My VERY minimalist setup from yesterday.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Papa Deuce

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2006
Valley Forge Area
Was my father in law's 90th birthday party yesterday. I had to pretend not to be a professional DJ because I didn't carry enough insurance for the place. I have a 1M policy and they wanted a 2M policy for a company to DJ there. So we just told them that I was the son in law who was just a hobbyist, and they were fine with that...... ( sounds like backwards thinking to me, but hey... ) But they said that for someone to DJ as a non professional, gear must be kept to an absolute minimum........ I think this pretty much qualifies.

Also, I played music from the 1940's ( his era ) all the way to today's top hits...... and the number one song that was danced to? We Are Family........ well, except for closing with a final slow song - Amazed, by Lonestar. I can't believe We Are Family still pulls people onto the floor at this point, but it clearly did.

Attachments

• smallsetup.jpg
    smallsetup.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 76
We can start a contest on what is the minimum system you've used .. other than losing the controller, not sure you would have any contest.

We can start a contest on what is the minimum system you've used .. other than losing the controller, not sure you would have any contest.

I'd put my compact and MP3 player in that contest.

Alesis TransActive Portable Powered Bluetooth Speaker System

I love it, I only use if for my rehearsal system but its easy just to use your phone bluetooth. It does not get easier than this. This is a battery powered speaker. The battery is supposed to be about 7 hours.

I have also used the earlier version of this speaker for ceremonies were there was no power and brides and grooms were going to use nothing for music. So for them this was a huge thing to have sound were not one else could.

I've already used my smart phone plugged into ONE powered speaker for cocktail music.

I've used this for a Ceremony rig (laptop or mp3 player). 150 watts.

8620351.jpg

I've also used the source and powered speaker thing for a quick toast or speech .. but never to actually DJ a party like Chuck did.

I've also used the source and powered speaker thing for a quick toast or speech .. but never to actually DJ a party like Chuck did.

I would never do it at a paying gig unless it was an emergency, or a a bubble party....... bubble parties are so much fun..... except carrying in all the hula hoops, the bubble machines...... props....... lots of gear. More than most of the adult events I do. Fortunately the gear is not expensive, so I kind of sling it here and there.

Ours get used a lot. I've used them for cocktail hours. Backyard stuff, senior citizen stuff, patio re enforcement, retail gigs., back up

We have 3. Probably getting another one soon.

I just saw this item on GC's website while looking for an affordable ceremony solution. Would any of you recommend using this for a small ceremony? Like for less than 100 people outdoors? I don't have many speakers yet, and this seems like an awesome alternative as opposed to me using one of my primary powered speakers for ceremonies.

I just saw this item on GC's website while looking for an affordable ceremony solution. Would any of you recommend using this for a small ceremony?...
Bryan... ya kinda have to show us the item you're asking about, since WE were not with you when you saw it on GC's website!!![emoji1] Normally I'd just read your mind, but I can't seem to find my mind-reading glasses.[emoji1]

Reactions: ittigger
Bryan... ya kinda have to show us the item you're asking about, since WE were not with you when you saw it on GC's website!!![emoji1] Normally I'd just read your mind, but I can't seem to find my mind-reading glasses.[emoji1]

Oops! I didn't scroll up after using the search button for the previously listed (in post #5) "Alesis TransActive Portable Powered Bluetooth Speaker System". That was the item I was referring to. Man, I feel like an a**!

I don't know if there has been any upgrades/changes made to that system (the Alesis) since the OP of post #5 posted it. It got awesome reviews, and it's battery powered. It claims to have 150' range, but I was wondering if anyone here had any recent experience with it. Especially outside :)

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Oops! I didn't scroll up after using the search button for the previously listed (in post #5) "Alesis TransActive Portable Powered Bluetooth Speaker System". That was the item I was referring to. Man, I feel like an a**!

I don't know if there has been any upgrades/changes made to that system (the Alesis) since the OP of post #5 posted it. It got awesome reviews, and it's battery powered. It claims to have 150' range, but I was wondering if anyone here had any recent experience with it. Especially outside :)

I wouldn't do it. Too weak and, my opinion, my clients' opinion of me would likely get dinged if I tried to use a toy like that. I've seen these used at a couple of country clubs by the cleanup crew when they wanted some tunes lightly playing while they cleanup. I wouldn't consider using these for anything for which I'm being paid.

Reactions: BryanK
I'd say look for a used compact. They are $1k new, but there are some used available.

We will be using 5 tomorrow...doing 5 retail shows from 12-4.

Used 2 last Saturday at a wedding. One for the ceremony, one for cocktail hour..as they were in different places on the complex. 22lbs with handle. Takes 1/4", 1/8", xlr, rca. 2 channels.

If I could only keep one kind of L1's, it would be the compact. They get used a lot

Reactions: BryanK
I'd say look for a used compact. They are $1k new, but there are some used available.

We will be using 5 tomorrow...doing 5 retail shows from 12-4.

Used 2 last Saturday at a wedding. One for the ceremony, one for cocktail hour..as they were in different places on the complex. 22lbs with handle. Takes 1/4", 1/8", xlr, rca. 2 channels.

If I could only keep one kind of L1's, it would be the compact. They get used a lot
I like the Bose Compact and would have no qualms about using one for a ceremony system. It's not really a substitute for a battery powered system, though. I can see where it might be tempting to have a small system you can use in a pinch, that requires no wires or power sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Bose Compact and would have no qualms about using one for a ceremony system. It's not really a substitute for a battery powered system, though. I can see where it might be tempting to have a small system you can use in a pinch, that requires no wires or power sources.

Yes, it is with a battery pack :)

My view, I've yet to see a powered speaker with built-in battery that is better than a simple marine battery with power inverter. With that simple setup, which costs less than $100, I can power speaker(s), mics and laptop for several hours.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
My view, I've yet to see a powered speaker with built-in battery that is better than a simple marine battery with power inverter. With that simple setup, which costs less than $100, I can power speaker(s), mics and laptop for several hours.
Yeah... I've seen videos where guys are running a Bose Compact off a Duracell 600 battery pack, and they say it will last about 2 hours. That's enough time for a ceremony, but not for a party.
What battery pack do you use, and I wonder how long it might power one of my Alto TS112W Bluetooth speakers? That would make a great ceremony system. It has a mic input.