Meeting today went well.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I had a meeting with a bride today in Jersey City at the Newport district. We met at Starbucks. It was crowded inside so we held the meeting outside near the water front. The meeting went well. Her fiance couldn't make it because he had to work. We both were running a little late. I hate that on my part but she was OK with it.

As it turned out she's a photographer so when i quoted her the price for the photo booth she was expecting that. She got to see my camera and said it was a nice camera. I liked the fact that i didn't have a hard sell for the photo booth. I brought my camera, laptop and rolling briefcase. We had a good time and she liked what i presented to her. The one bad thing is i didn't have any video of us in action as i told her i just recently bought this camera and that our contract ask is it OK for us to take pictures and video. I had a few pictures on a flash drive as that the new guy with the company could only put a few pictures on the drive because we had to hurry up and get to the meeting.

I told her i would send her an email with some more pictures later. Things went very well with this potential client. She let me know she had only attended 2 weddings. So she wasn't sure what to expect for her wedding. I told her my job is to help coordinate her wedding. It was up to her what she wanted for her wedding. We went over different things she wanted including the music. I showed her our wedding planner form and contract. I made it my business to point out how important that the DJ to perform at her wedding have a wedding planner form to go over all the important details of her wedding.

She mentioned she did want the groomsmen to come in on a theme from a song from the NBA. I saw that as different. I did mention that the songs for the entrances need to be songs that are upbeat and not songs that drag on or are too slow. You want to get the crowd excited about being there at this reception.

Finally was time for the painful part i told her. How much it would cost for us to be their entertainment at their wedding? I gave her the price for the photo boot of $1,095.00. The cost for the DJ at the reception with the equipment i told her would be $895.00 and another $200.00 for the MC. I did tell her considering the cost for this wedding i could take off between $100.00-$200.00. She let me know that she did have to talk to her fiance and she would get back to me on Monday.

Before hand i did let her know that we never play any music with swear words in them and that she didn't have to worry about getting a drunk DJ to do the job, as we don't drink. I'll tell you something else about what i told her later as i don't want to make this opening to long and drawn out.

Reactions: 2 people
oh great I have a headache!

Reactions: 1 person
So what happens if they don't pay the $200 to MC? You don't make any announcements?
What are you talking about? Of course the show will go on. I don't know how you do business. Maybe you just throw in such a service. I just decided to let them know what it would cost them for the MC part. I could have just as well gave them a price that would have included an MC. I just could have told her $1,095.00 which would have included the cost of the MC. Either way the if this bride books us to be their entertainment at this reception she will have an MC.

What are you talking about? Of course the show will go on. I don't know how you do business. Maybe you just throw in such a service. I just decided to let them know what it would cost them for the MC part. I could have just as well gave them a price that would have included an MC. I just could have told her $1,095.00 which would have included the cost of the MC. Either way the if this bride books us to be their entertainment at this reception she will have an MC.

So this $200 fee is for an additional MC ? Why would she pay for another MC when the DJ will (or should be able to) handle the annoucements? If you do you not feel confident using the microphone I suggest you pick another profession.

Oh let me guess Mix, your going to pay the MC only $100 and pocket the rest.

Do you list a price for bringing speakers? Wireless mic? Making announcements is part of being a wedding DJ. You can't separate the two and list each as a service. Just go with one price point.

So this $200 fee is for an additional MC ? Why would she pay for another MC when the DJ will (or should be able to) handle the annoucements? If you do you not feel confident using the microphone I suggest you pick another profession.

She said she wanted a DJ and MC. Get it. I can make announcements as far as that goes but to MC a wedding don't you need to be out in front? So when would you keep your mind on what music to play and when if you're out in front? MC should be the one concentrating on what they need to do and the DJ should be able to concentrate on what they need to concentrate on which is playing music.

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you get this additional MC? The MC will do just what it does. There will not be 2 MC's. The DJ's job if that is me will be to play the music and take request if the client says it's OK.

I normally don't jump into Mix's threads because....well...I think we can take a guess lol.

But this has to be the most IDIOTIC thing I have ever heard!!! Charging a client extra to make the announcements? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!

I am sorry, but I seriously do not understand what you are doing in this business if you can not make announcements and handle the music at the same time.

Reactions: 3 people
You do not have to be out front to be an MC. Being an MC is all about tempo and flow, going from one element into the next. Compare it to a conductor. Good luck :)
You're all right. I'll just email her and cut the $200.00 price for the MC. I just sent her a text message.

I have seen both where the Client hired someone to MC at a Wedding and other events. I know lots of Great MCs who get hired just to keep things going, Wedding, Club, Productions etc. It depends on the Client and what they want. Mix is correct. Sometimes the MC has to be out front to engage the crowd/guests and the DJ is behind his Booth. You can't be in two places at the same time.

MC Duties can be much more detailed than just making announcements. I had one last night at a 20 year HS Reunion at a Country Club. There is no way I could know all the History of those people and how they interacted with each other 20 years ago as the person who actually did the MCing. I made the Music Program announcements.

You're all right. I'll just email her and cut the $200.00 price for the MC. I just sent her a text message.

Dumb move. If you start volunteering discounts after the meeting, she'll know that you'll come down even more (provided that she wants your services in the first place). If you quote a price at a meeting, STICK WITH IT.

Reactions: 5 people
MixMasterMachoMachoMan! I was under the impression that the charge for the MC was for a 2 man package. Give your partner the 200.00 for the MC work and you keep the remainder. Don't offer discounts..

Reactions: 1 person
Reactions: 4 people
Do you list a price for bringing speakers? Wireless mic? Making announcements is part of being a wedding DJ. You can't separate the two and list each as a service. Just go with one price point.

Well actually I charge extra for a wireless mic. It's not really the norm to have wireless in my area and I didn't get it for free why should they. I also charge extra to MC (not make announcements I mean really MC). That being said it's not normal for the DJ to be the MC throughout dinner and cocktails here in Canada so in my case it's extra prep time involved, extra time the day of, and an extra body to control sound

lol I have an IV in BOTH arms

one of Coke and the Other Bundy Rum!!

I'll say i blew it on the MC to charge or not to charge. I'm just dying to get this gig because I've never made so much from a wedding before. I just hope the bride doesn't see this as a desperate attempt to get the gig and say no way he is desperate for work.

Mix you need two things...A solid business plan that will tell you what you should be doing and the confidence to apply that business plan.