Weddings New dj needs help making a playlist

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

CrazyJon

New DJ
May 1, 2009
new jersey
ok well im not a professional dj or anything but i have a bunch of dj equipment that i picked up here and there and i upload cds onto itunes or download it from there. i have a pretty huge selection of a lil bit of everything. i started out with all this as kind of a hobby, anyways iv only played at a few partys for friends of mine which was basically a backyard party wit a bunch of drunks playing some hip hop and club style music. So now heres my issue my best friend is gettin married in aug and he asked me to come set my equipment up and dj his wedding reception for about 5 hours and i have no clue were to start making the playlist for that and what order to put that in, iv never done a wedding reception just mainly a few back yard partys here and there like i said, but he begged me to play for him because he cannot afford to hire a wedding dj so like a sucker i agreed. i know its not gonna b a hudge crowd or nething and they all now im not a pro at this and i have played music for most of the people already that will be there so im not stressin bout messing this up but i was just wondering if somebody already had a 5hr hour playlist set up in order that they wouldnt mind me using. now my best friend and fiance are around my age there only 25, a little bit young to be gettin married i know but hey its his life and he just came home from iraq n shes pregnant at the momment and this is what they want. they are looking to hear a lil bit of counrty, hip hop, classic, rock, and alternative music but i just dont feel right playing hip hop music at a wedding in front of a bunch of older people. Seems like an odd mix of music to me. So if anybody would be able to help me make a playlist that will last about 5 hours for the reception i would greatly apriecate it like i said im kinda new to playin in a professional scene in a rented hall n everything so im also open ears to any advise anybody would be willing to give me....thanks for you time....Jon:sqconfused:

ok well im not a professional dj or nething but i have a bunch of dj equipment that i picked up here n there n i upload cds onto itunes or download it from there. i started out with all this as kinda like a hooby to keep myself entertained lol. anyways iv only played at a few partys for friends of mine which was basically a backyard party wit a bunch of drunks playin some hip hop and club style music. worked out pretty good i didnt get any complaints but now heres my issue my best friend is gettin married in aug and he asked me to come set my equipment up and dj his wedding reception for 5 hours and i have no clue were to start making the playlist for that and what order to put that in, iv never done a wedding reception just mainly a few back yard partys here n there but he begged me to play for him so like a sucker i agreed i know its not gonna b a hudge crowd or nething and they all now im not a pro at this so im not stressin bout messing this up but i was just wondering if somebody allready had a 5hr hour playlist set up in order that they wouldnt mind me using. now my best friend and fiance are around my age there only 25 young to be gettin married i know but he just came home from iraq n shes pregnant at the momment. they also mentioned to me that wanted a lil bit of hip hop music blended in to along with the older stuff for the familys. but i just dont feel right playin hip hop music at a wedding for a young couple n a bunch of older ppl seems like an odd mix of music to me. i figured i could start off wit love songs and the slow dance music n then pick the beat up a lil bit n play some rock for the older age group into dance music like the electric slide cotten eye go macarena etc and then move on into the younger generation with like the cupid shuffle the cha cha n then into some club music. so if anybody would be able to help me make a playlist that will last about 5 hours for the reception i would greatly apriecate it like i said im kinda new to playin in a professional scene in a rented hall n everything so im also open ears to any advise anybody would be willing to give me....thanks for you time....Jon:sqconfused::sqconfused:

Jon...if you'd care to go back and edit your post to create some punctuation so that we could read it, you may get some more help. It's hard to help those that appear to be a 15 year old kid talking on IM, here on a professional dj site. ;)

Then go over to the thread on the example of a wedding agenda and you'll see what happens at a wedding.

Jon...if you'd care to go back and edit your post to create some punctuation so that we could read it, you may get some more help. It's hard to help those that appear to be a 15 year old kid talking on IM, here on a professional dj site. ;)

Bravo! And capitalization.

My Advice is to not do it. If you have only done one backyard gig, then you are not near enough ready. I am not trying to be mean, but there is a high probablility you will make some severe mistakes and potentially ruin the reception.
You need to have a nice clean appearance so you don't junk up the pictures. I mean yourself of course with dressing nicely and also the appearance of your equipment. You also need to know how to program a dance floor and keep it moving. You also need good mic skills, an adequate library of music other than hip hop and club. Do you have lights? Do you have black extension cords? Can you provide proof of insurance if the venue requests it? I could go on and on. Find a wedding DJ and have your friend hire them and see if the wedding DJ will allow you to tag along. I know I would if someone in my area asks.

im just gonna paint my extension cords black....... i rekon that will work

oh yea an to the original poster, have you been to alot of weddings? if so you'll see theres usually alot envolved in being a DJ for receptions. im not saying dont do it..... but you better do you homework
good luck

EXACTLY! I didn't even read past first line cause of this. (even though I wnat to and can't wait to see how far this will go!) You can't make this stuff up!!

Now I am going to use Standard American English, So I apologize if you have a hard time reading this. there will probably not be text message language or slang. (slight jab intended)

I know you know what to play as far as the latest hip hop and maybe even R&B a bit, so what I add will be other useful music for a wedding reception.

OKAY, Here is a start for a playlist. Let's see if we can fill 5 hours.
(no cut and paste, just great songs that come to us:))

This all depends on the taste and age your "clients".

DINNER MUSIC
The Duprees - You Belong To Me
Buddy Holly - True Love Ways
The Beatles - I Will
Beach Boys - The Warmth Of The Sun
Diana Ross & The Supremes - Back In My Arms Again
Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine Is Weak For You
Stevie Wonder - If You Really Love Me
The Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving
Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed
George Harrison - Give Me Love
Ringo Starr - Only You (And You Alone)
John Lennon - #9 Dream
Tony Orlando & Dawn - Knock Three Times
The Partridge Family -I Think I Love You
Todd Rundgren - Hello, It's Me
Redbone - Come and Get Your Love
Andy Gibb - I Just Want To Be Your Everything
Natalie Cole - I've Got Love On My Mind
KC & Terry Desario - Yes, I'm Ready
Al Jarreau - Roof Garden
Madonna - Crazy For You
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Extreme - More Than Words
Bobby Brown - Rock Wit'cha
Sade - By Your Side
Xscape - Just Kickin' It
Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
Three Plus - Honey Baby
Daryl Hall - Cab Driver
Simply Red - Sunrise
Kenny Chesney - No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
Tim McGraw - Watch The Wind Blow By
Garth Brooks - Lost In You (Chris Gaines)
Backstreet Boys - Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)
311 - Love Song
Mandy Moore & Jonathon Foreman - Someday We'll Know
Usher & Alicia Keys - My Boo
Fergie - All That I Got (The Make Up Song)
Keyshia Cole - Brand New
Jojo - Anything
Jaheim - Beautiful Girl
Van Morrison - Someone Like You

Next?

I agree with Dan that you should ATTEND at least one wedding
(as a tag-along, not as a guest)
and observe before you jump in.
if you cannot experience a wedding before hand
and you cannot explain your situation to the friend who is hiring you...
definitely check out the other threads.

also, the easiest way to think of the night's music
is to NOT think of your second song while the first song is playing.
sit down before hand and write down a road map to follow
think of a bunch of good slow songs that cover most age groups
then write down some good songs from the 50's and 60's
then a couple of motown, r&b kinda songs
then a couple of good disco songs
do the same thing with with rock, hip hop, and party-songs
and keep going till you have a list of songs covering various types of music.
use it as a reference, feel free to add and subtract songs once you start seeing how the crowd is reacting.

and the easiest way to not annoy a crowd with the wrong type of music
is to stick to the older stuff in the beginning
and save the newer stuff and rowdier stuff for the end.
the older crowd usually gets on the floor early and leaves early
the younger crowd usually waits till they have a few drinks to get dancing.

but regardless...
don't ever feel like to have to STICK to a specific plan...
if something aint working, try something else
if one kind of music works well, go back later and try some more.

I agree with Dan that you should ATTEND at least one wedding
(as a tag-along, not as a guest)
and observe before you jump in.
if you cannot experience a wedding before hand
and you cannot explain your situation to the friend who is hiring you...
definitely check out the other threads.

also, the easiest way to think of the night's music
is to NOT think of your second song while the first song is playing.
sit down before hand and write down a road map to follow
think of a bunch of good slow songs that cover most age groups
then write down some good songs from the 50's and 60's
then a couple of motown, r&b kinda songs
then a couple of good disco songs
do the same thing with with rock, hip hop, and party-songs
and keep going till you have a list of songs covering various types of music.
use it as a reference, feel free to add and subtract songs once you start seeing how the crowd is reacting.

and the easiest way to not annoy a crowd with the wrong type of music
is to stick to the older stuff in the beginning
and save the newer stuff and rowdier stuff for the end.
the older crowd usually gets on the floor early and leaves early
the younger crowd usually waits till they have a few drinks to get dancing.

but regardless...
don't ever feel like to have to STICK to a specific plan...
if something aint working, try something else
if one kind of music works well, go back later and try some more.

Top notch response here! Great experience shows here.
This is good advice for anyone!

Are there any New Jersey DJs here who want to help this new DJ out? It sounds like he's willing to learn and since the wedding is in August, he might benefit from shadowing a DJ in a May or June wedding. :)