Weddings New dj needs help making a playlist

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Jon,

If you are going to do this as anything more than a hobby, ie for money, please do consider looking into a legally purchased music collection. This will benefit you, your guests (the files you are playing no doubt sound like crud/mud), and will see you avoid some serious possible legal ramifications.

The "I have a laptop and Limewire - Look ma... I'm a dj!" mentality isn't anything to build a business on.

Acquiring legal music will show that you are willing to invest in what it is you are doing, and that you take it more seriously.

Don't forsake ethics and integrity for convenience... and if it is hard for you to see up front how those two qualities might translate into or apply to dj'ing, lay low for awhile and hang out here - you'll see those qualities and others exhibited by dj's here in spades, and will learn a lot in the process.

Best of luck to you!

Ok, is it me or does anyone else think this may be someone from ODJT's past (hell, maybe present) trying to f$#@ with us? Could it be 'Crazyjon' is a name aimed at mocking JT? And, the post just 'shrills' all the things that someone that may have been here awhile would know to say and do to get a rise out of the group.

.....just wondering if anyone else got the same feeling or not......

And now, I'm going to run and hide as the pummeling begins.

Dear ODJT and Members,

I regret that I have neither the patience nor the desire to willingly contribute to a community that fosters, through tolerance, silence, and misdirected discipline, malice, and disrespect toward members that have enough experience and sense to spot fraud at first light, that very fraud and behavior that clearly has a negative impact on an industry and craft in which I derive the income that helps support my family and way of life.

My regret is that I will communicate with the few quality members, some allies, some antagonists, some friends, substantially less frequently because I will intentionally restrict myself from visiting.

Participation is a form of endorsement. Endorsement is a form of approval. Approval begets duplication.

Peace.

Dear Dan, Ducky, The future Mr. Ducky, and the other facilitators,

Because there is not an "I told ya so" smilie, please accept this as my expressed and admitted sarcasm notification.

Sincerely,

Rocky Bourg
[email protected]

Ok, is it me or does anyone else think this may be someone from ODJT's past (hell, maybe present) trying to f$#@ with us? Could it be 'Crazyjon' is a name aimed at mocking JT? And, the post just 'shrills' all the things that someone that may have been here awhile would know to say and do to get a rise out of the group.

I had the same thought, for a millisecond :sqwink:, but it still bears addressing as it ain't the first, or likely the last such activity. It is fostered here and will continue until it is rejected.

... Also, your entire reception is not going to be playing music. Here's some of the things that happen at a wedding.

1. Introductions (Music)
2. Grand Entrance (Music)
3. First Dance (Music)
4. Blessing (maybe, maybe not)
5. Toast(s)
6. Meal (Background Music - something good for digestion. Most of my clients go for Rat Pack (Sinatra, Martin))
7. Father/Daughter Dance (Music)
8. Mother/Son Sance (Music)
9. Garter Removal (Music)
10. Garter Toss (Music)
11. Bouquette Toss (Music)
12. Cake Cutting (Music)
13. Open Dance (Party down - Lots of music)
14. Farewell Dance (Music)

1 to 3 are going to take about 10 minutes. 4 to 5 another 10. 6 is about an hour. 7 & 8 about 10 minutes. 9, 10, 11, and 12 about 10 minutes. 14 will take about 5 minutes. So, we are looking at about and hour and 45 minutes of formalities. There may also be a cocktail hour prior to the introductions for which you will play background music; most of my clients pick instrumental love songs or light jazz. That will be an other hour of time eaten away for a grand total of two hours and 45 minutes. So, you will only really need a play list of about three hours to be on the safe side.

So, how'd I do on the help-o-meter?
Simply fantastic. Thanks, Tom. :)

I don't believe I've ever seen the wedding formalities posted on a forum site before. This is a big help for folks getting a start in the wedding DJ biz.

why is that i join this site seeking advice from "pro djs" and a majority of wut iv gotten back in nothing but a bunch of criticism from a bunch of grown ass men acting like little kids in a chat room. its ok ill figure this all out on my own i said i do this as a hobby on the side im not looking to become a pro. I just wanted advice on a few songs and a couple of tips to help me out. thanks to those of you who aren't acting like *******s

okay Jon you need to have the good with the bad (I might add you have a really awesome name) or you will be ill prepared like so many who think what we do is merely a hobby. Knowledge, Experience and skill are not free items to be snatched out of the sky. Even if given a meal ticket for success all by hand out including illegal methods you could seriously ruin ones special day.

I hope for the couples sake the tidbits you did get and hopefully you will use might help you squeek through the cracks.
Some of us child like grown ass men worked hard to gain our space within the profession. I revert to my initial post in this thread. You got some guts.

why is that i join this site seeking advice from "pro djs" and a majority of wut iv gotten back in nothing but a bunch of criticism from a bunch of grown ass men acting like little kids in a chat room. its ok ill figure this all out on my own i said i do this as a hobby on the side im not looking to become a pro. I just wanted advice on a few songs and a couple of tips to help me out. thanks to those of you who aren't acting like *******s

You asked for a playlist, I delievered your first 90 minutes. What else do you want? And how dare you call Ducky a grown a** man! She was on your side Jonny!

...you could seriously ruin ones special day.

The fact that he doesn't care about the potential results is evidenced by the fact that he doesn't care about how he conducts himself.

Where there is no desire to conduct oneself professionally, there will be no real concern for the outcome, nor will there be any real consequences should it go south.

"It IS just a hobby after all..."

Still can't write like an adult? Can't help ya....

okay Jon you need to have the good with the bad (I might add you have a really awesome name) or you will be ill prepared like so many who think what we do is merely a hobby. Knowledge, Experience and skill are not free items to be snatched out of the sky. Even if given a meal ticket for success all by hand out including illegal methods you could seriously ruin ones special day.

I hope for the couples sake the tidbits you did get and hopefully you will use might help you squeek through the cracks.
Some of us child like grown ass men worked hard to gain our space within the profession. I revert to my initial post in this thread. You got some guts.

yea wel i was unaware of thoses facts but i am now and if you makes you feel better 90% im my music is legally purchased from itunes with an invoice and or uploaded from cd's that i have purchased from over the years the other 10% yes is ripped mp3's

yea wel i was unaware of thoses facts but i am now and if you makes you feel better 90% im my music is legally purchased from itunes with an invoice and or uploaded from cd's that i have purchased from over the years the other 10% yes is ripped mp3's

LOL.... you seriously think having a RATIO helps you out? :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh:

You're either legal and compliant or you're not! The judge isn't going to give you "10%-of-a-fine" when the RIAA sues you and wins! :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh:

Jon:

Some CYA advice, make a list of the 10% that is not and visit iTunes or Amazon and legally purchase them.

If you do wish to become a pro, take a look at some of the music subscription services.

Honestly, I did have the idea that you were using Limewire in the back of my mind and I also figured that maybe you aren't getting paid for the wedding. But then I remembered my beginnings back in 1983 and decided to help anyway.

Don't let the azz's on this site get you down. Get your collection 100% legal and then flip the bird at them.

LOL.... you seriously think having a RATIO helps you out? :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh:

You're either legal and compliant or you're not! The judge isn't going to give you "10%-of-a-fine" when the RIAA sues you and wins! :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh:

Sounds To Go has a point here, CrazyJon. Take note of what illegal MP3s you have and replace the ones that are worth keeping for gigs with legal copies. Wipe out the ones that aren't worth keeping for gigs. As you replace MP3s, wipe those illegal copies. Also, stop sending lists to your buddy for him to download off Limewire. From now on, legally purchase whatever you need.

As a side note, the reason that I recommended Amazon is because the quality of the MP3s are superb - way better than anything off iTunes, in my opinion. :)

There is nothing wrong with doing this as a hobby, but as with any hobby, do the best that you can.

Jon:

Some CYA advice, make a list of the 10% that is not and visit iTunes or Amazon and legally purchase them.

If you do wish to become a pro, take a look at some of the music subscription services.

Honestly, I did have the idea that you were using Limewire in the back of my mind and I also figured that maybe you aren't getting paid for the wedding. But then I remembered my beginnings back in 1983 and decided to help anyway.

Don't let the azz's on this site get you down. Get your collection 100% legal and then flip the bird at them.

haha thanks i think ill do that i didnt realize everyone takes this dj stuff so serious. its not like i was trying to offend anybody. i mean like i said i usualy just do this to add some fun to the back yard partys and now that im being kind of drug into an actual gig i came to the pro's but there only seems to be a few people like yourself interested in helping people rather than giving them criticism because of how they type or because there not a "pro" i dont consider myself an actual dj. im just a radio man pretty much. i make a few playlists set up a few lights and make jokes on the mic for everyone now and then. but again thanks for the help and ill take ur adivce on getting rid of the mp3's