: BTW I typically did 30+ a year for 5yrs

Thanks for the great response!

The problem with most of this thread is the idea that you can learn something on a chatboard & your instantly great at it, or atleast "good enough".

I could be, yes. ;P

I see way too many DJs that view Love Stories as nothing more than the Next Chicken dance. Just schtick that they will deliver over & over the same way or nearly the same way every event.

Fortunately I haven't see site of that here yet, but I havent honestly read the last page or so. I could see the tendency however.

Preparation is the key for success at anything.

See that? Thats why they call you the DOCTOR!:sqcool:

All that I see Frank & Mitch say is that workshops can make you better. Who can really argue with that? Spending a couple days with others, watching them perform, watching you perform & giving critique. That is a workshop. There is NO Mark Ferrell Way to do the love story as most of you are assuming.

There has been that element for sure, but also the not so subtle implication that anyone not using these tools is foolhardy to even broach the subject, let alone attempt to take them on. I think thats what might have rubbed a few the wrong way.

I got feedback from an actor I respect that was also in that class. He had been in major films & I was just trying to tread water. I learned from what he had to offer. Did I go out & talk like him & act like he would act? no, rather I realized that he was helping me to find my center. My way of using my talent & personality to maximize the audience response to my performance.

Awesome.

I applaud the post starter for not charging for it until they feel they have developed & learned.

Well thank you.

I would also suggest not doing one at all until you've done a few dozen in practice. Take the next 12 weddings you have, follow all the steps you think you might need. Ask the questions, get your information. Then script it, record it, then watch it. Learn before doing is much better than doing something poorly in public.

Great idea!

I never charged extra for anything I did regarding introductions, custom music beds, or stories. To me that just seems cheap. Rather I charged enough for my services to begin with that I didn't feel I needed to piecemeal my services. Full time, part time I could care less, but are you running a real business with a business plan & keeping real books? Those I care about.

Same here.

There is such a negative energy here most of the time, not sure why. But many that do visit & post here regularly have made that exact comment to me.

I haven't seen negative energy except in response to judgmental or condescending attitudes.

My words to the thread starter? Don't do one until you really learn how. Don't do one publicly at a wedding until you have done a dozen for the camera. Learn & become proficient at it before you do it on somebody's wedding day.

Learn before doing.

Great!

You know in some ways, I have to agree with Drax...there are some here that are so defensive/negative when it comes to certain things. Mark Ferrell may not be Mr. Love Story..that being said he's developed a method that he's successful with ..,,,so successful that he's been able to offer seminars and many have paid to learn from his experiences. These people that pay are not "sheep"; they are business men looking to better their business...

many here tend to look down their noses at them....I think some need to divest themselves of this "unwanted toy" syndrome.....

What's wrong with learning? What's wrong with paying to learn? What's wrong with making more money? What's wrong with bettering yourself?

Sounds.

The problem is that a love story is more than what most here think it is or should be. The real issue that is problematic, it if not done incredibly well, how ever it is done, it comes off cheezy, self serving & really, really boring.

I can say with confidenece that Mark Ferrell, love him or hate him is incredibly talented at this aspect. I was lucky to hear & see video of him delivering such nearly 10years ago. I can tell you that despite so many preconceived notions about him. He is a good man, & a good coach. He is very talented.

Do how or what you wish, but really, seriously. Learn before doing. Take some vocal coaching. learn to really control your voice & make it work for you.

After you get one on tape that you really think rocks. Show it to somebody that isn't a DJ. get some feedback. Ask for critical feedback, not attaboys. Critical feedback while sometimes painful can really help you the most. I am thankful for that critical feedback given to me by the actor referenced above.

I was shocked when his turn came & he asked ME what I thought he could improve on! I learned that even the most talented people still look to learn & grow via feedback from their peers. I use that loosely based upon what they had done vs what I had.

Learn then Do. The most valuable thing I learned in that class.

What's wrong with learning? What's wrong with paying to learn? What's wrong with making more money? What's wrong with bettering yourself?

There is nothing wrong with learning; however, there are some individuals in the DJ "industry" that have set themselves up at the defacto standards. Mark is not one of them, I might add. These folks tend to collect followers and if you don't do it their way, you are wrong.

I have done the Love Story in numerous ways. I just choose to keep it short and sweet.

I may take a course in it some day but right now my concentration is developing some marketing using web techniques in lieu of traditional advertising.

Drax,

Your words are wise, and appreciated. I will definitely do my homework before doing my first one - this one couple is in July of next year. PLENTY of time to study and prepare. This couple picked, me in a neck-to-neck race with another dj locally who does the love stories and it peaked their interest so they asked me about it. I was completely open about not having done one to-date, but explained I would be glad to work with them on it and do my due diligence to work with them on it. So it's a case of complete and total transparency, and they know what's what.

Any amount of confidence I have in myself and my abilities (however justified) to meet and exceed their expectations for this part of their wedding is going to be seen by some as fool-hardy arrogance, naivete, and whatever else by some here. That's inevitable, and it doesn't bother or dissuade me in the slightest.

NOTHING is ever "perfect." Perfection does not exist. What does exist, and what I and many others here possess, is a desire to always hold myself accountable to it personally and professionally as an ideal. Everything I've ever done since starting my business has been done only as I feel personally that I am able to do it or take it on, and every step of the way with 100% transparency to my clients as to my experience. That's just who I am and how I do business. This kind of approach is appreciated by clients who can tell when you are giving something everything you have, and are doing your best to make their day the best that you possibly can.

You can bet I'll post the results here, good or bad! :sqlaugh: