MACYs to close 100 stores nation wide

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
The only items on Amazon you shouldn't be paying taxes on are those you resell.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
I never pay any taxes on items I buy from third party sellers, just like with Ebay.
Amazon has been collecting sales tax in many states for a while: Amazon.com Help: About Sales Tax Most other places only collect sales tax if they have a presence in a state .. for CT, we are "supposed" to pay a use tax for any out of state purchase where a sales tax wasn't collected.

Change how?
What will draw you in?

Service? macy's etc - and I see that segment shrinking the most. Be that economics (too few people making the money to go there), alternatives (walmart, target) or online/newer younger buyers.

Music? dancing girls? a pizza shop? Target has a Starbucks, walmart 1 a duncan donuts, walmart 2 a subway.

I'll pay a bit more to get it now. I can order it - and it comes to me, nice, but it can (with amazon's free shipping) take a week at times longer.
Locally I will pay with my time and gas.

Today I went to the gas station, mcdonalds, liquor store, home depot, walmart and two car parts stores (needed a feeler guage and the first one had none..but then I didn't ask for help..i googled teh other store and found they had what i wanted in stock, found it on their shelves (5 choices!), and done, i'm home.

I also bought a candy bar...an impulse buy..does that exist in online shopping? If not it's gonna hurt profit margins at some point I'd think. But then maybe the trend is away from impulse buys?

I can only speak for myself - but service says alot. I will pay more for quality service and a quality product.

Reactions: SEDJ
You're supposed to pay sales tax an everything that you're not reselling.

So you buy stands or an amp or such, for business use or not, you owe the sales tax.

now if you're reselling those items then the buyer you sell to will pay the sales tax.

What exactly is taxable varies by state, but the concept of Sales and Use Tax is pretty consistent from state to state.

If the item is taxable and the seller didn't collect and pay it to the state then the buyer is responsible to do so.

Use Tax Commonly Asked Questions - Wisconsin Department of Revenue

I only have to collect PA sales tax on sales to PA residents, or on services performed in the state.

The gray areas are many..I shot a wedding over the weekend..they signed the contract in my studio (in PA) the bride lives in PA. I did the engagement session in PA. The wedding ceremony and reception where in WV, the fun pictures in the park in Ohio. TECHNICALLY I owe ohio income tax for the part of the money earned in ohio, and WV for the work done there. Perhaps sales tax too..no clue on that.

My CPA and tax man tell me to just act as a PA business and if anyone comes along to question it, deal with it then. And my county charges 6% sales tax, one over (pittsburgh) charges 7%...and I go there often enough, but don't 'do business' there - as in have an office, sign contracts, collect money.

Amazon will collect sales tax IF they have a dist center or presence in the state they're selling/shipping from and to. PA requires business to collect it. PA can't however make B&H in NYC collect PA sales tax as they have no presence in this state. I'm responsible as the buyer to pay the tax as a 'use' tax.

I don't pay taxes on Amazon for business purchases, there is a form you can fill out, technically if you buy something fo non business use and don't pay tax you are committing a crime those purchases are supposed to be reported and taxes paid

Last edited:
Amazon has been collecting sales tax in many states for a while: Amazon.com Help: About Sales Tax Most other places only collect sales tax if they have a presence in a state .. for CT, we are "supposed" to pay a use tax for any out of state purchase where a sales tax wasn't collected.
Right, we started paying taxes when Amazon opened up their first fulfillment center here in 2007, we have have 5 currently , AZ has a TPT tax

In PA DJ/entertainment isn't subject to sales tax,but all photographic services and products are. So I have a sale tax number and have to file monthly, pay monthly.

On the form (their website) is the question about Use tax (and other various taxes, like if you sell cell phones you have to pay a $1 tax per phone for 911 services, and a few other odd items like that).

PA can be weird - shipping is taxable IF what you're shipping is taxable..and not if it's not. Most clothing here is not taxable, but photos are. So if you order a photo from me and shipping is $5, I must pay PA 30c (6%) of that $5 ship charge. If you buy a shirt with the picture on it, I don't.

How likely are you to get busted? The second year I was in business I got a sales tax audit...so you never know!

And being open to the public you never know who your next customer may be...a zoning officer, an IRS agent..I've had both.

In PA DJ/entertainment isn't subject to sales tax,but all photographic services and products are. So I have a sale tax number and have to file monthly, pay monthly.

On the form (their website) is the question about Use tax (and other various taxes, like if you sell cell phones you have to pay a $1 tax per phone for 911 services, and a few other odd items like that).

PA can be weird - shipping is taxable IF what you're shipping is taxable..and not if it's not. Most clothing here is not taxable, but photos are. So if you order a photo from me and shipping is $5, I must pay PA 30c (6%) of that $5 ship charge. If you buy a shirt with the picture on it, I don't.

How likely are you to get busted? The second year I was in business I got a sales tax audit...so you never know!

And being open to the public you never know who your next customer may be...a zoning officer, an IRS agent..I've had both.

Come to the DJ Expo...You can buy as much as you want TAX FREE!!!

It must be some sort of "SHOW/EXPO" loop hole. Every year I buy items straight cash without the tax. Most of the deals being advertised are 15% off, but then if you pay no tax, you also save more money...In Maryland sales tax is 6% on DJ equipment.

I don't expect to buy anything big tomorrow, but who knows...maybe I see a light I all of a sudden must have...

Come to the DJ Expo...You can buy as much as you want TAX FREE!!!

It must be some sort of "SHOW/EXPO" loop hole. Every year I buy items straight cash without the tax. Most of the deals being advertised are 15% off, but then if you pay no tax, you also save more money...In Maryland sales tax is 6% on DJ equipment.

I don't expect to buy anything big tomorrow, but who knows...maybe I see a light I all of a sudden must have...
again it is your responsibility to report that you purchased those items and pay the appropriate sales tax on them

I do sports photography and you won't see sales tax listed in the prices. It's there - a $22 package is really $20.75 plus 6% sales tax.

So who knows what's going on at the show - NJ should check into it, they may be losing a lot of tax revenue - charged on out of state businesses and customers so they can lower the taxes on their own residents! (a point often brought up in tax debates in PA, toll increases on the turnpike, gas taxes, etc)

And yeah, you probably owe tax on those items. And I'm sure you're the only one in the entire USA not reporting and paying! LOL

Reactions: DJ Ricky B and SEDJ